Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Newbie about to purchase first 911 (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/800346-newbie-about-to-purchase-first-911-a.html)

r_32 02-14-2014 10:33 PM

Newbie about to purchase first 911

After years of wanting to purchase my first Porsche I thought I could satisfy "the itch" and buy a new Cayenne for the family. That lasted about 4 mo and now I am looking at making first 911 purchase. (What I should have done at first.)

Settled on either a 3.2 g50 or a 964 (guess I remember the posters from my younger days!) Looking at a few at Holt but may have found one that looks interesting in Encinitas.

We want to get a good solid car and drive it. No interest in having garage queens. But we don't want a hassle/fear of major car problems and major repairs of a high milage auto or buying a frankencar or something not authentic.

Any good recommendations for a PPI in the Encinitas area, thoughts on my search, general words of caution or wisdom?
Please help me make this experience what I have been waiting for!

KurtF 02-14-2014 11:27 PM

The 3.2 G50 was one of the most reliable 911's made. It was the final evolution of the original 911 before they changed and modernized the 964. I own one and love it.

Ninetynine996 02-14-2014 11:32 PM

You can find some great cars for sale here (membership required to access sales but @ $17per year...it's well worth it)...also Pelican has great enthusiast cars for sale. IMO stay away from Holt or Sloan....both have great cars but they overprice them....and sell cars to people with lots of disposable income. be very careful with EBay and Craigslist....some great cars there but a lot of bull**** too. eBay is especially a difficult way to buy a great Pcar because there are a lot of shills out there that are inflating the prices of our cars....bidding up prices for the owners but never quite high enough to win....hope I helped a bit....join Rennlist....lots of info here for $17

r_32 02-14-2014 11:54 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I definitely don't have the confidence to look at something on eBay and pull the trigger. That's why I have gravitated towards a reputable shop - maybe spend more upfront and avoid pain later.

I will definitely keep an eye out for cars on this forum. That's good insight.

also picked up the Used 911 Story like I hear you must. Want to get a PPI of course but each time I see something that looks quality not on one of these sites it disappears in about 20hrs! How are people checking these out that quickly? I literally called on one on pca 2hrs after posted and it was sold. It's like you have to choose between the PPI and getting a good car before the expert. Frustrating.

MUSSBERGER 02-15-2014 09:13 AM

Not a big fan of the 964's but the later cars are better. A 1995 993 would be on my short list as well for a first air cooled Porsche. One of the most knowledgable persons on ths site is not far from Encinitas. Perhaps he will chime in.

r_32 02-15-2014 10:17 AM

There 964 is a 93 I have been looking at, which I understand solved a bunch of the earlier problems? Is that right, or should I still be concerned about the mid years?

I'd love to hear from the person from Encinitas because I haven't heard much on this dealer. Cardiff Classics. Maybe he had even seen the car as it looks to stand out. Bright guards red with whale tail (would like for it to have not had that, but they aren't my build specs!)

tone40 02-15-2014 01:58 PM

PM sent.

KurtF 02-15-2014 03:56 PM

I would agree that the 993 (1995-1998) would be a better choice for a first Porsche. It is a better resolved car in almost every way than the 964, having more power and a reputation for reliability. The 3.2 g50 also a great car is a very different animal. Driving one will give you the sense of a older car. More basic, classic 911 which is more of an acquired taste. Hope this helps. good luck.

redridge 02-15-2014 08:25 PM

every model 911's are very diff driving experience. I agree starting with a 993... and if you feel you want something more driving engagement, work your way back to the 964 and 3.2 g50 or even the 3.2 915... gl with your search.

r_32 02-15-2014 08:29 PM

Thanks Kurt. Been talking to someone else about another 3.2. I think the 993 and the 964 may be more modern, but I keep leaning to those classic 3.2 lines. Haven't driven an old school manual (less driver aids) in forever and as just thinking about the cruising side, can't decide if I need/want them or not.

Anyone have an opinion on the quality of cars at the rpm's/holt's/sloan's of the world? Other than the higher cost of course. Basically is the quality there to justify the prices?

Reiver 02-15-2014 09:45 PM

Best bet is to drive a few dif. models then make your decision based upon your connection with the vehicle.
Older is more pure, more of the original experience...add years and you add weight, more isolation and to be truthful more HP.
Initially 911's were a less is more deal, not so after 89 and even in the mid 80's the weight and equipment started to creep up.

Ed Hughes 02-16-2014 12:02 AM

Cardiff seems to pull in decent cars from time to time. I don't know them, but I've not heard anything ill of them. For a PPI, you're probably best suited to use Black Forest in SD.

I'd be happy to look at it, but I'm already over 20k air miles this year, and adding a bunch more the next 2 weeks-simply gone too much until week of 3/3.

I'll also offer my normal advise-don't get hung up on G50's, a 915 box is no slouch.

Ed Hughes 02-16-2014 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Reiver (Post 11138216)
Best bet is to drive a few dif. models then make your decision based upon your connection with the vehicle.
Older is more pure, more of the original experience...add years and you add weight, more isolation and to be truthful more HP.
Initially 911's were a less is more deal, not so after 89 and even in the mid 80's the weight and equipment started to creep up.

Easily rectified. My '84 was only 2650lbs with an 85lb boat anchor roll bar. And about 265HP. Pretty pure, IMO. :D

Reiver 02-16-2014 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes (Post 11138499)
Easily rectified. My '84 was only 2650lbs with an 85lb boat anchor roll bar. And about 265HP. Pretty pure, IMO. :D

SCWDP...and I didn't even mention the crappy G50 tranny either.....(obviously not in your T)

r_32 02-16-2014 09:24 AM

Thanks Ed

The car at Cardiff looks to be pretty nice. If you had the ability to look at it that would be unbelievable. A more experienced view would be some invaluable insight.

I have some more questions into them about a couple of cosmetic items I noticed in pics. The most concerning is what looks to be some rust behind the wheel in the only relatively close up pic. If i see some there must be something i cant see as well. Also a tear in something by the vin badge.

The rust item made me ask for some paint meter readings/pics. I have burned two ppis already and am learning a bit more to try to make this last ppi the one i buy (hopefully). Haven't gotten a response yet.

And I hear you on the g50, but my wife will want to drive it some and if this one goes well, i will get to add another one or two down the line. (Hence torn on power steering!)