More ? about condensor blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:26 PM
BPBevins
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More ? about condensor blower motor

Hello all,

I just bought a new front condensor blower motor for my 86 carrera. The new motor doesnt have the "squirrel cage" on it. I removed the allen nut from the old motor, but cannot remove the cage from the old motor. Do i need to press it out? Am i overlooking something? I tried prying it off, but started to bend the cage. Is the cage a piece i can buy? If i do have to press it off, where can i get a gear puller that small?

thanks
brandon
86 carrera
88 BMW M3
Old 07-22-2003, 04:33 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It presses on to the shaft. If you don't have a small press, you need to support the bottom of the cage right at the shaft and gently tap the shaft out using a small punch or drift. When tapping the cage onto the new motor, place the opposite end of the shaft on a hard surface to keep from damaging the bearings. Note the position of the cage on the old shaft before you start.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:27 AM
bpp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a real pain to work with. I changed mine last summer and honestly can't remember how I removed the fan from the motor.

I haven't seen the cage for sale anywhere, but you may want to try the Grainger supply co., thay may have something that will work for you.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

Quick Reply: More ? about condensor blower motor