Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for input on a potential buy, 1972 911 RS Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 AM
petelatteier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on a potential buy, 1972 911 RS Tribute

Hey guys, I have a chance to buy this car but have a couple questions. After looking up the VIN it shows that it is a 911T. But it has been turned into more of a track car with a 3.0L engine from an SC and the RS bumper and duck tail spoiler, race seats. My question is what is the value of a car like this? I know it is not a #'s matching all original car. 911T's aren't as desirable as "S's"... It is really clean, originally a California car with no rust that I can see. The engine has just been completely rebuilt. Its a non-sunroof car. What do you guys think? I plan to get a PPI done, but is it worth the $40k the guy is asking?

Update: After looking the car over again, this car was not built up as a "tribute" car. It is apparent that it was being built as a track car but not quite finished before being sold. Basically it has been stripped of any unecessary items (heater, rear seats, bonnet/engine cover pulls, bonnet liner). Otherwise it is a fairly clean car with no rust, an unmolested body and a fresh engine.

Last edited by petelatteier; 12-31-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

do you have pictures of the engine top and bottom, the interior and especially in the front trunk area especially towards the front showing around the batteries? From the picture you showed it looks great and the '72 body because of the oil tank placement is very desirable.

After all these years I still kick myself for selling my '72.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:36 AM
petelatteier
Track Day

Here are some more pics. The engine was just rebuilt and has about 600kms on it now. And on the interior pic you will notice it says 911S, but the VIN says its a "T"

Last edited by petelatteier; 12-31-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:12 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I like it, from the pictures it has had lots of TLC
Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Hard to see the real 'detail' that's built into the car. It looks great and the 3.0 will give it an S feel.
How were the body mods done? Glass or metal?
I would try to negotiate that price down some.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks like a very nice car. I had a 69T with a 78 SC 3.0 and it was a fantastic combination of power and lightness. The real issue with the pre-galvanized cars is rust and most of the older cars have been repainted by now which can hide a lot of issues. I would spend most of my PPI time searching for signs of hidden rust. The other issue here is non-originality of the car. As nice as the mods are, they reduce the value of the car. I think $40k is high. If I had to guess I would say this car could be worth around $30k. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 AM
petelatteier
Track Day

Originally Posted by Reiver
Hard to see the real 'detail' that's built into the car. It looks great and the 3.0 will give it an S feel.
I don't think the body itself has been modified. The RS bumper is fiberglass and the ducktail is fiberglass add on to a steel engine cover.

Originally Posted by TT Oversteer
That looks like a very nice car. I had a 69T with a 78 SC 3.0 and it was a fantastic combination of power and lightness. The real issue with the pre-galvanized cars is rust and most of the older cars have been repainted by now which can hide a lot of issues. I would spend most of my PPI time searching for signs of hidden rust. The other issue here is non-originality of the car. As nice as the mods are, they reduce the value of the car. I think $40k is high. If I had to guess I would say this car could be worth around $30k. Good luck!
I will definitely have check it out better for rust but the first time I looked it over I didn't spot any.

I agree with you about the mods reducing the value, but I don't have a lot of options and with the money the owner spent on the engine rebuild he isn't willing to negotiate much...
Old 12-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of the engine details are a bit sketchy. The fuel filter and "T" in the fuel line is a joke. Spend the $40 and do it right. And for golly sake pull the unused studs from the throtthe plate.

And can someone educate me on the use of dayglow paint on the headers???

Where is the rest of the engine tin? Where is the rubber surround? and why is there paint all over the fronk seal?

Ricer gas pedal and generic floor mats??? Blue seats???

....and a parking brake that is so far out of adjustment that it's most likely not working.

This isnt a tribute car. This is a stripped car, gutted on a shoestring budget. Look at the door pull.

Where are the Fuchs?

Love the basic shell of the car, but man, it's very early in the tribute process. So much so, that it isn't much more than a roller with a donor engine at this point. RSA door pulls.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 12-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:58 AM
petelatteier
Track Day

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Love the basic shell of the car, but man, it's very early in the tribute process. So much so, that it isn't much more than a roller with a donor engine at this point. RSA door pulls.
From what I got from the owner the guy he bought it from built it more as a track car, so yes it is more stripped down than a true tribute car. Which makes me feel that his asking price is on the high side. But it is a very clean car to start with. The bad thing for me though is these cars are not common here so you pay a premium, but if I get it I will hang onto it and hopefully it will maintain its value.

Originally Posted by Reiver
What are some of the "detail" things I should look for? Going to take it in for a PPI this week and have another look at it.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Pending the PPI, I'd say $40k is a very good price. The lowest price I've seen for an R/RS/RSR clone that I would consider is $36.5k, and most are in the high $40's for things that need sorting, to mid-high $50's for excellent, fully sorted examples.

Obviously, run screaming away from any hint of rust... Otherwise, good luck with the purchase!
cag4
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

This is everything but a RSR clone. 40k seems too high for me
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

The details I mentioned just referred to things you can check by eye that we can't see in the pics., photos just don't show the details, clos ups, definition that your eye can pick out.
Looks like a nice build and a fun car but that market niche is really kind of a moving target. You'd have to talk to someone in the business to get a firm answer.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

This is not worth $40K, as has been pointed out, there's a lot of stuff not-so-nice, that one may wonder what other shortcuts are there? Brakes, suspension, what's been done there? Details on engine "rebuild"?

If you will drive this in San Diego, you WILL want some form of defrost at some point.

It's off aesthetically too, headlights, wheel size, yada yada. With crazy longhood prices, I suppose they won't go for a lot less than asking. But, you will be spending a lot of money & time to make this right.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:24 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ what Ed says....

Send it to a proper shop that knows early air cooled cars for a PPI. The pictures indicate a "60%er" for lack of a better phrase. It may be better than that once inspected, but maybe not...

Cheers
Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 AM
petelatteier
Track Day

I don't disagree with what anyone said. Yes the car may be a little rough, I am currently living overseas (so not in San Diego any more) and there aren't many of these cars or shops that have experience in old air cooled Porsches. I know that is probably a sign that I should walk away, but if the body is clean and rust free and the engine is strong then I think this car will maintain its value. I looked the car over again and I could see a tiny bit of rust at the bottom of the tub where the battery is, but that is it. It looks like there may have been repair to the bottom rear corner of the driver door. I will try to find a respectable shop to do a PPI and see if they can find anything else. If I get this car I plan to keep it a while and improve things slowly. I believe brakes are stock. These wheels are lighter BBS, but I would find some Fuchs. Get some H4 headlights. Not sure what was done to the suspension, I need to try and contact the previous owner that started to build this as a track car. He is in Beverly Hills, FL. I just hope this "rabbit hole" I am jumping into doesn't turn into and endless pit!

Quick Reply: Looking for input on a potential buy, 1972 911 RS Tribute