Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 transmission shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:30 AM
DRO74
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911 transmission shifter?

We want to tighten up the shifting on our 1974 911 with a 915/06 transmission.
Down shifting is really tricky from 5th to 4th. Not sure if the synchros are okay.
It seems to shift okay when you are careful.

There is a gate shift kit from Seine Systems

http://SeineSystems.com/GateShift-1.htm

It seems to be very well thought out.
They refer to an adjustment for the shift housing-to-fork clearance that is only available for 77 and later.

Should we find a later model shift mechanism to add this feature?

What is the best short shift kit to add to this?

Thanks,
Don
Old 07-29-2003, 09:29 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don,

I have no experience with the Seine System, but I can attest to the improvements made by doing some "DIY" maintenance.

There are three bushings that wear out in the shifting linkage. There is a "cup" bushing at the lower end of the shift lever, there is a bushing around the shift rod as it enters the shifter mechanism and there is a shift coupler bushing under the cover behind the seats.

Just replacing these bushings can make a marked improvement in shifting. You might also consider the factory short shifter to further improve and tighten your shifting. The final thing to check is the shifter adjustment; this adjustment is described in the Rennlist Tech section and on the Pelican BBS.

Bruce
Old 07-29-2003, 09:37 AM
Eddie Hotrod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Seine kit, it's awesome, but won't tighten your linkage any. It's more of a safety device to stop you changing from 5th into 2nd and wrecking your motor. 915's only have gates for 5th and reverse, so shifting around the other 4 gears is a bit of a lottery. It does spring load the left side of the gate though, which improves feel quite a bit.
When I installed the kit, I replaced the bushes that Bruce mentions, adjusted the linkage between the rearseats, and put on a new clutch cable and helper spring. And of course put Swepco 201 in the box. Shifting feels 100% better now. I'm not a fan of the short shifter, it puts more strain on already weak synchros.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:32 PM
DRO74
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm going to start with the bearing replacementl and see how that affects the performance. Thanks guys for the info.

Quick Reply: 911 transmission shifter?