Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Parking brake is locking in the left wheel. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake is locking in the left wheel. Help needed.

I just rebuilt the suspension and steering on my 1981 911SC. When I set and adjust the parking brake is seems to work fine and lever arm is evenly balanced. Often when I pull the parking brake it will not release the left wheel. The cable is loose but the wheel is jammed really well and the car does not want to move. There is still the small amount of rotation back and forth when you turn the wheel but no more than that. This rotation is normal on both sides and I assume this is the shoes bumping into their rest position stops. I have to remove the wheel and caliper to pry the rotor off and then it seems to work fine again.

While rebuilding, this side of the car had an extra washer that the right side did not. I may have mistakenly put it there during disassembly or someone else may have in the past. It was between the shoe mechanism and the pipe for the cable adjustment. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem and I don't think it belonged in there.

Any ideas or help?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It could be as simple as needing a bit of lube on the bushing. The expansion mechanism could be out of adjustment too. If it has to travel too far it could bind. That doesn't help, does it? Make sure it doesn't have to expand too much for the pads to touch the drum. Three clicks of the brake lever and you should have contact.

I'd put the washer back and get the pads as close to the drum as possible. This gets tough when there is a lip on the drum.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the washer is hanging up in the banana arm, then that is what is causing your problem. Remove the washer. There is a small washer under the castle nut for the pb cable.

Quick Reply: Parking brake is locking in the left wheel. Help needed.