Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie about to purchase first 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 AM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ed

The car at Cardiff looks to be pretty nice but if someone with much more experience could look at it that would be unbelievable. And I hear you on the travel, I wish I had more miles now because that would have meant more flights weren't cancelled. I have burned the cash on a couple of ppis in this process and I want this next one to be it. Thanks for the recommendation on the ppi shop if I pursue this one.

I do have a couple follow up questions into Cardiff on some things I saw in the pics. There looks to be some rust behind the rear passenger wheel on close up. I asked for some paint meter readings/pics. Figure there must be more I can't see as well if there is some on surface. Also a tear in something by the vin badge. Haven't seen a response yet though.

On the g50, I hear you. But my wife is also going to want to drive this and it is more simple and similar to what she has driven before. And if she likes this first one, i can hopefully add some more in the future. Hence the being torn on the 964 with power steering. Gotta balance w the boss at home!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 AM
r_32
Instructor

Looks like the fail on saving message for the first reply was wrong. Sorry for doubling up.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with buying older Porsches is that no matter how good the PPI there are always issues to sort out in the first year or two of ownership. Paying high prices at some fancy botique won't guarantee your 20-30 YO car is not going to have issues. Low milage or special editions is the reason for the high prices in many of these places. I would rather buy a higher milage classic Porsche from an enthusiast whom you know has taken care of the car properly. These cars when taken care of can literally run for hundreds of thousands of miles. and unlike the newer modern cars just about everything on them is rebuildable.
BTW i take exception to the fellow who claims the G50 is crap. In my opinion it is one of the best and most enjoyable transmissions I have ever experienced in any car. Shifting is smooth, quick and accurate. I get that it doesn't have the "characteristic" quirkiness of the previous box, but that doesn't make it crap. With the G50 you can take better advantage of those 224 ponies and will drive the car more aggressively.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by r_32
Thanks Ed

The car at Cardiff looks to be pretty nice but if someone with much more experience could look at it that would be unbelievable. And I hear you on the travel, I wish I had more miles now because that would have meant more flights weren't cancelled. I have burned the cash on a couple of ppis in this process and I want this next one to be it. Thanks for the recommendation on the ppi shop if I pursue this one.

I do have a couple follow up questions into Cardiff on some things I saw in the pics. There looks to be some rust behind the rear passenger wheel on close up. I asked for some paint meter readings/pics. Figure there must be more I can't see as well if there is some on surface. Also a tear in something by the vin badge. Haven't seen a response yet though.

On the g50, I hear you. But my wife is also going to want to drive this and it is more simple and similar to what she has driven before. And if she likes this first one, i can hopefully add some more in the future. Hence the being torn on the 964 with power steering. Gotta balance w the boss at home!
I could maybe look at it next Saturday at the earliest. Off to Charlotte in the morning until Thurs night, with a possible detour to Minneapolis.

Originally Posted by KurtF
My experience with buying older Porsches is that no matter how good the PPI there are always issues to sort out in the first year or two of ownership. Paying high prices at some fancy botique won't guarantee your 20-30 YO car is not going to have issues. Low milage or special editions is the reason for the high prices in many of these places. I would rather buy a higher milage classic Porsche from an enthusiast whom you know has taken care of the car properly. These cars when taken care of can literally run for hundreds of thousands of miles. and unlike the newer modern cars just about everything on them is rebuildable.
BTW i take exception to the fellow who claims the G50 is crap. In my opinion it is one of the best and most enjoyable transmissions I have ever experienced in any car. Shifting is smooth, quick and accurate. I get that it doesn't have the "characteristic" quirkiness of the previous box, but that doesn't make it crap. With the G50 you can take better advantage of those 224 ponies and will drive the car more aggressively.
I think the G50 comment he made was a little tongue in cheek....but I still insist a 915 can take plenty of advantage of HP in that neighborhood, as well.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Ed is correct on the G50 comment.....cars and their parts become sacred cows, mine included.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Agreed!!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 PM
r_32
Instructor

I've driven the 915s and while I like them, I do think I would get a bit tired of them and I know my wife would end up costing me some repairs. Patience would not be shown on the shifting.

