Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

catalytic converter upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default catalytic converter upgrade

Got my catalytic converter back. It has been upgraded from the original ceramic carrier to the newer metal style using the same OEM housing. Will be interesting to see/feel if I get some power improvements from the better flow. Will have to wait however as car is hibernating...

Last edited by HorstP; 01-26-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. How cool is that... California is super strict on the OBDII cars but I think we could get away with this in the older cars where visual inspection and test numbers determine pass or fail.

C.A.R.B. now requires test atations to check part numbers on cats to make sure they are approved for a given vehicle. You can be failed for a cat even if it is better than the one approved for a vehicle.

This idea is brilliant.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

would love to see how that was welded on there... any more info on the company of the cats, is this a hi-flo type cats?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:49 AM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have any more pictures, that is pretty much what is visible when looking into the housing. The new cat is quite a bit shorter than the original cat. It has now 100cpsi, so it is a high-flow device. As far as I know the manufacturer of the cat is from Australia but I don't have more information. A little kept secret from the company doing those conversions. This style has been tested over many miles in track duty, cheaper ones fail after a few years. There are even more rugged ones available having 3 cores instead of this one core but them are 600€ just for the matrix.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter upgrade