Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Seat Delete Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 3.2 has a birch plywood enclosure in place of the rear seats, which is covered by factory carpet. The entire rear interior was re-done. The "box" consists of a vertical plane that starts at the base of the firewall where it meets the floor that meets at a right angle to the horizontal plane that starts at the top of the seat back mounting hinge point. The seat wells create a cavity that you can store small items in. The passenger side has a latched compartment and the driver's side has a 12" subwoofer. The P.O. did all of the work. There is a second vertical plane that starts at the seat back base, and tilts toward the rear shelf, which is where the real artistry is. The rear shelf is screwed into the vertical plane with a reinforcing wooden cleat that runs the width of the rear shelf. This cleated joint is both strong and light, due to the high quality of the wood materials. The materials themselves are high quality birch that you'd use to make guitars and speaker enclosures. Everything was glued with some sort of rubberized silicone that still holds to this day, and there are zero squeaks and rattles.

I'd have to look for pics if you're interested. I'm happy with it, but as has been said, there is not an increase in useable space compared to just folding down the seat backs. But, since the seatbacks themselves take up space I feel that the box itself provides more utility than the seat cushions, if that makes any sense.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
My 3.2 has a birch plywood enclosure in place of the rear seats, which is covered by factory carpet. The entire rear interior was re-done. The "box" consists of a vertical plane that starts at the base of the firewall where it meets the floor that meets at a right angle to the horizontal plane that starts at the top of the seat back mounting hinge point. The seat wells create a cavity that you can store small items in. The passenger side has a latched compartment and the driver's side has a 12" subwoofer. The P.O. did all of the work. There is a second vertical plane that starts at the seat back base, and tilts toward the rear shelf, which is where the real artistry is. The rear shelf is screwed into the vertical plane with a reinforcing wooden cleat that runs the width of the rear shelf. This cleated joint is both strong and light, due to the high quality of the wood materials. The materials themselves are high quality birch that you'd use to make guitars and speaker enclosures. Everything was glued with some sort of rubberized silicone that still holds to this day, and there are zero squeaks and rattles.

I'd have to look for pics if you're interested. I'm happy with it, but as has been said, there is not an increase in useable space compared to just folding down the seat backs. But, since the seatbacks themselves take up space I feel that the box itself provides more utility than the seat cushions, if that makes any sense.
Thank you, I'll now add this to my list of must do items.... minus the subwoofer part and the hinged part. I just want the shelf. This is exactly why I bought extra bulk Perlon from Bob.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug, the amount of hand work that went into the car, including the hand made positive battery clamp (that I had to toss out) is in the hundreds of hours, easily. The guy who did it is Kenny Lawrence of Lawrence Intstruments. His day job is making bass guitars and electric guitars for guys like James Hetfield, and the Doobie Brothers.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
Doug, the amount of hand work that went into the car, including the hand made positive battery clamp (that I had to toss out) is in the hundreds of hours, easily. The guy who did it is Kenny Lawrence of Lawrence Intstruments. His day job is making bass guitars and electric guitars for guys like James Hetfield, and the Doobie Brothers.
The Doobie Brothers? I used to live just down the road from them on Hwy 12 in Sonoma. The summer of '83.....Listen to the music.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
The Doobie Brothers? I used to live just down the road from them on Hwy 12 in Sonoma. The summer of '83.....Listen to the music.
Doobie Brothers. You actually went to the Doobie Brothers???

Shhhh.... watch out or the Study Hall Monitor will come in and close the thread
Old 02-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Doobie Brothers. You actually went to the Doobie Brothers???

Shhhh.... watch out or the Study Hall Monitor will come in and close the thread
Did you read my post? They had a house a couple miles from where I was living. We were neighbors. Did not "go see them"

You drinking?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Did you read my post? They had a house a couple miles from where I was living. We were neighbors. Did not "go see them"

You drinking?
No, just snowed-in... got power back, but limited options.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete Carpet