The more we keep kicking around, I think we've taken out the 964s. She likes the 3.2 looks and is willing to sacrifice power steering for those beautiful lines.

Any thoughts on the cab vs coupe? Aside from the rigidity, which shouldn't mean much as we would just tool around at a modest pace. No interest in tracking or pushing it too hard. Reading we have done says cabs should be more expensive but every nice car I have seen costs more for coupe. What gives here?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

There may be more demand right now for the coupe as people may be looking to track the car.
Of course the cab vs coupe is a personal decision, regardless here is my two cents. My wife and I really enjoy those opportunities when we can go for a cruise with the top down. It really adds a great deal of enjoyment in the nice weather. Another point is that with the older cars the AC even when it does work it's not great. The cab is much more comfy on a hot day.
Your right the rigidity is a non-issue on the road. The downsides to the cab, as with all convertibles, top up, more wind noise at speed, less visibility.
BTW my wife likes the lines of the 3.2 as well. happy wife, happy life!!
Good Luck.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 PM
r_32
Instructor

Thanks again for the perspective Kurt.
I really appreciate the different points of view I have received so far on my first submission. A buddy at work was spot on when he said I should take some questions to Rennlist as they seem to be the best.

It's great to hear some good feedback as opposed to "dude...that's awesome" or "I like red and a whale tail" or "my merc has more hp"...
Old 02-16-2014, 11:44 PM
User 123
Instructor

I've owned a number of 911's in the following order - 1986, 1998, 1989, 2006.

I still own the 1989..... and getting her ready for Spring. She's been the best of the bunch. I'm a huge fan of the 1987-1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe.

This article has been posted before but is worth mentioning again incase you missed it.....
http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/...che-2009-08-11
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Cab or Coupe.
If you really love the top down get the Cab but they require more maint. than a Coupe...tops and sealing etc.
Rigidity is another issue but if it's a cruiser then who cares.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 PM
r_32
Instructor

I saw an 87 cab and 89 coupe on Sloans website. He seems to be a bit quirky when speaking with him about purchasing one of these cars. The price seems to be full freight (as expected) but even more so, it is just difficult to deal with. He did indicate that he fixes everything that comes up in a PPI which seems good. But I don't want to play hide and seek with the car problems. One thing was odd is that he did say there was a place he wouldn't allow his cars to go to. Has anyone heard about that before, and are there some good PPI places in his area that aren't this one place?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 AM
tcabler
Banned

Originally Posted by r_32
I've driven the 915s and while I like them, I do think I would get a bit tired of them and I know my wife would end up costing me some repairs. Patience would not be shown on the shifting.

The more we keep kicking around, I think we've taken out the 964s. She likes the 3.2 looks and is willing to sacrifice power steering for those beautiful lines.

Any thoughts on the cab vs coupe? Aside from the rigidity, which shouldn't mean much as we would just tool around at a modest pace. No interest in tracking or pushing it too hard. Reading we have done says cabs should be more expensive but every nice car I have seen costs more for coupe. What gives here?
If you havn't already, you need to drive a 964 before you go about dismissing it. You truly have the best of all worlds with the 964: you've got the classic 911 style without the awful looking accordian bumpers, the g50 tranny, the power assisted steering that doesn't insulate you from the feel of the road, a functional A/C (which your wife will want), and much more power.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:58 PM
r_32
Instructor

So was working on setting up a ppi for the car in Encinitas. Wife stops the deal and says red is way too flash of a color. Color. Not is this car sound and all that is made out to be, but the color. Ugh...
Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 PM
r_32
Instructor

Still can't believe it.

Quick Reply: Newbie about to purchase first 911