Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Price guide for 79 911sc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:11 PM
96conv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AARRGGHHHHH! And I thought I got a great deal! Notes to self: 1) Prices in Excellence mag are bogus, 2) Don't ask questions to which you won't like the answers. I still love my targa though!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:20 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get upset! First, you seem to have gotten a car you love. Second, the $9000 car may have been a steal, even in today's market. Condition and mileage can have major impacts on price, up or down. Your car may well be in good enough condition to fully justify the price you paid. I've recently been offered WAY more for my '81 than you paid.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:23 PM
kenpac
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 96conv
I still love my targa though!
Hey that's all that matters, besides sounds like you have a nice car and from what I've seen a few grand here and there is nothing when you own a Porsche

Look at it this way I'll probably wind up buying a SC for around 9-10k and then throw a few thousand into it getting it the way I want - sounds like you're there already. Enjoy the car!!!

Ken
Central NJ
Old 07-31-2003, 01:31 AM
davs911
Intermediate

96-The sad truth is I really want a targa. My helmet hits my roof when I auto-x
Old 07-31-2003, 04:21 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

> The sad truth is I really want a targa. My helmet hits my roof when I auto-x

davs911:

Targas have a wobbly body, don't get one for racing. If you are too tall, consider taking your seat adjustment sliders (or whatever they are called) out and replace with low profile fixed brackets. That will do the trick and will keep everyone shorter than you from driving!

Racing seats also may offer a lower profile installed.

Hope this helps. Keep the coupe. It has much nicer lines too, no wind noise, no leaks!

George
Old 08-22-2003, 02:22 AM
sabenson
Track Day

Hmmm.....so Im guessing I got a good deal buying my boss's 80 911 SC coupe with 89 K for $5000?
Old 08-22-2003, 10:39 AM
jet911
Pro

sabenson -
Sounds like not only did you get a deal, you should probably go to jail for stealing - ha! ha! SWEET...........

If your boss has any others for sale, let me know :-)
Old 08-22-2003, 03:40 PM
sabenson
Track Day

Yeah I think I did ok. Whats even better, he had the Cararra timing chain upgrade done, a new clutch, alternator, and several misc repairs and upgrades totalling over 10K in the last 6K miles (or 5 years)

The downside however is that while the body is straight, the paint is in bad shape and its going to need a complete respray, the front seats are ripped and will need to be replaced or re-upolstered (Of course the interior is blue so used seats are impossible to find) And it will need a few things like new exhaust, tires, and some more updates likt valve covers (has a nasty little oil leak). Still if I have less than 10 into it when its all done and its only at 100K on the clock Ill be happy.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:21 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

That's a good price for a 911, no matter what shape and year. I have seen though that cosmetics turn people off and get prices down to bargain level. Happened on mine....

Be careful with the 'respray'. You want a quality paint job. If the body is arrow straight and needs only sanding (no body work), you should expect to pay about 3-5k for a professional (factory looking) job. Don't take any shortcuts with a discount job where things are masked off instead of pulled before painting etc.

Have fun with the car!

George
Old 08-22-2003, 05:38 PM
jet911
Pro

George,
$3 - $5K for a full respray appears to be a good deal. I live in SLC, UT, and was quoted $7K for a respray of my '86 Carrera. It may be worth it to deliver the car to a SF shop. Any good ones you know of? Any good ones in the SLC area that anyone may know of?
Old 08-22-2003, 06:46 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

No need to send anything to the bay area for respray. The local emissions laws are strict and labor rates are sky high. I did not get a quote for 3-5k but have gotten a quote of 7-9k for a resto job on an early 70s muscle car of mine. That would have included rust repair in 5 areas.

When getting a car painted you really need to do your homework. Look at completed work (more than one car and stuff that's several years old). And get a written contract what's to be done by when for how much. Most horror stories around restoration projects have to do with paint and body shops.

So far all my cars are basic enough that I can spray them myself, including the trunk lid on the 911. I was quoted a grand to repaint the lid and blend it by removing / redoing some of the clear coat. Yikes! I put that into the suspension first ...

Cheers, George

Quick Reply: Price guide for 79 911sc?