Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

930S Steering Wheel Part Number Info?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 01:47 AM
88CarrerainRSM
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 930S Steering Wheel Part Number Info?

Hi Everyone,

After purchasing an '88 Carrera and enjoying it for a couple of months, I've decided I want/need a new steering wheel, as I am not too fond of the stock 4 spoke wheel. Some of the aftermarket wheels are nice but I want to stick with an OEM unit if possible.

I would like to install the 930S steering wheel that everyone raves about, but the OEM Porsche unit and not the AJ-USA/Pelican replica. From what I have gleaned from the 944/951 forum, the 930S wheel is supposedly identical to the 968 Club Sport wheel, except for the horn pad. The 930S wheel has the cloisoine (sp) crest while the 968 has the more subtle embossed crest in black. I prefer the 930S version for no other reason than that it is from the 911/930 family rather than from the water-cooled cars.

Here is where it gets tricky. I called a local dealer to order the 930S wheel and was given 2 part numbers for the 930S wheel. They are as follows:

000 043 161 00 8YR (fits up to -89)
000 044 400 10 8YR (fits up to -88)

This does not make sense to me. Why would one steering wheel fit 911/930's up to -89 and the other up to -88? It's the same darn car! What are the differences between the two? The dealer could not figure it out either and of course won't let me order both and return the one I don't need. There is also a significant price difference, the top wheel sells for $379.50 and the bottom one for $313.70!!!

BTW, the 968 CS wheel is 968 347 084 00 8YR so that part number is completely different, although according to Porsche PET it is listed in the same image number and description as the above part numbers so I know all 3 are very similar in appearance.

Anyone else out there do this mod in the past or any Porsche parts guys out there that could assist me in what the differences are??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ralph Hollack
Old 07-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps the 89 wheel takes into account the 964C4 and has an airbag?

I got mine from Pelican, and I dont even know what the part number is - I just know it feels and looks 10x better in the car.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:19 PM
88CarrerainRSM
AutoX

Mike,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, both of the steering wheels are non-airbag. The weird thing is one fits up to -89 models and the other up to -88 models. The C2/C4/993 models have a different non-airbag steering wheel available to them.

I have called 2 dealers & AJ-USA and no one can tell me what the proper wheel to use is. One of the dealer parts guys speculated that there may be a difference in the spoke thickness for 1989 models only, but either wheel would retrofit into an earlier 911. The Porsche PET is pretty vague with these two part numbers. It's pretty frustrating.

I know there are 911 owners out there who have bought the original 930S factory wheel and not the AJ-USA/Pelican reproduction. What part number did you buy???

The 924/944/951 owners all seem to buy the 968 CS wheel, there is only part number available for that so there is no confusion.

Come on guys, there must be someone out there who knows the answer!

Ralph
Old 07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. FWIW, I put a 930S wheel on my '87 daily driver. I purchased it at AJ USA when it was in for a full alignment, corner balancing and turbo tie rod ends. It's odd, but if I recall, the box had a Porsche part number on it. Huh. My car is at AJ's right now and I will be picking it up Thursday, so I am going to ask about it. Regardless, it looks and fits perfectly. I HIGHLY recommend the optional spacer, which lifts the wheel up and forward enough to bring the gauges into the same view as the OE wheel.

However, to answer your question, if you have an '88, why be concerned about an '89 part number?

Regards,
Bob
Old 07-30-2003, 03:49 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

hey there,
i don't have any answers for you, but i figure i would post to help keep this thread alive. i myself am interested in getting one of these style wheels, and have a theory to offer. i found one 930s style wheel where the crest is recessed flush into the pad, but is the colored badge and not merely embossed as on the 968. it looks might nice and i'm guessing it's what would be stock on the factory 930 cars: i don't know. it's for sale on a british site here:
http://www.essentialstyling.com/steering_wheels.htm
i was considering buying it but it would cost a fortune between exchange rates and shipping. no good. it had yet to occur to me to attempt to go through a porsche dealership. good thinking. anyway, my theory is that perhaps one these steering wheel models has a recessed badge, and one doesn't (?)...just a guess, although probably wrong. please let me know what you end up finding out and purchasing as i'm very interested (feel free to email me if you have the time). thanks for the great post and good luck,
josh kaufman
Old 07-31-2003, 01:00 AM
88CarrerainRSM
AutoX

Thanks Bob & Josh for the input. Bob, if you can get anything out of AJ-USA it would be appreciated. They've told me they don't know what wheel part number they're using for their reproduction, and I believe them but I was just speaking to a general salesman who probably doesn't even know there is more than one wheel in existence. It is also conceivable they just don't want to release the info, which is also understandable.

