Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear Seat Delete Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Delete Carpet

Is there a source for a rear seat delete partial carpet set or will this be a DIY project for me. And if it's the latter, what is the type carpet I have?

Car is an '82 SC and the carpet quite soft and "fuzzy," sort of like velour (which is one of the carpet descriptions available. I think, but really don't, if this was the original carpet or not.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:12 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of option here, but why do you want to "delete" the rear seats? Are they in bad condition? Is this just a quick-fix for a track car, or do you what a factory-level result?

The typical option is called an "RS" carpet set. The "RS" had no rear seats. Most Porsche upholstery dealers offer this, but mostly just in black... but their web-sites should tell you what they have.

Also, the rear compartment of these cars has a thick layer of sound-deading/padding. Removing this is messy, and will make the car much louder. Unless it is defective, I would leave it in place, so make sure any carpet set you buy will fit over this.

In my limited experience, even "factory" carpet kits require quite a bit of fiddling to fit correctly. Unless you are very handy with this type of stuff, it can be frustrating and the results less than perfect.

If a professional appearance is important to you. it might make sense to just go to a good local upholstery shop that specializes in classics/imports. They can probably buy OEM carpet stock in exactly the nap and color you want, and cut and fit it perfectly.

It may not be all that much more expensive than messing with a "pre-cut" carpet kit that doesn't fit correctly.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can buy the original carpet from Porsche. But it's around $300 per yard. It sounds like you have the original carpet.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Call Bob at www.appbiz.com

Bob owns the die boards and has the fabric in stock. Everyone goes to him. May as well go direct.

He custom made my carpet to order. I wanted black Perlon felt in my cabriolet cut to RS specs with rear seat delete. He had no problem with the order and it seems it was at my house in less than 72 hours. I even ordered extra welting and a couple extra yards of Perlon just in case. Love it. Also got my door cards from him. heck, I got my gas flap and a few other tidbits from him too.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
You can buy the original carpet from Porsche. But it's around $300 per yard. It sounds like you have the original carpet.
Ouch! You can buy a nice semi-antique Sarouk for less than that.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Ouch! You can buy a nice semi-antique Sarouk for less than that.
I know. You can buy wool carpet from Macy's Home Store for that amount too.

The PO of my 911 was a crazy audiophile who makes handmade guitars. He bought Porsche carpet and re-did the entire back half of the car. If I want to refresh the interior, then I'll have to spend some $$ on the good stuff.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

The reason I want to delete the rear seats is cargo/luggage volume only. My seats are in great shape. But they will never be used as seats, and when folded down a lot of useful volume goes away.

What I would really like for back there is that storage console thing - whatever they called it - but my guess is that chances of finding one of those is nil.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

I will be calling Bob soon myself for some carpeting, seems like everyone uses him with great results.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
The reason I want to delete the rear seats is cargo/luggage volume only. My seats are in great shape. But they will never be used as seats, and when folded down a lot of useful volume goes away.

What I would really like for back there is that storage console thing - whatever they called it - but my guess is that chances of finding one of those is nil.
Someone needs to reproduce it.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

If someone can get me some pictures and some data I might be able to make something happen.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by blockhed
If someone can get me some pictures and some data I might be able to make something happen.
Google is your friend.

And corrugated pads make great templets.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

You sir are mean, I don't need one since the roll cage is in the way . I was just trying to help the fellow who originally posted.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Regarding the "factory" option rear seat delete compartment, was there ever really such a thing? I've seen images in the forum of such things, but generally when such an item is a factory item it appears in the parts book as an option. I've pored over that quite a bit and and not found it.

But I am considering making one at some point if I don't find it made for me. I'm mulling over materials; plywood seems awfully low-tech and heavy (although you obviously cover all that stuff with carpet - just like the factory!) but it does have strength and that's needed since to be useful it needs to support at least 100# when luggage/whatever is piled on it. I have access to a good sheetmetal guy, and I'm thinking maybe heavy gauge aluminum with the top and front side all one piece with a large radius bend at the front. Still in the thinking stages.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

The "luggage compartment" was a factory option in the late 60's but I've never seen one... Google around... who knows what you might find.

I actually attempted to build one of these things back in the day using 1/2 plywood. (I built all my own kitchen cabinets, so I do have some pretty extensive woodworking experience).

Turned into a huge PIA, and at the end of the day, I abandoned it as there was no significant increase in usable storage space vs simply folding down the rear seats, and if you ever decide to sell your car, you'll have to replace the stock seats anyway.

Your easiest approach is to simply remove the fold down seat-backs. This will take about 20 minutes.

If you want to pursue, I'd suggest using fiberglass. This will give best strength/weight, and, though messy, would be easier to fabricate in whatever shape you want.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

I was looking at it from a sort "out of sight, out of mind" storage area under the platform more so than actual additional volume. And then there's the volume taken up by the seat upholstery.

I have significant fiberglass and foam experience (experimental Aircraft) but am trying to avoid it since my shop area is really no longer set up for it.

Still thinking it over; long term idea anyway

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete Carpet