Air cooled fever - looking at 84-86 Carreras

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cooled fever - looking at 84-86 Carreras

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Recently sold an 08 Cayman and want to buy an air cooled 911.

Me - ham fisted mechanic willing to perform simple maintenance have worked on BMWs and did routine stuff - brakes, oil changes, filter changes on BMWs and the Cayman.

Looking for a car that I can keep for a long time, do basic work on, and drive. Not interested in a garage queen. Mechanicals are highest priority. Prefer coupe. Color not too important - when I see something I don't like, I guess I'll know it.

Had a nice conversation with Dan Petchel in NJ.

He has a car that he took in on trade that I am very interested in - 1986 Carrera that has been well maintained, modified a bit, Dan seems to have a very positive reputation on another forum. 110,000 miles, glass out respray, 930 brakes, SSI heat exchangers, new tires, etc. Asking $28.6K.

After looking around, and considering the car's condition, the price seems in the ballpark to me - maybe a little high.

Any advice for a NOOB?

Any suggestions for PPI shop in Bordentown, NJ area? Dan said the car is excellent and I want to believe him, but the board's PPI refrain has me hesitant to skip the PPI.

Thanks in advance for any answers and thanks for what I have already learned reading your posts.

Sam
Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 AM
bv911
AutoX

Hi there, just joined Rennlist to reply, long-time PCA member (20+ years), known Dan even longer. Recently acquired an '87 Carrera from him. Think he's a great guy. Used to help him tear apart 914's and early 911's when I was in high school; was friends with his sons, but when I saw what he was doing in his garage, well, that's where I wanted to be...

Anyway, for PPI, try Provost Motorsports. They're active with our club (Schattenbaum region).

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 AM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Thanks, bv911. I appreciate your reply.

I'll contact Provost Motorsports after I speak with Dan again.

Sam
Old 02-23-2014, 03:41 PM
oprevot
Advanced

Hi Sam. I own a 1986 Carrera coupe, great car. If you are looking for a bulletproof 911 to enjoy for years to come, it is a great choice. Obviously, I haven't seen the car you are talking about but $28.5K sounds a little bit high, even in this market. I think $22K to $25K might be more appropriate. Just my humble opinion.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

[QUOTE="oprevot;11159281"]Hi Sam. I own a 1986 Carrera coupe, great car. If you are looking for a bulletproof 911 to enjoy for years to come, it is a great choice. Obviously, I haven't seen the car you are talking about but $28.5K sounds a little bit high, even in this market. I think $22K to $25K might be more appropriate. Just my humble opinion.[/QUOTE

Oprevot,

Thank you for the data point. Dan's car looks great, but in my current condition, every air cooled car looks great. Except Corvairs. I had a 64 convertible with 4 spd. Never went anywhere without extra fan belts.

Thanks again.

Sam
Old 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd say the value is dependent on the overall car, quality of respray and PPI results.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah me too, $28.6k seems high but if it's a well-sorted car and everything checks out then maybe that $28.6k is a good deal for a car that needs nothing but a driver.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

honestly guys.... if that extra 3K shows on the car, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Sometimes that extra money is alot cheaper than trying to do things yourself.... especially if the mods is something you want to do anyway.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

Ed and Hunt3r,

Thanks for that perspective. That is what I am thinking - well sorted out = a little more up front.

I have seen several ridden hard, put up wet cars that are doing a fine job of entertaining their owners, but I was hoping for the money, te cars would be in a little better shape.

If Hunt3r would let a few more of these cars escape Cali, maybe we SE USA guys would have more of a choice.

Thank you both.

Sam
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 AM
Conza
Intermediate

Hi Sam,

Not an expert, but since I've been reading up on oil-cooled 911s recently myself, just thought I'd add that the 911 Carrera 3.2 was produced without change from 1984 - 1989 (afaik), if you were already aware of that already, I'd be curious to know why you have stopped at '86?

Btw as an Australian your prices seem amazing, the cheapest of cheap 911s here, start, at 20kAUD, 3.2's are starting at around 30kAUD, but good ones are as high as 75kAUD.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NCDCSam
Dan said the car is excellent and I want to believe him, but the board's PPI refrain has me hesitant to skip the PPI.
Sam, you should get the PPI no matter how honest the seller is. The PPI might catch something that he doesn't know about.

I recently had an '86 Targa for sale that was mechanically perfect, and a buyer was ready to write the check as soon as the PPI was completed. Unfortunately, we found out that although the car exhibited no signs of any problems, compression was low across all cylinders due to suspected broken compression rings. As a result, the buyer balked and I ended up selling the car to a dealer in Germany for 6k less.

As for this car you're considering, don't be concerned about the asking price being high. They usually are. I'd bet he'll part with it for less.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Conza
Hi Sam,

Not an expert, but since I've been reading up on oil-cooled 911s recently myself, just thought I'd add that the 911 Carrera 3.2 was produced without change from 1984 - 1989 (afaik), if you were already aware of that already, I'd be curious to know why you have stopped at '86?

Btw as an Australian your prices seem amazing, the cheapest of cheap 911s here, start, at 20kAUD, 3.2's are starting at around 30kAUD, but good ones are as high as 75kAUD.
There were changes, albeit many of them subtle. But, probably the largest change, was to hydraulic clutch and G50 transmission in '87. But, my opinion has always been, if you want a 3.2: look at all of the choices.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM
NCDCSam
Intermediate

G'day Conza - I am interested in this particular car because it seems to have been well cared for and updated a bit as it has aged; it has been used as a car instead of as a monument; it is for sale by someone who has a good reputation among PCA and Pelican Parts folks. Its price is a little high, but I'll see what the PPI shows.

I started out thinking I would hold out for a 3.2 G50 or 964 coupe. Those models seem to be hard to find on the east coast and prices have shot up. There are post-86 Targas and Cabrios available, in many cases quite a bit more expensive than this 86, but I prefer a coupe.

I have read, lurked and learned on this site about some of the subtle and not so subtle differences as these cars have evolved - nothing subtle about making sure you shift correctly. The simpler car is really appealing right now. I have a 92 E30 Cabrio with relatively low miles that makes my wife and I laugh when we drive it on nice days (like this past Saturday - at last).

If an 87-89 popped up right now, I'd investigate.

I have spoken with the seller. I'm am scheduling a PPI this morning and will see where this goes.

Thanks to all so far,
Sam
Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

As these are approaching 30 years old, there is much other than price and miles to consider as you're definitely finding out. Whoever said it could be worth the extra 3 grand for a 'good, sorted car' is definitely correct.

I've just dropped a bunch of money 'recommissioning' a very nice, very clean lowish mile (64k) 86 Carrera, and it's fun to see how well most things were maintained, unbent, uncobbled as opposed to the 'surprises' we've all seen on other cars less maintained or coddled.

So look with your eyes and head for THE car; your heart has already made the decision. Best wishes,
Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Sam, you should get the PPI no matter how honest the seller is. The PPI might catch something that he doesn't know about.
Pechtel is very highly regarded here and is a straight shooter but don't forget he is business man trying to sell a car.

He can also be a cranky old bastard if he catches you speeding in the paddock

Quick Reply: Air cooled fever - looking at 84-86 Carreras