Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing new hood emblem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 01:59 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing new hood emblem

Spent some of my Porsche Certificate $'s on a new hood emblem for my 81 SC. The old one, fastened with speed nuts, had a couple of 'ridges' on the pins, which enabled it to be tightened down using an 8mm socket. The new hood emblem (it's genuine OEM - has the P #'s)just has straight pins, which the speed nuts slide on to. I'm concerned that I may not be able to tighten the speed nuts enough w/o the threads. Is this a cause for concern, and if so, can anyone suggest the best way to affix the speeds nuts to get the tightest grip? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:12 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine came with smooth pins, but with a putty-like material on the insides of the nuts. The danger with the new ones is overtightening the speed nuts -- the pins pop right off the backside of the badge. I wonder if some kind of flexible adhesive, like the 3M stuff you use for the door seal, might be good around the nuts.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:26 PM
frankd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a highly technical install and should not left to weekend type mechanics. I suggest you take your car and badge to an authorized Porsche shop. Incorrectly installed these emblems may not pass tech for DE.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:26 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank,

I'd heard of some of the horror stories re: incorrectly installed hood emblems - upside down,creating much more drag; coming loose during DE and decapitating the driver; and working loose, and acting as an airfoil and subsequently lifting the front end of the car, resulting in loss of steering. I think I'll take your advice. After all, at $80 an hour, it shouldn't be more than a 3 or 4 hour job. See you at the Glen? *G*

Quick Reply: Installing new hood emblem