Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cab or Targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Sam Minnitti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks....if anyone has made that modification in a 80's 911 cab, I would love to hear about it and see pics of the install.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:56 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

Cab all the way. The Targa was created to get around the then impossible DOT safety requirements to get a real convertible approved for sale in the USA. It was basically Porsche's thumb in the eye of the USA.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Cab all the way. The Targa was created to get around the then impossible DOT safety requirements to get a real convertible approved for sale in the USA. It was basically Porsche's thumb in the eye of the USA.
That is such a silly post. The Targa provides open air motoring, with a look and feel that many love. Personally, I'd never own a cab. I have owned a Targa and loved it.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I think cabriolets look much better than targas, even with the top up. I sold my targa after 6 months because I just didn't like it at all.
This post (for me) highlights how wonderfully divergent personal tastes can be, as my feelings are directly the opposite. I much prefer the Targa to Cab in terms of looks. I think both would offer real open air feel.

For the OP, I would suggest taking the time driving both, as well as a few coupes. It is likely that Cabs and Targas would have a greater propensity to having a few squeaks and creaks which may, or may not, be an issue. The coupe is certainly stiffer, but whether it matters in most driving conditions is questionable.

They are all great cars...
Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Think long and hard about what you want the porsche to do for you. If it is strictly a fairweather car than the cab is great. If you have an itching for a hotrod or a daily driver, the cab is not a good idea. My cab is a manual top. Power tops sound like a nightmare to me. ....but I don't know.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I looked at both and went with the Targa.

I did not want to deal with a rear plastic window and maintence of the top frame.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Minnitti
Looking to convert from a '87 944 owner to 87-89 911 owner when I find the right one.

Looking to go open air, just not sure if it will be Cab or Targa.

Would love to hear from owners of each (or both) for your comments, comparisons, etc.

This is a weekend/fun car, and have two young kids (5 and 8) that will take short trips around town on the weekends in nice weather.

Also, not sure of time/effort to put on/take off Targa top vs. Cab and would like to hear more about that.

Thank you!
This is like asking which is more beautiful Scarlet Johansen or Hayden Panettiere (and even the chose of those two as exemplars of beauty will be the subject of discourse as well)

I have one of each - the Targa is my favorite just becasue it looks so good, especially without a rear spolier - again subject of much debate, spolier or not.

Taking the Targa off is marginally faster than the cab in that without the boot on the cab roof looks unfinished and, if you are going to wind the car up it does flap about over 100.

Find the best car you can for the dollars you have available and go have top-down fun.

If you have a significant other that is going to ride shotgun and doesn't want to get too windblown the targa works well - windows up on a targa with the roof off is more acceptable than windows up on a cab with the top down!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Sam Minnitti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GothingNC
I looked at both and went with the Targa.

I did not want to deal with a rear plastic window and maintence of the top frame.
Beautiful Targa!, what color is that? Is it for sale...
Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That is such a silly post. The Targa provides open air motoring, with a look and feel that many love. Personally, I'd never own a cab. I have owned a Targa and loved it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targa_top
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That could have been written by a 15 year old.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well when you put it like that, Haden Panettiere totally.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Your post is still silly. I know why a Targa came about. Your comment implied that this configuration has no merit, and was only done to get around what they perceived to be future legislation.

Anyone can cite what they read on the internet, and have no personal experience to merit an opinion.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Your post is still silly. I know why a Targa came about. Your comment implied that this configuration has no merit, and was only done to get around what they perceived to be future legislation.

Anyone can cite what they read on the internet, and have no personal experience to merit an opinion.
I remember when the Targa and T-Top cars first came out. In fact, I had a Vette, Trans Am, 280Z, 328GTS and 911, all with one or the other; I enjoyed driving them all. At the time, us car guys feared that the USA would legislate all open cars out of existence. Thankfully that did not happen. And, I never said a Targa did not have merit, but they do not give you the drop-top driving experience like a true cabriolet does. That is why I would pick a cab over a targa.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 AM
Ni944S2
Intermediate

It truly is personal preference and the conditions you use the car in.

I've had coupes, cabs and targas!

Coupes are nice, but they don't seem to take full advantage of So. Cal., with our 350 or so days of nice, dry weather.

I had cabs, but just never warmed up to them. I don't really like the look, and they end up feeling too open to me. I also don't like the plastic rear window, and don't feel comfortable parking it unattended for long with the top down.

With the targa, I have no problem parking it with the top off and windows rolled up. I'll often throw the Carbrella top on it when it's parked. But I've gone literally years without putting the factory top on it! Yep, years straight of driving every single mile with the targa top off.

And to me, the Targa is an iconic look.

But, I can totally understand how someone else might prefer a cab (or coupe)!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 PM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had all of them. I had a 80' Targa, 84' Coupe, 85' Cab and finally my current 89 Cab. For pure driving, I liked the coupe the best. But for open top Hwy 1 and sightseeing purpose, I would much prefer the cab. I personally think the top down look of the cab is better than the Targa. But Targa does look unique.
Steve

Quick Reply: Cab or Targa