Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cowl Shake- replacement windshield at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Willie P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl Shake- replacement windshield at fault?

I have an 84 3.2 and previously reported a "rough and noisy" ride - after another 300-400 miles of driving, mostly in colder temps (30-40 degree weather), it seems that the real culprit is a noisy windsheild.

When driving over bumpy roads, the lateral play at the a-pillars is pretty apparent - you can actually see the rubber gasket moving in an opposing (vertical) direction from the windsheild glass. This appears to be the case on both sides, but more so on the passengers side.

also, on a very rainy day in traffic (at a stoplight), the water was pooling on the outside lower edge of each corner of the windshield gasket and then started dripping in to the dash cover (inside).

I've only had the car a few weeks and know that the windshield is a replacement piece. I do not know for sure if the gasket is OEM or replacement.

have others here with replacement glass (non OEM) had similar problems? would switching to OEM replacement be a better fit? or, perhaps, was the non-OEM glass/gasket just poorly installed.

the water seepage was one thing, but the noise and the impression that the glass is going to pop out on a bumpy road is the really disconcerting thing.

what is a remedy? thanks.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

have any pics ?
do oyu have the bezel installed too ?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Willie P
Instructor

bezel...I'm new to 3.2's (last car was a 964). However, I'm restoring a '62 Triumph tr4 right now and actually just ordered the windshield, rubber gasket AND....a thin piece of chrome trim that seals the rubber gasket to the windshield glass on the exterior face of the rubber gasket.

could this piece be missing???? I'm not next to the car at present (but recollection is that there is nothing there). I'm headed to the garage right now to check.....

let me know what I should be looking for...a chrome piece? plastic? a wire embedded into a rubber groove that is not easily discernible with the naked eye?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

The trim is a soft piece of metal that expands the seal to grab the windshield. It has a little trim that locks itself into a groove of the seal.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

^ yup that

it is designed to " push out" the trim so your exact issue doesnt happen .. if you look at the exterior of the rubber trim real close , in the middle you may be able to see and feel the groove .. dig your fingers in ... if you then discover a "slot" in the rubber gasket you could be missing the black anodized or chrome trim.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

The metal trim is absolutely the issue. It may be black on some, if my most Carreras.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Willie P
I have an 84 3.2 and previously reported a "rough and noisy" ride - after another 300-400 miles of driving, mostly in colder temps (30-40 degree weather), it seems that the real culprit is a noisy windsheild.

When driving over bumpy roads, the lateral play at the a-pillars is pretty apparent - you can actually see the rubber gasket moving in an opposing (vertical) direction from the windsheild glass. This appears to be the case on both sides, but more so on the passengers side.

also, on a very rainy day in traffic (at a stoplight), the water was pooling on the outside lower edge of each corner of the windshield gasket and then started dripping in to the dash cover (inside).

I've only had the car a few weeks and know that the windshield is a replacement piece. I do not know for sure if the gasket is OEM or replacement.

have others here with replacement glass (non OEM) had similar problems? would switching to OEM replacement be a better fit? or, perhaps, was the non-OEM glass/gasket just poorly installed.

the water seepage was one thing, but the noise and the impression that the glass is going to pop out on a bumpy road is the really disconcerting thing.

what is a remedy? thanks.
Ive just recently put on a replacement glass (Pilkington). Ive put a polyurethane bead between the glass and the outside seal, this way the glass and seal will be more rigid. Maybe this will help with your glass movement. No issue at all with the replacement... I wonder If the installer didnt put the trim in or used a later seal like the 964 and 993 (they did not use these trims)... using these seals have mixed results.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You can see the windshield trim in this picture. If it is missing, that is the problem. Also, many people have said to use the OEM gasket and not an aftermarket one. To add to that, when a windshield is changed, many times the gasket is reused. Using a new one is the way to go.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
Ive just recently put on a replacement glass (Pilkington). Ive put a polyurethane bead between the glass and the outside seal, this way the glass and seal will be more rigid. Maybe this will help with your glass movement. No issue at all with the replacement... I wonder If the installer didnt put the trim in or used a later seal like the 964 and 993 (they did not use these trims)... using these seals have mixed results.
A 993's windshield is bonded in. The seal only does that, it is not meant to hold the glass in.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche OEM w/s gasket 911-541-225-03, $154.00 list price, used on my '88 coupe. This recommended over aftermarket part. No problems. Picture shows black moulding inserted into gasket BEFORE installation on glass. Clip is on center, one on the bottom, shown, and one on top.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Willie P
Instructor

I appreciate the remarks. However, I did check - the bezel is in there.

I am planning to have the headliner replaced by a pro very soon. Obviously the glass needs to come out for that. I'll have them order an OEM gasket during that time and see if that helps matters.

thanks again for everything.

Aside from that, I now have about 800 miles on the car in about 3 weeks of ownership. Wow - this thing is soooo much fun to drive. I am now finally starting to recollect what it was like to drive my C2 964; although very fast (comparatively), it felt heavy and sluggish. The 911 by contrast - way more tossable and with the 915 you get to blip the throttle for shifting and you can actually feel the engine "spin" - the 964 with the Dual mass flywheel - well, you could not blip for the most part.

the other thing is how much attention the car gets. It's been 5 years since I've had my 964 and I think it still seemed rather contemporary. But now, with most sports cars being so large - this little 911 seems odd to most young folk. I live in the University area of my town and I think most 20-somethings are kind of intrigued. I get a lot of thumbs up.

Regardless, what a great car to drive. wp
Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM
oscarfors
Rennlist Member

For my -87 Carrera, I'm having my windscreen replaced next week; aftermarket window ($500) instead of original OEM ($1000), but with new original gasket and bezel.

My workshop has a glass-guy who seem to know what he's doing. He is insisting that this is a 2-day job; there is supposely some adhesive that needs to sit over night before fitting the bezel. Does this sound right?T

Last edited by oscarfors; 11-15-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: specifying car
Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by oscarfors
For my -87 Carrera, I'm having my windscreen replaced next week; aftermarket window ($500) instead of original OEM ($1000), but with new original gasket and bezel.

My workshop has a glass-guy who seem to know what he's doing. He is insisting that this is a 2-day job; there is supposely some adhesive that needs to sit over night before fitting the bezel. Does this sound right?T
sorry, this is not a 2 day job... more like 2 hours. 30 minutes to remove the glass (bad glass, but keeping the seal). There is no adhesive used but I used a new seal from Pelican that may be diff from the original. 1.5 hours to install... If you know what you are doing, this is a straight forward job.

Now, the rear Targa , glass will take two days for a first timer, now that Ive done mine, I can prob do it in 3-4 hours.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oscarfors

Find a new glass guy-he really doesn't know what he is talking about.

As to Targa rear windows, they all vary. I had a guy and his helper do mine-took a good 6 hours. He done them for all three Porsche dealers for 20+ years. He said some drop right in, some don't. Mine was at the worst end of the spectrum, but not the toughest he'd done.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

having two guys is nice to have, but using the strap method to press the targa window down is the way to go (one man job)... but yeah, sh*t happens then you have to start over.

Quick Reply: Cowl Shake- replacement windshield at fault?