Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C Switch Bracket for Console Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Switch Bracket for Console Delete

Finally finished this, with an addition.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, man. That's seriously cool. Want. Want badly. Will have. What did you make it out of?

(Elayne want the clock back in the car and this looks like a good way to do that.)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need one of those for Pumpkinmobile, which is getting new lights as soon as I can figure out how to make a similar switch console. I just bought an El Cheapo sheet metal brake from Horrible Fright.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Altimeter came out of a Cessna, variety unknown. I bought it several years ago at Terry White's aviation salvage place just east of Kansas City on I-70. Everything from Cessna's to jetliners.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Paul, the bracket is what I am interested in finding out more about. Altimiter is cool, but the bracket it is mounted on is even cooler.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

I designed and fabricated the bracket, with some help. It is one piece of AL with the sides folded back. There is also a top flange that is folded forward at less than 90 degrees to compensate for the downslope of the area under the dash. Bends were made on a break.

The bracket is mounted to the underside of the ashtray, which is in turn bolted to the dash structure above it. All of the original structure and ashtray itself remain more or less intact in case some future owner wants to return to stock. The regular aviation post light is plugged into the wiring for the stock ashtray light.

The bare AL bracket was sandblasted and primed, then painted with a wrinkle paint from a chain auto parts store. That turned out too shiny for my taste so I hit that lightly with regular flat black black to knock it down a little.

Making something like this w/o the altimeter hole would be a piece of cake (but having access to a break is a big help!). Making the hole for the altimeter was the hardest part of ot.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Steam Driver, what did you use to make those cuts? A band saw? I want to do something similar. Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

I mocked the thing up in cardboard then made a template to use as a pattern.

Once it was laid out on the AL I cut all of the straight edges on a shear but it could also be done with a bandsaw or even hacksaw (but more finish work required). The radius was bandsawed in short segments and then smoothed with both grinder and file.

The hole for the altimeter was made with bubblers; I just made a hole in the center large enough to get them in and started and nibbled it out, aided by filing as necessary. I did all that prior to making any of the bends.

All this left the AL scarred in places so I media-blasted the whole thing then used body filler and sanding to smooth it all out before priming and painting.

Sounds labor-intensive and it was, but really didn't take all that long.

Last edited by Steam Driver; 03-19-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Correct spelling error
Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

^ That is excellent info. Thank you, exactly what I needed to know. I also need to radius the dashboard behind the console (tight fit for the switches). I bought a profile tool that uses sliding pins. I think I'm going to use tin or Al sheet for the mock up.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Ha, ha! Reading the above I see my iPad in it's infinite wisdom changed a word. I cut out the hole with "nibblers," not "bubblers." Jeez!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
Ha, ha! Reading the above I see my iPad in it's infinite wisdom changed a word. I cut out the hole with "nibblers," not "bubblers." Jeez!
Great. And I just ordered a complete set of bubblers.

Super job there, love the aircraft look on the gauge, and it complements the others nicely.

Quick Reply: A/C Switch Bracket for Console Delete