Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie about to purchase first 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:25 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And after this purchase process is done I have se more to add to to Sloan legend.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding color limitations will make the job a tad more difficult. Buy the best car you can afford unless the color is a complete disaster, which is unlikely in the older cars.

cab/coupe/targa - endless argument. I have owned all three and must say that the targa is, for me, hands down the best - thus the endless argument.
915/G50/tiptronic - same conversation - if wifey has to drive it and you want to cruise on a nice evening with the top down - tip 993 is a fine compromise.
If you want to do canyon carving with your local coffee run group then maybe not so much..
Don't get hung up on miles - these cars need to be driven so a 30 year old car with 25000 miles will need as much tlc as one with 100 000 - stuff gets old/dry/breaks whether you use it or not. Don't forget, a 30 year old car with 100 000 miles is only 3000/year! We tend to take way too much time babying these fine automobiles and not enough time using them.
I was out in the snow the other day talking to an owner of a 88 coupe - snow tires on - has been his daily driver for 26 years - the car was filthy, but he was driving it and having fun.

Whatever you buy will need on-going regular maintanence and the ability to fix things as they need but these cars are tough - how many 30 year old Ferraris are out in the snow, let alone showing up in droves at club meets and coffee runs.

Enjoy the chase and, if you find a good car at a reputable source, move on it. If you give the seller a deposit then you should have time to get the PPI done but you have to show willing - good unmolested cars are getting harder to find. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
r_32
Instructor

Thanks for the sage advice ihd. I was shocked at the color comment from my better (albeit more picky) half.
We've been trying a few different avenues, but have yet to find that one, or that one which seems to be on the up and up. These threads/chats turn up something negative on everyone!
We have come to realize though, that our means to start adding fun cars has coincided with what looks to be a market with a lack of good cars for sale and a surge in prices.
Being the first time buying an older car it has been frustrating to have made the decision to purchase, gotten comfortable with the spend, and not being able to get it finalized. I guess people like the hunt aspect, but the hunt at this point makes me on edge and I want to drive despite the winter! I guess patience on this process is going to have to be learned....
Old 02-20-2014, 03:38 PM
lhd7
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here's a question - how much do you have to pay for a car?
Yes I know - we don't ask such quesitons but at the end of the day it all comes down to dollars.
If it is any help at all - I just bought a 84 2 owner targa with 90k miles and a glass-out 3 year old re-spray, sight unseen from AIC for $28000. My buddy got an 83 SC 3 months ago for $23k with 100k and a full service history - one owner car from new -
So - the cars are there - the more you have to spend the easier the task becomes, as with most things!
If you are trying to get a really good car for $15k then you are probably in for a long wait!
If you have flexin the budget then at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if you pay 24, 25, 28 to get the car you want. I knew at the time I bought my targa there were cheaper cars but they were red/black/silver all of which were not my favs so I paid a "premium" to get a really pretty car that had been well loved.
The SC i mentioned above is red - the last color my buddy or his wife "wanted" but the car is a gem so the color became less relevant - to find a 30 year old car with one owner and 30 years of records - to heck with the color!
Good luck with the search!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

I have owned 2 porsches including the 96 993 I currently have- They are all awesome. About the only one I would NOT buy is a 1999-2002 as there were a lot of issues with engine failures / poor cooling and IMS stuff. The 85 Targa I had was terrific. I had it 8 years, put 20K on it, and replaced the rear shocks, and had a lifter adjustment and a DME relay failure- that's it. Car ran superbly well. If I were buying that vintage again, I'd get an 87-89 Targa ( love the TARGA!!) with the G50 trannie! It's way smoother than the earlier models like my 85- while it shifted fine, it's a little clunky.
The 993 is a totally different animal- more refined, power steering which makes a big difference and the trans shifts incredibly well, plus it's got more power and it's quieter.

