Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carbs to Fuel Injection Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM
3.0Dude
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs to Fuel Injection Conversion

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster!

I have searched a lot about this topic but still don't have the information I need.

I have a 3.0L engine, JE pistons, Web Cams, Weber Carbs and I would like to convert it to a fuel injection using a 964 setup (intake, throttle, fuel injectors, harness, etc). Has anyone done a conversion like this before? If so, what did it entail? Any reason it cannot be done?

Lots of info converting 3.0Ls to carbs, but not the other way around.

Thanks in advance!
3.0Dude
Old 02-05-2014, 07:02 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

Check pelican forums.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Would be easier to sell what you've got, then acquire a complete 3.2 to swap in. Or a 3.6, but that would be a bit more expensive.

Ultimately, you've got port matching problems with a 3.6 manifold to an earlier engine, a distributor that rotates the other way, things like a cylinder head temperature switch that doesn't exist on a 3.0, etc. And then the question of whether your cam profile will even work with a plenum intake.

Finally, can it be done? Sure. More important question is why you'd want to.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:25 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why?
Why convert to injection? Is chip tuning something you want to explore?
Why use JE pistons? Some might consider this a budget minded alternative in a rebuild without more information. Is this a 2.2/2.4/2.7 converted to 3.0 or a good ol' SC motor built to scream? Your heads, ports and valve size as well as piston type should all be (have been) considered when building the motor you have. If not, converting to injection could get you nothing and cost you lots. A stock 3.0/CIS or late-mid 80s 3.2 with adequate exhaust will get you what you may be looking for. If the engine you have is properly built and tuned it should be a joy to drive.
To blockhed: Why go to pelican?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My guess is that the FI option is not going to give you any more power than the Webers.... personally, I'd spend some money with a really good tuner to make sure the Webers are jetted properly.

The problem with the original CIS was that it limited airflow after about 6K RPM. Also, using high-lift cams caused intake pulses that screwed up the metering system.

Its all about pumping air through the engine, and there is just so much air/fuel you can pump through a 3.0L engine. Properly jetted carbs (Weber/PMO) will deliver all the air/fuel the engine can possibly use, especially at higher RPM and allows more aggressive cams.... more valve overlap creates more air-flow... also, headers and free-flow exhaust help too.

FI may give slightly better fuel economy, emissions, or drivability at partial throttle, I doubt it will give much better power to justify all the expense and complexity.

Engine swaps sound really cool, and end up horribly expensive...

I've been racing a 3.0SC for over 12 years... IMHO, the best way to improve performance is to get weight out of the car, and build a close-ratio gearbox.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure that the Web cams will even work with 964 injection/ engine management. What I'd do is look closely at a 993 complete engine with intake. Jack Olsen's BB II comes to mind.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 PM
metalracer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the kit you need! I just bought a 3.4 that has a complete 3.2 injection system on it that I'm looking to sell. This is going in a '72 hotrod and I want carbs for a more period-correct setup. Maybe we can talk about trading your Webers?? Check my ad on Pelican:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ake-w-dme.html

However, like 'race911' and others are saying here, I dunno how you'd connect the cylinder head temp sensor. I can envision some not too tricky fabrication to your existing heads to facilitate this.

BTW, if you went with a 3.6 manifold, you'll also need 3-bolt to 2-bolt flange adapters.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

3.0Dude...

It would help if you told us what you are trying to accomplish.

A race engine?

A street ap?

A hot rod?

What's your end-game?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JCP, that seems to be the big question; Why do you want to do this? and without any objective it's hard to advise. A carbed/cammed 3.0 is the end-game for many 2.7/SC owners.

Quick Reply: Carbs to Fuel Injection Conversion