Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for input on a potential buy, 1972 911 RS Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Taking it from the other perspective, what is the best RS Tribute car anyone knows of for $40k?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:21 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This car is a Hot Rod.

A "Hot Rod" is worth what somebody is willing to spend to build it and what someone is willing to pay to buy it.

It has no provenance, so any valuation based on auction sales of documented cars is meaningless... what's it worth to you?

I got my cat from a shelter for free... we spent $1,000 on medical bills. The cat is worth nothing, but my wife loves her, so she is priceless (the cat, not my wife, BTW).
Old 12-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
This car is a Hot Rod.

A "Hot Rod" is worth what somebody is willing to spend to build it and what someone is willing to pay to buy it.

It has no provenance, so any valuation based on auction sales of documented cars is meaningless... what's it worth to you?

I got my cat from a shelter for free... we spent $1,000 on medical bills. The cat is worth nothing, but my wife loves her, so she is priceless (the cat, not my wife, BTW).
Speaking of cats.... The original owner of my cat paid $500 for it from a high end breeder. That woman sold it on craigslist to my wife for $50. Stupid thing lives across the street now and comes over to frisk the female cats and mooch food. Bastard
Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Speaking of cats.... The original owner of my cat paid $500 for it from a high end breeder. That woman sold it on craigslist to my wife for $50. Stupid thing lives across the street now and comes over to frisk the female cats and mooch food. Bastard
Nice to be a cat... severance package, free food and free p****Y.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Nice to be a cat... severance package, free food and free p****Y.
He got in a fight once that almost cost him a leg. And yes, it cost me an arm and a leg.
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2013, 05:21 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ow, so off topic... but... huge.

Looks like a "two squirrel" cat to me.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It may hold value, but I don't think that value is $40K currently....

MEOW!!

Originally Posted by petelatteier
I don't disagree with what anyone said. Yes the car may be a little rough, I am currently living overseas (so not in San Diego any more) and there aren't many of these cars or shops that have experience in old air cooled Porsches. I know that is probably a sign that I should walk away, but if the body is clean and rust free and the engine is strong then I think this car will maintain its value. I looked the car over again and I could see a tiny bit of rust at the bottom of the tub where the battery is, but that is it. It looks like there may have been repair to the bottom rear corner of the driver door. I will try to find a respectable shop to do a PPI and see if they can find anything else. If I get this car I plan to keep it a while and improve things slowly. I believe brakes are stock. These wheels are lighter BBS, but I would find some Fuchs. Get some H4 headlights. Not sure what was done to the suspension, I need to try and contact the previous owner that started to build this as a track car. He is in Beverly Hills, FL. I just hope this "rabbit hole" I am jumping into doesn't turn into and endless pit!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of good input, I think JCP911S summed it up nicely. It is clear this is not a collector car, it should be a drivers car and IMO a good air cooled machine will always have a place at the track.... That leads me to believe that the prices will not go down and should continue to appreciate. I can't say at what rate but feel confident in the direction.

Buy it if you love it and if you aren't buying it as an investment.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Lots of good input, I think JCP911S summed it up nicely. It is clear this is not a collector car, it should be a drivers car and IMO a good air cooled machine will always have a place at the track.... That leads me to believe that the prices will not go down and should continue to appreciate. I can't say at what rate but feel confident in the direction.

Buy it if you love it and if you aren't buying it as an investment.
Exactly. Once I realized mine wasn't the Hope diamond and I got over the fear of loosing the $20K my wife forked over for my 911, I was free to do as I wished with it. The first five years were spent making it perfectly stock. I bought new sensor this and rubber gizmo that. Every little interior detail was replaced just for the fun of it....the last two....well....not so much.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:50 AM
petelatteier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. And the cat stories! I have a friend who named his cat Visa since emergency surgery maxed out his card!

Pending an inspection I have agreed to buy this car for $36k. So unless something major comes up or rust is found I should have the car in a week. Then the fun will begin! Where to start...
Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Ask about the headers and paint (but who really cares?).

I agree $40k pending a PPI. Early car prices are high and going up. Obviously you should offer less & list things you don't like, but don't be surprised if it sells out from under you. Be courteous as the guy may take exception to criticism. I had a guy nitpick a '75 I had when it was actually in great shape, and I told him to take a hike.

The real questions here are:
- how badly do you want this car?
- how easily can you do better, and how long will it take?
- how hard will it be to alter it to where YOU want it to be? - e.g. who cares about the gas pedal? you can change that in 10 minutes for a few dollars
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

the have to wonder why someone sells a car after a major engine rebuild and only 600kms.

..you are far better off to go in suspiciously and be pleasantly surprised, than to go in thinking you have a gem ...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
the have to wonder why someone sells a car after a major engine rebuild and only 600kms. ..
Why? Because they paid for the rebuild with a credit card then couldn't afford the payments.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on a potential buy, 1972 911 RS Tribute