Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air cooled fever - looking at 84-86 Carreras

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:30 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've driven my '84 Carrara as a daily driver for over 20 years. They are great cars and highly reliable.

I can't advise you on any specific car as you have to do that yourself... PPI as noted.

But, if you buy a new Honda for $30K and drive it for 3 years and sell it for $12K, or buy a 3.2 Carrara for $25K, drive it for 3 years and it's still worth $25K, well, how bad a decision was that?

If it's just a second car that you want to drive on weekends, how hurt can you get?

You can get collector car insurance on the car for maybe $250/yr....
Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NCDCSam
G'day Conza - I am interested in this particular car because it seems to have been well cared for and updated a bit as it has aged; it has been used as a car instead of as a monument; it is for sale by someone who has a good reputation among PCA and Pelican Parts folks. Its price is a little high, but I'll see what the PPI shows.

I started out thinking I would hold out for a 3.2 G50 or 964 coupe. Those models seem to be hard to find on the east coast and prices have shot up. There are post-86 Targas and Cabrios available, in many cases quite a bit more expensive than this 86, but I prefer a coupe.

I have read, lurked and learned on this site about some of the subtle and not so subtle differences as these cars have evolved - nothing subtle about making sure you shift correctly. The simpler car is really appealing right now. I have a 92 E30 Cabrio with relatively low miles that makes my wife and I laugh when we drive it on nice days (like this past Saturday - at last).

If an 87-89 popped up right now, I'd investigate.

I have spoken with the seller. I'm am scheduling a PPI this morning and will see where this goes.

Thanks to all so far,
Sam
IMHO, while the G-50 is a nice trans, a well sorted 915 is just fine.

But, these cars are now becoming "collectible", and dealers are trying to use the G-50 to pump up values.

It's a shame... the real value in these cars is driving them... but that cow is already leaving the barn.

In 5 years, nobody will ever drive these cars anymore, as ODO readings will become the determinate of value.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, thanks for the comments from everyone. They are all appreciated. For a guy who has seldom (as in never) participated in online forums, I approached sending off the first post with some trepidation.

Last things first - I love to hear about these cars being used as daily drivers. I bought a slightly used Cayman and put about 21000 miles on it in 18-19 months. The Cayman was solid and reliable and fun, but the air cooled itch has been there since my dad used my college money to buy a 911T. I had dropped out of college, joined the Navy, was coming back with the GI Bill, so he bought the T. I am so glad he did, because he worked hard, had a tough life (widowed at 22 with two young kids in the 1950s), had a successful consulting engineering business, then diagnosed/dead of leukemia at 67.

As with many dads, he was right about a lot of stuff. I used the GI Bill, got my degree in three years, and have done okay, thanks in huge part to him.

So the air cooled itch has been there awhile. My wife (she will drive any car we buy, too) and I tend to hold onto most cars for a long time, Cayman excepted.

Thank you all again for advice. PPI should happen tomorrow or Wednesday morning.

Sam
Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sam, first of all I'd suggest adding the G50 Carreras to your search since I seem to see them for sale on a somewhat regular basis. I'm on my 2nd (1st was 87 cab) and they have been, off and on, my daily driver. To be honest, I like it MUCH better when they are NOT my daily driver which is what my '88 Coupe is now. Of course my wife has a nice MDX which we use a lot so its not that big of a deal. I recently had an Audi A4 for three years and the lease expired and a friend asked me to buy it so he could buy it from me (the buy out price was 4k below what they were selling for). I really regret not keeping it and have been looking for something to lease ever since...just can't make up my mind. There are LOTS of guys using these cars as their only car but after 20 years of doing both I MUCH prefer the 911 as a weekend/fun car. The other major reason is these cars need work...not big stuff all the time, but lots of little things and if its your only car you either pay (a lot) to have it done at a shop, or you have some very busy weekends trying to get something fixed before Monday rolls around.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:25 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Thanks 88911 coupe.

I'd love to find a G50 coupe, but the current 86 being PPI'ed today looked well cared for.

I will not be using it daily. I have converted to a 2013 Jetta TDI Sportwagen /MT and a 2014 Golf MT TDI.

I'm eager to see how the car looks to more experienced eyes .

But a G50 coupe would still be of interest.

Sam
Old 02-27-2014, 01:29 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

If she checks out and given the mods / respray, I think it's still a little too high, but not worth passing up. I am also sure you can work a deal on the price. Although 110k on the clock for these cars isn't really high, for that asking price, I would expect it to be sub 100k.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I offered sam an 87 g50 coupe, black on black in similar condition with 110,000 miles for a few dollars less, so there is a back-up plan. Still, I expect dan's car with checkout fine.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

yup... Dan's car should be good. He's got a good rap in NJ.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Hi everyone,

Really appreciate the comments. This is a nice change from some other forums.

PPI close to done. They didn't get to leak down/compression. I'll update tomorrow.

Sam
Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Sadly, I must report that my search for an air cooled late 80s Carrera or 964 continues.

Dan Petchel has been a good guy to work with. He has been honest and upfront in our email and telephone conversations. He is very available by phone and quick to reply to emails. I would be happy to buy a car from Dan, but it won't be this one. If you are interested in the car, please call Dan.

Provost Motorsports did the PPI. Rob and Max were very professional. When I called, Rob immediately made it clear that his business and Dan's have their physical business locations in the same building. Rob didn't want to do a PPI and then have me upset about the relationship he has with Dan. Rob and Max reviewed the PPI results and photos with me and answered my questions. Highly recommended.

Bottom line is this is a good car for someone, but it has some things that will need to be addressed. It is the wrong car for me right now.

Still looking with a budget up to $30K max.

Thanks for your interest and help. As a NOOB, i really didn't expect such support. I guess I will take the backup fun car (92 E30 Cabrio, 70,000 miles, bone stock except for chip) for a ride tomorrow if it thaws out in NC.

Sam
Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 308 Posts

OPO has an 86 targa in fantastic shape for sale- awesome car
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Isn't Pete Zimmerman selling an 86 guards red?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Isn't Pete Zimmerman selling an 86 guards red?
Dr Pete's is an SC.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

I would consider a great SC. Beginning to consider west coast, shipping, etc. or a fly and drive if the car is drive across USA ready.

Sam
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NCDCSam
I would consider a great SC. Beginning to consider west coast, shipping, etc. or a fly and drive if the car is drive across USA ready.

Sam
I would look no further. Pete's car is top notch.....as is Pete.

Quick Reply: Air cooled fever - looking at 84-86 Carreras