Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1974 911 2.7L with 2100rpm idle? What's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a '74. So, I can say with certainty that it can be many things.
First of all - is it stock? Does it still have the original fuel injection system on it (CIS)?
If so, there are many thing that can go wrong with them, especially in cold climates.
The very first things to do are: replace the fuel filter, but before you do that you have to get all of the old gas out of the tank. That can be hard - you'll need help.
Then, put in fresh gas - premium - without ethanol if you can (it's called "clear gas" - look here - http://pure-gas.org ) If you can't find it use Stabil with fresh premium.
After all that if it still doesn't run correctly you'll need to find a mechanic that knows how to work with "Bosch K-tronic" fuel injection systems. They're very fussy and have a few parts that really need to work correctly for the car to run properly. If you really want to know about what you're up against you can read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic , but I can say from experience that old Porsche cars need to run at least twice a month with fresh gas to not go all funky on you.
My advice is to find a good Porsche mechanic and have them look at it. Sorry to say it's not going to be cheap.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I put in fresh gas about 3 weeks ago prior to this happening; premium of course, 93 octane, nothing but the best for this car! Stabil was added as well, as we add it whenever the car is put away for the winter. I know just the guys I want to send this to; however we have no way of getting the car there without actually driving it and it's still running it's Goodyear summer tires so it's still out of the question to drive it until at least April.

And after last years cylinder incident where only 5 cylinders were actually working, I think I have an Idea of how expensive this could be sadly. Just gotta tell my dad about what I've discovered and see what the options are.

Quick Reply: 1974 911 2.7L with 2100rpm idle? What's wrong?