Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

VroomGrrl Finally Learns the Art of the 911 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:05 AM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VroomGrrl Finally Learns the Art of the 911 Oil Change

As often happens when I seek out "help" to learn how to work on my car, my helper ends up doing most of the work, with me acting as sidekick and videographer. I am not complaining! I learned a lot. I had no idea how easy it was to change the oil, and now that I've seen the whole process up close & personal, and done bits of it myself, I feel fairly certain I can do the next one on my own. Score! Thanks to my local friend John for the tech session. Of course, there's a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOTqqcS5aOM
Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM
nosub
Instructor

nice, would be easier to follow, etc. w/out the background music though. Hard to hear what is being said much of the time...
Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Shack2112
Advanced

Have to agree with Nosub on this one.

I have to mention though that your a true inspiration to the newbie's out here. You must have a great following with your videos. VroomGrrl thank you !
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by nosub
nice, would be easier to follow, etc. w/out the background music though. Hard to hear what is being said much of the time...
Maybe you can repost the video w/out the music?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I knew how to make movies and stuff with my handycam. I'd post tech stuff all the time if I did. VG, your vid editing skill has me envious, but for tech it would be better to hear what he's saying.

Next time, go ahead and get your hands dirty. You need to be baptized with some 20w-50.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Cool video, well done, but have to agree the music was a little to loud for my taste. I wanted to hear the engine!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,..where's that torque wrench girl?

Best,

Doyle
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Great... pretty soon you'll be like me and tackling all sorts of projects that are way over your head. And when it comes time for you to install race seats and harnesses, let me know. I am now an expert since I've done it about 10 times. OK - so it was the same two seats 10 times. And so it took me 3 months to get them in. And so they knew me at Lowes as "that race car driver chick who's always looking for M8 8.8 nuts and bolts,"... well, you get the picture. I'm an expert

Brakes pads next?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Well done Vroom - gettin' yr hands dirty on yr beloved P car just adds to the P experience. You get to see parts of yr car you didn't know existed. Why not use ramps or stands to lift the car and make changing the oil a tad easier??
Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Thanks, yall. Sorry about the music, it's hard to tell when formatting what the levels are, and my software is not the most sophisticated. I'm reformatting the video without music right now and will post the new link here later once it's up on YouTube.

Rusnak, if you have a way to get your video footage from your handycam to your computer, you can do the editing in Windows Moviemaker which comes with many versions of Windows. It's pretty easy to pick up, if I can figure it out anybody can I promise you. And don't worry, I got my hands plenty dirty, which is why not everything is caught on video. I actually had to put the camera down from time to time and DO STUFF

Doyle, the torque wrench! Yeah, about that. It was at home, in my Porsche bag, which I've taken to keeping in my daily driver since the Porsche bag has all my decent tools in it and the daily driver was crapping out on me for awhile there. Speaking of which, that car (Camry) taught me how to change battery posts. Easy peasy, and another little thing I can do for myself. Yay. Anyway I forgot to load it up for this little drive to my friend's. It also had my custom funnel in it, which I could have used. Oh well, and also, DOH!

Not only did we not properly torque the plugs when we put them back on, but only one plug got a crush washer on it. The sump pump plug didn't appear to have one on it when we removed it, so we didn't put one back on it when we replaced it. But later we found the crush washer in the waste oil. AHEM.

I still need to find the torque specs for the plugs. If anyone knows off the top of their head, do tell. It's probably in one of these great Porsche project books I have around here. Somewhere.

911vet - I've had one brake pad tutorial but I need to do that again and take some more time to get my hands in there myself. And I need to add brake bleeding to my next brake session for sure. Your car is looking soooo sharp with the new seats & harnesses, wheel, the whole deal!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Here it is without the music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6VSlME0aQ

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. I would not have my great car without the help I got from you guys, much less have the nuts to take a wrench to it!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't think any task is beyond the desire to learn what's what. I was 3 months into ownership of a '68 911 when I ended up with a holed piston. Two weeks later I had a completely disassembled engine on the garage floor. Oh, and I was 18 and had never really done anything beyond tune-ups and brakes. 911s are wonderful cars to get to know intimately!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 59 Posts

Great video!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 AM
porsche2fst4u
Instructor

Loved the video!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Don't think any task is beyond the desire to learn what's what. I was 3 months into ownership of a '68 911 when I ended up with a holed piston. Two weeks later I had a completely disassembled engine on the garage floor. Oh, and I was 18 and had never really done anything beyond tune-ups and brakes. 911s are wonderful cars to get to know intimately!
Sounds like you learned by trial by fire.

Quick Reply: VroomGrrl Finally Learns the Art of the 911 Oil Change