Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

M491 Value Add?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well congrats are very much in order , and we look forward to another addition to our 911 pics thread .

You are obviously an experienced 911 owner so there is nothing we can add other than the usual pics demand
Thanks! Will do. Don't let 'quantity' and 'wizened experience' get confused! I do love these old creatures, and am still wanting a 993 'S' or 'tt', have that budgeted. But the 3.2 cars are just fun old workhorses with their heart in the right place.

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congratulations Can't wait to see it after you pick it up.
Me neither! Thanks friend.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams
Who are you and why have you invaded my subconscious already!?!?

Yes, my wife says I do this merely to exorcise project demons, handing off a perfectly good car to someone with good financial forecasting and a sense of self-preservation.

It's an 85 model, silver with black sport seats ('Porsche' cloth lettering, whatever that's called). Goofy stereo was added - why do people who do this always want to sell me their cars? - but can be easily extracted as no cutting. Has spare, pump, but no tools. (HINT: I need a set of tools!).

Has a Fabspeed or some kind of aftermarket twin exit exhaust, actually sounds pretty darn good. Motor compartment is normal, which is to say weepy and unpleasant. I will have the motor extracted and hopefully I'll get to detail another one! Yay me! It is very healthy according to the long term tech who serviced the car (same guy services my stuff, knows I'm a freak about maintenance.)

Anyway, the car is just another vintage fun thing that could be driven and enjoyed again, very easily. The look from the rear was enough to make me pull out my wallet. Gosh that thing has got the freakin hips.

So, let the fun begin. Oh, no pics til I pick it up on Saturday!
The color combo sounds perfect. I do the same thing.... Buy a decent example, get it well sorted then pass it along to the next person. I'm about due for a coupe.... Hint... Hint

Can't wait to see pics!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM
bakerphoto
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and sounds like a great ride and am looking forward to pix but I'd also really like to hear and/or see some more about the bbi512. Feel free to to email.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bakerphoto
Congrats and sounds like a great ride and am looking forward to pix but I'd also really like to hear and/or see some more about the bbi512. Feel free to to email.
Not much to report, but that was 'the' car for me years ago, took a while to find it. Had it about 7 years.

I'm merely posting these to maintain the peace until I get the wide body home! The white Carrera was a couple summers ago, so included for posterity.
Attached Images     
Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 AM
TL-Register
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, just got the 'ok' from Norbert, making this my NCA! (Norbert Certificate of Authenticity).

congrats, and thanks for serving TL-R - hope to see your add soon on my site!

Norbert
Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adams,

Good to see you back in the game. Will you have another engine out thread?

BTW, the white car is doing great, a few new parts needed here and there, and I've removed the window tint, but basically it's been 8,000 quality miles since I've had it. Would be more but my back has been acting up lately and I can't take it on long trips.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Repo_Man
Adams,

Good to see you back in the game. Will you have another engine out thread?

BTW, the white car is doing great, a few new parts needed here and there, and I've removed the window tint, but basically it's been 8,000 quality miles since I've had it. Would be more but my back has been acting up lately and I can't take it on long trips.
Awesome to hear. Glad you're enjoying it! Yes, an engine out is due, so will probably justify me getting a lift in my little man zone to assist. I WON'T be turning the wrenches to pull the motor, but will just be called in for the fluff stuff, pretending that its hard work.

Hope your back gets better so you can spend more quality time in that ride!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adams

great batch of cars...you have great taste!

anyhow i miss my silver blk 930 and 308. if you ever want to sell this m491 please shoot me an email. i would love to have a silver blk one with a NA motor. much easier to flog on the track...

regards

pf
Old 11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by panzerfaust
adams

great batch of cars...you have great taste!

anyhow i miss my silver blk 930 and 308. if you ever want to sell this m491 please shoot me an email. i would love to have a silver blk one with a NA motor. much easier to flog on the track...

regards

pf
Thanks for the kind comment, from one insatiable car fanatic to another.

I will only sell you that car after I've way over-invested in time, money, and knuckle skin achieving the goal of my "long term ownership" that will be sidetracked the moment another car with a short skirt catches my attention.

