Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

quick opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Is a P-dealer OK for an inspection?
Probably not for a car this old. One of my fellow p-car owners here in the Wash DC area recently told me about a local Porsche dealer that actually hired a mechanic that can work on early cars...early cars to this Porsche dealer are SCs and Carreras! So, chances are a Porsche dealer may not have mechanics familiar enough with SCs to do a proper PPI.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:57 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's in exceptional condition, and the 45K is real, I think it's worth the price. However, it must be what you want. You can get a Carrera 3.2 or even a 964 for that price, but neither would be in the kind of condition that the 45K SC SHOULD be in for that price.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Hetmann
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do NOT take the SC to a dealer for PPI. My local dealer does not carry parts or work on "those antique cars". I don't think they have anyone on staff who knows half as much as I do about the car and I'm not a mechanic. Find a local independent who specializes in older p-cars.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Jerry,

Just recently did what you are contemplating. Bought an '81 SC that had jsut under 35,000 original miles on it. I've known both the first owner and his good friend, the second owner, who bought it in '88. I have all of the records, which demonstrate that the rubber centered clutch went two years ago (~ 33,000 miles) and was replaced. The valves were adjusted when the engine was out for the clutch replacement and the service order says the head studs looked good.

I know how the car was driven and how it was cared for - probably never spent a night outside until I bought it!

I had an independent shop that does almost nothing but Porsche work go over the car before I agreed to buy it. We found what the second owner told me. The air doesn't work and the radio didn't work.

I know that anything can happen, particularly to a 22 year old car. But I've started with a really sound "platform" - low miles and very good history.

I love this car.

Richard

Quick Reply: quick opinion