911SC SEEKING ADVICE for engine performance or 3.6 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Here is a comparison of 2 friends engines in the same chassis w/ the same trans tires etc.
one is a built 3.0SC w/ a really nice set of headers(blue), the other a stock 993 3.6(red)

Which do you think will be more fun, I can compare the 3.0 w a shorter geared 915 too, it still won't be as much fun as the 3.6

If anything the 3.6/915 is short geared
Your analysis shows that a 3.6 will generate more HP and Torque than a 3.0. It is inarguably precise, accurate and totally on the money.

It does not show that the poster has no idea of what he wants to do.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Crossworth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thank you JCP911S

Your point is well taken, although for the record I do know any mods are the beginning of the slippery slope return of no returns.

My primary goal is not resale, but rather to enjoy the car. Yes I think it could some power, but perhaps I should consider the 993 down the road.

For now I have to figure out if the CIS is leaking...I have seen some talk about it.

No, I have not won the lottery...how I wished...just a regular joe.
If I won the lottery I would get me a Ferrari F40 and 997GT3 in PearlWhite, and build a five bedroom house, with a 20 car garage.
I know dream on ....

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Just a different take here.

Certainly the 3.6 conversion on an SC is a well trodden road, so it's all been worked out, and works fine.

But before you jump in, understand the financial commitment you are making... once you start, you are committed to the end... don't swim halfway across the ocean, then give up and try to swim back...

If your SC is in good condition with a solid maintenance history and no problems it is probably worth about $20K retail in today's market.

(now, if it has a blown motor, that's a totally different scenario..)

Based on the input above, count on spending at least $15K on the conversion, and if you don't do most of the work, it will be more... so be realistic about your level of mechanical skill... this is not a project for the amateur, and labor-rate at a good shop will be $100+/hour.

As a data point... a friend of mine just bought an SC that had a 3.6 conversion done. The car had a known provenance, the work was professionally done by a reputable P-Car shop, and no corners were cut... bill for the conversion was reportedly north of $20K. The car is in beautiful condition.

He paid $15K for it. This guy is extremely shrewd and knowledgeable, so this means it's probably worth maybe $18-20K retail.

Math says that you will have $35-40K invested in a car that is worth maybe $20K on a good day.

Not my opinion, not my numbers... that's the market talking.

As an option... assume you sell your SC for $20K...

For $25K you could buy a nice g-50 3.2 Carrara or a 964.

For the $35-40K that you would have in the conversion, you could buy a nice 993.

All three of these cars are wonderful cars run reliably and will always be worth every dime you paid if you ever have to sell... and may even appreciate over time.

Over the last 25 years, I know many many people (including myself) who have poured tens of thousands of dollars into Porsche hot-rods, track-cars, projects etc, and end up taking a major haircut when they have to sell.

As was said, it's your car and your money. If your end-game is a 3.6 SC, and you don't have to ever sell it, go for it.

Just go into it with your eyes wide-opened.

Just like any business plan, set clear objectives, set a budget, be realistic about your resources and risk tolerance, have a contingency plan, and have a clear exit strategy.

And have fun.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 PM
AG Nashville
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing R.O.W. pistons and cylinders on my 3.2. Effectively raising compression to 10.3 from 9.5 i believe. The cost of doing that isn't far from getting a 3.6. Problem with that for me is one, the motors are more valuable upfront and certainly more expensive to rebuild should it need parts replaced outside of bearings and such. For that money I would do ROW parts, 964 cams, and the super bithin' PMO fuel system. I figure that would produce around 260-270hp?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Lighten it up and you don't need to buy any fancy fasteners.
My '83 SC now weighs 2430 with 20 gallons of gas (the old Hotrod mantra was 100 lbs. equals 10 HP). I did swap the US spec 3.0 for a Euro 3.0 and that adds 24 HP.
Get some SSI's and better muffler.
With that combo no issue burning up some 3.2's.

Quick Reply: 911SC SEEKING ADVICE for engine performance or 3.6 engine swap