I do have plans for this car though. And I'm getting more mature in my wishes for "settling down" on choices. But there's a chance I've said this before.

<As I re-read that, it sounds like I must've been married 42 times. Nope, one lady, all 28 years. She, as you might imagine, accepts my car chasing as preferable to other temptations.>
Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Okay, FINALLY back on my own selfish thread. We sold our 'in town' house of 16 years, plus a couple commercial buildings, moved to the lake house, paid off everybody. This has been a very busy couple months. Now it's fun time.

Wide body 3.2 is headed to Porsche dealer tomorrow morning to get the engine dropped. I actually drove it for the second time on this 45 mile drive. Car ran like a blooming champ except:

> Oil drips onto hot exhaust. At stop lights, my fellow motorists seem alarmed at smoke, plus
> My complete lack of concern. I'm doing 50 weight acid.
> My 915 box is either poorly adjusted or the shift rod is connected to overheated taffy.
> When I turn on the AC fan, a metallic chorus begins begging for bearing leniency
> The car still smells like a mildew experiment gone horribly wrong
> The tint lets in the same amount of light as say, a bowling ball

Plus about 82 other things I need to get done. They're going to separate the engine from body, put engine in back of my truck and deliver body to my little madhouse so I can can clean engine bay, take the interior out, clean stuff, de-dent things, develop my obsession further.

I'll post pictures of the car and my bank account slowly moving toward zero. But it'll be fun. I actually plan to drive this car. And watch out, I have just enough redneck in me to want to go 'anodized' petals on the Fuchs and may remove the turbo tail. Insanity runs in my family; in fact we flaunt it.

First off, I hope to get a couple good choices of shifters from RListers since I want the cleanest, most precise feel I can get. My 21 year old son is starting to make noises about learning to drive a manual better, so he 'might' get a chance with this car. (He loves the Cayman S.)

I can certainly be swayed to doing a full bush, spring, and readjustment of the 915 box, but any updated advice on shifters (have read the threads) would be great.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 AM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Subscribed!

I'm a bit of a widebody fan... the cab is a 1988 M491/M470 option car... the white 911 is a 1970 M491 RSR clone... and the bimmer is a carbon offset.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  110.7 KB
Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 AM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Well now that's embarrassing... my garage is defying gravity.

cag4
Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully this worked
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Indeed it did -- thanks A.L.!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Okay, FINALLY back on my own selfish thread. We sold our 'in town' house of 16 years, plus a couple commercial buildings, moved to the lake house, paid off everybody. This has been a very busy couple months. Now it's fun time.

Wide body 3.2 is headed to Porsche dealer tomorrow morning to get the engine dropped. I actually drove it for the second time on this 45 mile drive. Car ran like a blooming champ except:

> Oil drips onto hot exhaust. At stop lights, my fellow motorists seem alarmed at smoke, plus
> My complete lack of concern. I'm doing 50 weight acid.
> My 915 box is either poorly adjusted or the shift rod is connected to overheated taffy.
> When I turn on the AC fan, a metallic chorus begins begging for bearing leniency
> The car still smells like a mildew experiment gone horribly wrong
> The tint lets in the same amount of light as say, a bowling ball

Plus about 82 other things I need to get done. They're going to separate the engine from body, put engine in back of my truck and deliver body to my little madhouse so I can can clean engine bay, take the interior out, clean stuff, de-dent things, develop my obsession further.

I'll post pictures of the car and my bank account slowly moving toward zero. But it'll be fun. I actually plan to drive this car. And watch out, I have just enough redneck in me to want to go 'anodized' petals on the Fuchs and may remove the turbo tail. Insanity runs in my family; in fact we flaunt it.

First off, I hope to get a couple good choices of shifters from RListers since I want the cleanest, most precise feel I can get. My 21 year old son is starting to make noises about learning to drive a manual better, so he 'might' get a chance with this car. (He loves the Cayman S.)

I can certainly be swayed to doing a full bush, spring, and readjustment of the 915 box, but any updated advice on shifters (have read the threads) would be great.
Let your freak flag fly and post the progress!

Quick Reply: M491 Value Add?