Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

996! I've heard tons of these IMS and RMS stories but have not personally met anyone with a failure. I think all the hype and negativism about this issue is way overblown. Look at the facts, very few cars actually had these issues, so the squeaky wheel gets the oil. It's amazing to me how this issue has become so rampant on the boards. If I was a newby to the 996 I would have run the other way a long time ago. However, I drive my 04 C4S Cab the way it was meant to be driven and perform proper maintenance. It's been a dream. Take the time to check the boards on "high milage 996's" there are many out there with no issues and are racking up many miles as DD. Look for one that has been taken care of and priced right, you be glad you did. Just my .02
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bernardbarbour
996! I've heard tons of these IMS and RMS stories but have not personally met anyone with a failure. I think all the hype and negativism about this issue is way overblown. Look at the facts, very few cars actually had these issues, so the squeaky wheel gets the oil. It's amazing to me how this issue has become so rampant on the boards. If I was a newby to the 996 I would have run the other way a long time ago. However, I drive my 04 C4S Cab the way it was meant to be driven and perform proper maintenance. It's been a dream. Take the time to check the boards on "high milage 996's" there are many out there with no issues and are racking up many miles as DD. Look for one that has been taken care of and priced right, you be glad you did. Just my .02
Great advice....unless you are one of those to lose the motor. It may be a minority, but the threat is real, and warrants due diligence.

There is still that issue about the looks, however.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NYNick
Better move quickly on the 993's. The coupes have escalated dramatically already, although all the CAB's across the board seem to be a better value these days. (356's excepted)
Funny how the coupes were 'base models', and the Targas and CABs were expensive options, yet nowadays the coupes bring a premium over both.
That's how they getcha!
And Tiptronic too, expensive option and worth less than a Manual.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ask jordanturbo if it's real.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely consider a 996TT. They are a bargain price-wise, have the bullet-proof Mezger engine, and are quite fun and FAST...

The 996 is a great car, but to me is the ugly stepchild of the 911 line. Also - the wet sump M96 engines were not so good on the track and would "grenade" due to oil starvation. But for street driving? Should be fine - just look for the IMS/RMS fixes...

I recommend setting a budget, and then driving examples of ALL 911s that fit that within that budget.

Good luck.
-B
Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
Definitely consider a 996TT. B
The cheapest example I could find at Cars.com is $35, just outside of my price range. But you're all right: this is quite a bargain for a turbo. Amazing, this pricing won't last long. All P-cars start going up in value at some point in time.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

996tt are great cars... but they do have issues that pops up. (like 2nd gear). Hoses un-glueing (expensive repair), But... they are the BEST bargains... remember, these are $120k cars back in the day. I for one love the look of the 996... for commoners, they think they are the newer models becuase they do look different.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:45 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Ask jordanturbo if it's real.
My friend bought a new '03 C4S. Had car 8 years and IMS went after only 23k on the clock. My bro-in-law, just bought a '01 C2 w/ 40k on the clock. Loves the car, but all remains to be seen IMS wise. For the record, I tried to talk him out of it, mainly for the styling. However, it's tough to get a Carrera w/ that level of performance, for under $20k. The $20k to me, reflects the undesirability of the car.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

All i can say is you dont get out much... the issue is very real ... i dont know that many people but of my close Porsche frinds of which i have about 10 ( yes real people so no smart *** responses ) 4 have had catastrophic engine failures

1 boxster IMS
1 997 Carrera .. water jacket leaked into the cylinder and water doesnt compress very well
1 996 C4S Cylinder ovalling engine had to be replaced
1 996 .. ok hes a track guy .. he just wore it out so that one il give a pass.
1 996 IMS failure ...

oh 1 guy right up the street 99 996 we thought was IMS but turned out a chain ramp broke jammed in the timing chain and bent a few valves .. he fixed his ..
Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonett43
I'm in about the same boat, I've started selling my 2005 BMW 545 at 80,000 for fear of impending expensive repairs....it has been an extremely reliable, comfortable and somewhat fun family hauler, big motor, manual gearbox, lots of goodies.

But now I've got a 1991 C4 coming in from the west, should be here in a week, and I'm stoked, I'll run snows on it during the winter....my 8 year old can't wait to be hauled around in it....He's just about ready to ride up front, when mom doesn't tag along...in fact, his mom is excited too...she thinks she might get to drive it from time to time.

photos upon arrival.
Tick…tick…tick….

Listen my friend, this issue is more than real. I've literally witnessed my buddy's 996 with a pool of oil under his car that rivaled the Exxon Valez. Speak to any independent shop, and they'll advise you to address this issue TODAY, and not just because they want your money. Once it goes, you and your car are toast, to the tune of about $20k.

If you choose to forgo this advise, you're a gambler, plain and simple. Up to you, of course.

Nick
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYNick
Tick…tick…tick…. Listen my friend, this issue is more than real. I've literally witnessed my buddy's 996 with a pool of oil under his car that rivaled the Exxon Valez. Speak to any independent shop, and they'll advise you to address this issue TODAY, and not just because they want your money. Once it goes, you and your car are toast, to the tune of about $20k. If you choose to forgo this advise, you're a gambler, plain and simple. Up to you, of course. Nick
Makes me want to get a 964 all the more. Don't these older 911's have valve guide issues? Or does the 964 not have these as much?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 996's are great cars and the fix isn't all that expensive…after which your car will be good to go!
You just have to make sure it's done!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:50 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Fixed the picture for you....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: After owning 2 P-cars, which one should I buy