I was told "buy the newest Porsche you can afford" but I don't subscribe to that. I am an air-cooled guy and the 993's cost as much as a 2006 C4S right now, so have fun and know there aren't any mistakes here- just more information! Also- the color thing- weird colors are more valuable and make the experience more fun! And mileage- I have 94 K on my 993- it's been VERY well cared for and looks brand new inside and out- miles are a good thing- they say the car's been driven, and if it's in great shape, you're buying from an owner that CARES about the car. low mileage is great, but there are a lot of issues with 20-30 year old cars with no miles on them. you'll be replacing stuff that you never thought about. have fun.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I still say the 915/G50 thing is way overblown. A sorted 915 is a fine box. A lot of women have driven them over the years, as there were 10's of thousands built. Seems like something must've been right with them. When looking for a good 80's Carrera, to forego 84-86 options is folly, IMO.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 AM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninetynine996
You can find some great cars for sale here (membership required to access sales but @ $17per year...it's well worth it)...also Pelican has great enthusiast cars for sale. IMO stay away from Holt or Sloan....both have great cars but they overprice them....and sell cars to people with lots of disposable income. be very careful with EBay and Craigslist....some great cars there but a lot of bull**** too. eBay is especially a difficult way to buy a great Pcar because there are a lot of shills out there that are inflating the prices of our cars....bidding up prices for the owners but never quite high enough to win....hope I helped a bit....join Rennlist....lots of info here for $17
Are there 2 different for sale sections here? What's the difference?

I can access a for sale section, and I never paid $17.
https://rennlist.com/forums/marketplace/cars/search/
Old 03-01-2014, 05:25 PM
SoCalRayRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by r_32
So was working on setting up a ppi for the car in Encinitas. Wife stops the deal and says red is way too flash of a color. Color. Not is this car sound and all that is made out to be, but the color. Ugh...
If you are refering to the red 89' 911 Carrera at Cardiff Classics, I bought that one on 2/20/14. They were easy to work with and the salesman Brent was a good guy to deal with. I will say they held fairly firm on the price, which I think was high retail but the car is a really nice one.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck
Are there 2 different for sale sections here? What's the difference?

I can access a for sale section, and I never paid $17.
https://rennlist.com/forums/marketplace/cars/search/
Yes, there are two sections. The good one is only accessed by members.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:13 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

seriously dude, just cough up the 17bucks... if you are going to be a Porsche owner, this is the place to be.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Actually, the break we had was pretty nice.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 PM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

What is the logic for not posting in a public forum, and only a hidden members-only forum?
Filters down to only the most serious buyers? That actually makes a lot of sense.
I'm only shopping locally, b/c I need to test drive, so this option doesn't make sense for me.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

It's to keep it from turning into a swap meet. Seriously, if I were looking for a car, if fork out the lousy cost of membership. Then again, there are a lot of people saying one thing and doing another.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
r_32
Instructor

That one at Cardiff was the one I was looking at. Glad you were able to get it and it worked for you. You're welcome.

The search has continued, but I have taken much of the advice I have read here.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM
r_32
Instructor

Originally Posted by lhd7
So here's a question - how much do you have to pay for a car? Yes I know - we don't ask such quesitons but at the end of the day it all comes down to dollars. If it is any help at all - I just bought a 84 2 owner targa with 90k miles and a glass-out 3 year old re-spray, sight unseen from AIC for $28000. My buddy got an 83 SC 3 months ago for $23k with 100k and a full service history - one owner car from new - So - the cars are there - the more you have to spend the easier the task becomes, as with most things! If you are trying to get a really good car for $15k then you are probably in for a long wait! If you have flexin the budget then at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if you pay 24, 25, 28 to get the car you want. I knew at the time I bought my targa there were cheaper cars but they were red/black/silver all of which were not my favs so I paid a "premium" to get a really pretty car that had been well loved. The SC i mentioned above is red - the last color my buddy or his wife "wanted" but the car is a gem so the color became less relevant - to find a 30 year old car with one owner and 30 years of records - to heck with the color! Good luck with the search!
I don't have unlimited funds, but I am not squeezed for each thousand I want to spend. But it really is coming down to finding the right car for us. I have been speaking w some local guys and luckily, I am starting to get some decent contacts at some places and have started to hear about cars coming up before hey are listed. My patience is increasing which should only help me get the right car.
And I agree to heck w the color. But the wife isn't hassling me on the purchase, now that the cost has gone from 20ish up to 40 if the right car, so I am not going to push my luck!

Quick Reply: Newbie about to purchase first 911