Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Questions and advise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 PM
SoCalRayRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions and advise.

As you may or may not know I'm a new first time Porsche owner. I'm not sure if I bought the right car for me. Typically I do light mods to my cars/trucks, like exhaust, chips and suspension however this car is so original that I'm afraid to do anything to it.

I will probably drive it on the street 95% of the time but might do some autocross events. Also I will put about 3-4000 miles a year on it.

I want to keep it as original as possible but would like to add a few mods that won't hurt the value.

1. suspension, would like something a little stiffer and I'm assuming it will lower the car a little and I'm fine with that.

2. exhaust, would like a little throatier sound and maybe little more HP.

3. chip, not sure of the real life advantages but it really makes a difference in more modern cars.

Would love to hear any and all advice.

Thanks in advance.

1989 911 Carrera 3.2 G50 all original except steering wheel.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy it for resale or to enjoy it. I would do light mods. Just me.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 PM
oscarfors
Rennlist Member

I'm in a very similar situation with my -87 Carrera with 138k miles on it.

Generally, I would say that light mods doesn't really effect the value of the car. The overall condition seem to be a stronger predictor of market value.

Consider what is really a mod or just maintenance/upkeep. I recently replaced all my suspension bushings with Elephant Racing rubber ones. They are OEM spec, so I wouldn't consider it a mod. I've also replaced the shocks to Sport Bilsteins. Mod or not? I installed Turbo Tie Rods. New Torsion bars. A strut bar brace/rod...

This weekend I'm installing a cat bypass, a M&K muffler and a Steve Wong chip. Saving the origninal parts for retrofit if I want to later.

My car is in great shape but I wouldn't consider it for a museum piece or over restoration. I just want to enjoy it and take it to the occational DE track day.

To summarize and answer your questions:
1. Suspension: Shocks, bushings (important) etc. This is likely more upkeep than mods. I don't think it will hurt the value of the car, may be marginally increase it if a potential buyer would know to appreciate it.

2. Exhaust. If a buyer likes the new sound i would guess it's a net zero game, but generally I would say it may lower the value since it may be seen to indicate you fiddling around with the car to much. I would do it and save the origninal parts.

3. Chip. Many threads on this site and Pelican about this... I would think it lowers value if anythinig, so save the original chip. I'm doing it, but I will likely not sell the car with the Steve Wong chip in it but sell it separately...

Have fun with the car and let us know what you do!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

mod it the way you want, but keep all the original parts... if your gonna sell, take the mods off or add extra $$ in the price since original parts are included. These cars are old... and the market has improved these cars in just about every aspect to electricals, suspension, brakes, tires and on and on....
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats:

IMO - none of the listed items are true mods.

As mentioned, if you do any significant mods, keep the original parts. In Cali, you may have a tough time doing an exhaust mod for performance, unless you are willing to swap the original back in for Smog Checks.

Upon receiving my car, I had it lowered, balanced & a strut brace put on. It looks and drives a whole lot better. Mine was already chipped. A quick search on the mods you listed should yield a lot of posts/opinions/vendors.

If you truly want to get in to the mod category for a wild ride, the best bang for your buck is a 996 Turbo. If you went down this path, your value concerns may be warranted.

If you are ever up in Tustin, you are welcome to take mine out for a spin.

BTW - anytime you want to swap steering wheels (because mine is original) you just let me know.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 PM
ArniO
Instructor

Bhmkv's question is a good one. If you bought it for resale, hold off or save the original parts. We'd all like to hear that you bought it for the joy of owning and driving it, tho.

Congrats on the buy. Nice.

Arni
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a G50 car as well. I'm not planning to ever part with her, so resale is not an issue for me. So far I have pulled the AC, just finished rebuilding the motor (incl. 964 cams, headers, and chip), and the next thing will be a suspension refresh/upgrade, then finally the addition of IROC bumpers, a duck tail and a repaint. The way I look at it is it's my car to enjoy, so I'm going to make it my own. If I do ever have to sell it, I hope it would go to another Rennlister or Pelicanite who would appreciate all I have done to it.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Mods that affect resale are generally permanent ones where you cut/weld/modify. Removing replaceable items is not really modifying the car as it can be returned to it's old state if you save and properly store the original parts.
I'd start with suspension items that may seem fine to you now but are probably worn out (spring plate bushings etc.)...and firmer suspension items won't lower a torsion bar car, you'll need to do that by re indexing the rears and adjusting the fronts if you have enough adjustment play.
Be careful with the 'firming up' as you can end up with a tooth rattling cart.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 AM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I totally understand the thoughts of Ray. I started the same way with a 87 coupe in pretty good original condition. Problem, at least for me, I started with a new chip in the DME and that alone put me on a steep slippery slope. Since then new cat, new seats, gutted interior to name a few, last weekend I pulled the rocker panels. I kept all the old parts but I really doubt I will ever re-install them, even in the hopefully unlikely case of needing to sell it. So this is just a warning, once you start with something, it might not stop there. However looking at your nice car, in my opinion, for sure get it lower...
Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 PM
SoCalRayRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by HorstP
for sure get it lower...

Done!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:54 AM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just sitting that way.......... it now looks like moving art.

If you wanted to protect the integrity & value of the car while doing a tasteful mod, mission accomplished. The $ink hole officially cracked open a bit more.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The car is looking great SoCalRayRay
Old 03-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Oscar - How is the new chip and M&K muffler? I am adjusting valves now on my '86 Targa in preparation for the M&K muffler and SW chip. I was hoping the M&K muffler was not too loud and would allow me to hear the engine better when driving.

--------------------------
Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks great!

A similar experience I can relay: I bought a pristine 993 a few years back. I swore that after all that I did to Ruby, I'd stay stock.

Well, I've stayed true for the most part-just did a clutch job and kept stock FW-many 993's have LWFW's, but there are noise and stalling potential issues-more so on the OBD1 '95. I put new Bilstein shocks, and ROW MO33 springs on a couple of years ago-more to the designed ride height.

I have slightly tweaked mufflers on her, but kept stock cans. I recently put a chip in from Rennsport Systems, but the stock one is safe and can be back in, in 30 minutes. I just put a nicely covered steering wheel on her, but am keeping the stock unit. Tomorrow, I put on MO30 ARB's, but I'll keep the stock bars.

So, one can mod, but keep it as Porsche as offered in various options. All of mine can be reversed, but the fun factor is ramped up a bit.

Ruby was another story.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Looking at this from the perspective of a very picky buyer I would generally not consider a car with any modifications that require drilling or chassis modifications. For example, if you add a roll cage and or make modifications that include changes that would be more difficult to reverse I would have a harder time justifying the purchase.

Quick Reply: Questions and advise.