Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC Steering Lock won't disengage -Fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:47 AM
rt61
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911SC Steering Lock won't disengage -Fixes?

I've had intermittent problems with the steering lock not disengaging on my '82 911SC. The key won't turn (I've tried wiggling the key alot; putting graphite into the keyhole; flipping the key around and trying different keys). Previously, it had released by slamming the wheel left or right. No luck this time.

Any other suggestions? Will replacing the ignition switch assembly solve the problem or might there be something to do with where the lock assembly interfaces with the wheel?

Because the part is expensive (cheapest for a new one is $495 - with keys), I am considering going to the Swap Meet at Phoenix Club in Orange this weekend to try to find one - (p/n 964.347.917.01), but I'm a bit concerned with inheriting a new problem.

I've already removed the shear bolts when I had previously replaced the electrical relay on the switch.

Are there any tricks to getting the switch assembly out? I don't think I was able to get it out when I replaced the relay.

I've attached a sample picture of assembly.

Your suggestions are appreciated....
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to get way up under the dash to remove the 10mm nut/ allen bolt.

It's easier if you remove the driver's seat. I'd take the ignition switch out and see if the key turns.

Quick Reply: 911SC Steering Lock won't disengage -Fixes?