Josh, thanks for the link. This may be a wild goose chase, but it is worth it to me to at least explore it. That would be great if this turned out to be the difference, and would also help explain the price difference ($379.50 from Porsche for the ...161.00 8YR vs. $313.70 from Porsche for the ...400.10 8YR). I will shoot them an e-mail and see what happens. I certainly do like the RS Mk 2 wheel though, it is just what I am looking for. I think the recessed, embossed, colored crest would be ideal and look a tad nicer. Hopefully one of the two part numbers I am chasing will be that wheel. Like you, I can't get over the price (about $525-$550) they're asking when the shipping is factored in. Their RS Mk 1 wheel looks to be the same as the AJ/Pelican example, doesn't it? Interesting to note that they specify that both the Mk1 & Mk2 wheels are no longer available from Porsche, while the dealer guys both state that the part numbers I listed are still good numbers but special order only.

For those of you with C2/C4/993 models and wanting the 993 RS non-airbag wheel, the part number is 993 347 084 80 8YR. This wheel is also beautiful but I think looks out of place in the 74-89 interior.

One of the dealer parts guys is going to talk to someone at Porsche tomorrow to see if more info can be had about these two wheels. If this turns into a dead end, I guess I will give up and just order the 930S reproduction from AJ or Pelican like everyone else.

Have a good night, and if anyone else has some info it would be appreciated.

Ralph
Old 07-31-2003, 06:24 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Note: content deleted. Author promoting his own business and not stating his affiliation.

Last edited by Bill Gregory; 08-01-2003 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:36 PM
88CarrerainRSM
AutoX

Pervy,

Thanks for the input. I had a sinking feeling they weren't going to be the same, but it was worth a shot. Sent over an e-mail to essential styling in England but have not received a response as of yet. The RS Mk2 wheel is beautiful, but the exchange rate is still crappy. It's better than it was a few months ago. If it just gets a little better, it will be worth it to import. I don't think we have to pay VAT for export, do we?

Still waiting to hear back from one of the dealer parts guys who is supposed to speak with someone in the know from Porsche regarding the difference of the two factory sport wheels. We'll see what turns up. Paul from Stoddard Imported Cars in Ohio has been helpful, but stumped as well. I think he may have a burr up his @#$ like I do to try and figure the difference. He speculates that the part numbers are probably the same wheel, but one may have a different hub extender.

With the way this is heading, I think I will probably end up with the reproduction AJ/Pelican wheel. Not a bad thing, sure beats the stock 4-spoke.

Kind Regards,

Ralph
Old 08-01-2003, 03:26 AM
callipygian 911
Racer

greetings gentlemen,
well i checked out what they have to offer over at
http://www.type-911.co.uk/ac_carinteriors.htm
and it looks like the one that costs £220 is sans crest (if you click on the image), although they mention that the crest is added "free." are you certain that this is the one with the inlaid crest, pervy? that would be dandy, buy the image doesn't look too promising. anyway, if this doesn't work out ralph, i've got a crackpot scheme that just might be crazy enough to work. check this out: we could buy the 930S wheel with the authentic-ish stitching from pelican, and then tell essential styling that my dog ate both of our hornpads! see, here comes the rub: this is sure to work since they're british (read: excruciatingly polite). i bet they'd be delighted to sell us just the hornpads with the inlaid crests, and we'd probably save a bundle in the process. or maybe not. can't hurt to ask though, can it?
anyway, i'm not sure what this VAT business is, but hopefully it's cheap. in any event, i think you shouldn't give up just yet, ralph. i sense that you are getting dangerously close to the unravelling this mystery!
good luck,
josh
ps forgive my ignorance but what does rsm stand for? rancho santa something or other?
Old 08-02-2003, 04:33 PM
88CarrerainRSM
AutoX

Josh, your hair brained scheme cracks me up! I work in the automotive aftermarket as well (not with a Porsche company though) and have seen stuff like this try to slip through the cracks! BTW, VAT is "value added tax" but I don't think it is applicable if the product is shipped international.

I still haven't given up yet, I spoke with someone on Friday from PMNA in Atlanta and now they will try and find out from the fatherland. They said be patient and they'll get back to me as soon as they hear something.

I'm almost thinking holding off doing anything until after the German Autofest in Ventura next month, someone might have an original wheel on hand. We'll see what Porsche says first.

RSM is Rancho Santa Margarita, which borders Mission Viejo to the West and Coto de Caza to the East. A great little family-oriented community.

Ralph
Old 08-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny thing I noticed the other day when installing a 930S wheel in my 80 911SC. Even though I ordered the spacer, it fit in with perfect clearance in my car. Plenty of room. Then I tried in the 88 Carrera and no deal. Spacer required. I couldn't figure out why. Just yusterday I figured out why. Maybe. It seems the replacement early no-vent, no-speaker dash I have in the SC does not stick out far enough in the steering wheel area to cause clearance problems.

Quick Reply: 930S Steering Wheel Part Number Info?