Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

EDIT-1976 911 Targa Ferry Porsche Signature Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car currently is not a driver, been sitting a few years and needs a going through. Turns over freely and needs tinkering. My goal would be to get it to a good driving mechanical state, and then see the value there.

I can get this car at a price where I feel (based on yours guys opinion to price after running driving condition) there is money to be made essentially "flipping" it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Would the cookie cutters be offered on this car in the MY76? I did not think cookies were around till the 80s?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by banana944
Car currently is not a driver, been sitting a few years and needs a going through. Turns over freely and needs tinkering. My goal would be to get it to a good driving mechanical state, and then see the value there.

I can get this car at a price where I feel (based on yours guys opinion to price after running driving condition) there is money to be made essentially "flipping" it.
But if you "flip" it this could cause you to rebuild the entire roofing structure... which could cost you to spend many additional dollars.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JCP911S
But if you "flip" it this could cause you to rebuild the entire roofing structure... which could cost you to spend many additional dollars.
Well this is why I am asking you gents idea of the value as the car sits. If you guys think its worth 10k as it sits, I have the potential to make money WITHOUT even doing anything, even if I'm told 9k or 8k.. Again, I am able to get into this car at a low price.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Further research, and some awesome info from a member on Pelican, it has come to my attention that this may be 1 of 200 1976S Ferry Porsche Signature edition 911's.

Insignia on the steering wheel, color matched cookies and body, left hand mirror, and the unique color and tweed interior combo are all consistent.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It's still a '76, in the middle of the "unloved" or "not as loved" years. Nobody here can assign a value of any merit. If you can get such a smoking deal, buy it, and good luck. Ebay will give you your value.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yuck. Stick with '44's, 4x4's, and fire arms. I would pass at $5000 and not look back. Poor thing has cancer bad.

Think about how upside down you are on your turbo and multiply that by a factor of 2, 3, or even 4, when you venture into the world of 911's. When Ed says it will take $20K to make a $17K car into a $20K he is being generous.

That ski rack on the rear bumper is going to cost you at least $500 to weld up and paint. Your deck lid will be close to that. Carpet will be $750++++ IF you have the skill to do all of it yourself. Speaking of DIY...You will need new shocks, brake lines, and dozens of "while you are in there items throughout the car. Hope the fuel tank isnt rusting. Cheapest paint job on the planet is over $6K when its a 911. Now that MM is out of business you better have $1,000 just for tune up bolt on's for the engine and another $5-9K if it doesn't run. i could go on....any chance you have tranny jigs?

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 01-16-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

As the owner of a '74 I can speak with some authority on this one.
Worth it? Depends on what your expectations are. IF you plan to drive it hard at all ( DE AX, etc) and if not already done, it will need:
Head stud certs (which also triggers a top end re-build & tensioners), all suspension rubber (A-arms, trailing arms, etc) brake lines and caliper re-build (MC while you're there) all soft fuel lines, tank flush, shifter bushings & coupler, pedal cluster bushings (including tunnel bushings) CIS service (sleeves and o-rings at minimum) just to start.
Then, yes, Targa top if you don't want it to leak and whistle.
Then.... you get to the cosmetics....
Here's a thread on my front only suspension work:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-re-build.html
Towards the end of the thread is a shot of the pile of parts that came off. In a month or so I'll start in on the rear to have it ready for the upcoming DE season.

Okay, all that said, if you want a weekend driver and don't expect to push it much you can do a brake and fuel flush and then nickel and dime it along.

The mid- years do not have the torque and reliability of the later cars, but if you like the narrow body look, and properly set up they're light responsive and fun cars to drive. I paid $5k for mine and am currently at about $15, with most of the modifications listed above done.
-C
Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Porsche didn't start galvanizing until 1976 and 1977.
IIRC They started galvanizing the floors in '72 or '73, started galvanizing everything up to beltline/pillars in '75, and started galvanizing the full car in '77.

The 924 didn't receive full galvanizing until a bit later, and unsure on the 914.

Ski rack is interesting.

Take care,
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I think if you are about flipping cars the mid year would not be the one to do .. no discredit to the owners but these cars are generally undesireable by the masses. This one would be too as you cant prove the very expensive engine work it needs.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the input guys. Not sure what direction I will take. Going to get a look at the car today, will give myself a better idea. Entry price is low, but I understand the risk of $$$ repairs and updates it needs.

If I were to pick this car up, no paint job, no interior work, just tinker with the mechanicals to get her moving again with its "patina". I know this is not a high dollar, or highly desirable car. My initial thoughts were to potentially make a flip of it, but just seems too risky as the level of profit could be tapped out by repair work.

Still would be a cheap way to get myself into 911 ownership, and make it more of a long term project. Already got my 951 I could track, would love to just putz around town in a car like that.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

There is no such thing as a cheap 911.

Thanks for all the input guys. Not sure what direction I will take. Going to get a look at the car today, will give myself a better idea. Entry price is low, but I understand the risk of $$$ repairs and updates it needs.

If I were to pick this car up, no paint job, no interior work, just tinker with the mechanicals to get her moving again with its "patina". I know this is not a high dollar, or highly desirable car. My initial thoughts were to potentially make a flip of it, but just seems too risky as the level of profit could be tapped out by repair work.

Still would be a cheap way to get myself into 911 ownership, and make it more of a long term project. Already got my 951 I could track, would love to just putz around town in a car like that.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
There is no such thing as a cheap 911.
Never said there was, there is no cheap Porsche in general!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:32 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I think it's pretty.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Never said there was, there is no cheap Porsche in general!
I guess I misunderstood your statement on a cheap way into 911 ownership.

Quick Reply: EDIT-1976 911 Targa Ferry Porsche Signature Series