Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Protecting A Valuable Porsche 911 From Idiots

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 PM
thewriter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting A Valuable Porsche 911 From Idiots

I came back to the shop and found a round spot like a piece of glue on the top front fender of my 911.

I wondered how this happened.

I think people see a nice Porsche and like to do something to it, which makes me want to have a video camera on the car all the time, or something.

Do other Porsche owners have this problem? I really don't see leaving my black Turbo anywhere for very long, even in a shop where they are doing simple service work.

I have not had a 911 in 7 years, and this time I have a much more desirable 911 than before. Are there more idiots today?

What are the safeguards to protect a valuable 911?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 448 Likes on 290 Posts

It's really much easier than you might think, but takes a two phased approach. The first image is the interior of my garage. A simple laser security array. The second image is for my back-up, in case the first system fails.
Attached Images   
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 AM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't really had much of a problem with that. I try to not to worry too much about vandals, accidents, rain, snow, stone chips, etc. If I worried, I'd wind up parking it too often. As much as I like the car to look great, I won't make it a garage/trailer queen.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:27 AM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should clarify that it IS in a garage when not in use! :-)
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone messing with it sucks, try this one: Some vagrant looking un-showered dude starts heading toward my spyder informs me he's going to get in for a ride, he didn't get withing ten feet. I was totally prepared to run the red and deal with the aftermath, at the last minute it went green and I split. These cars attract all kinds, thankfully most are taking photos, admiring or dreaming but you do have to watch for the ones who want a hood badge or worse. Personally, I like to find outdoor cafes where I can burn a stoogie, have an ale and keep an eye on my car. There are not a ton of places like that where I live but there are enough to be choosy. The absolute worst is when someone decides you are just too spoiled by having the car and they take action. One drunk woman once quipped, "don't you think I'd like to drive a car like that"? Alcohol in excess is never good, I'm sober thinking, maybe you should have thought about that before you cranked out three kids, got divorced and then tried to raise them on a teacher's dime. For all these reasons, some peripheral friends don't even know I have it and I keep it on the DL as much as possible. Many people think we bought these cars to make a statement, speaking for myself I bought it for performance, seems like many on Rennlist members did too but you have to be a car nut to understand that.

Last edited by terbiumactivated; 11-12-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

I have had Porsches for about 20 years and never had a problem with that. A lot my depend on where you live and work tho.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

People are dumb no matter what you do you can't avoid the stupid. I do agree with above, people assume you got it for status and not for what it does on track and street. I consider myself younger so the commentary is always very colorful and down right ignorant. Enjoy it and try not to worry too much
Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 PM
65rsr
Track Day

Not much problem with it in Vermont.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tulliotk
I haven't really had much of a problem with that. I try to not to worry too much about vandals, accidents, rain, snow, stone chips, etc. If I worried, I'd wind up parking it too often. As much as I like the car to look great, I won't make it a garage/trailer queen.

Just clean out/off the gunk and motor on.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:19 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

65rsr, The only time that is ever going to see daylight is if my life is on the line, then it's on...
Old 11-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that blows. My 83 SC has a small dent right by the fuel door. I asked the PO about it, expecting him to say something like bicycle banged into in garage. He shrugged, "guess someone was mad at me." The guy was a hospice Dr. Who would be mad at him?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They are definitely cars that get noticed, whether you bought it for that or not. I've known people who've sold a p car to get something more 'under cover' because they can be such ******* magnets. On the other hand, it seems like the compliments and long looks are actually the norm.

http://gunsensevt.org/statistics/
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I think the older cars are recognized as such and don't generate the same jealous vitriol you see with new/newer P cars.
The only idiot I have to protect my car from is me....
Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

..and to be honest .. i dont consider my Porsche valuable .. worth less than the average GM ..
Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Ruby was keyed on a fender once-nice restaurant, valet parked.

Quick Reply: Protecting A Valuable Porsche 911 From Idiots