Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Purchasing advice, 911SC or Carrera 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

It's a plastic box for a 30+ year old car that is still being produced....Porsches are really low production vehicles in the scope of vehicle makes and the return for keeping parts available is more per unit cost.

The year my SC was made there were 2599 Coupes, 1430 Targa's and 1718 Cabriolets made for the US market.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,162 Likes on 833 Posts

Thanks Pete ..

Kind of my Hobby when i need to do work
Old 10-23-2013, 05:08 PM
duncan1437
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
Find a Euro SC if you don't have to deal with emissions (I don't in AZ) and you'll start with 204 HP rather than the 180.
good summary of various vehicle inspection requirements (including emissions) in the different US states

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle..._United_States
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Default Going for PPI on the 1982 SC.

Did my inspection, found minor oil leak that the current owner has been living with, odometer has stopped working (at 125K), and paper work proves the current mileage. Drove it again, no smoke in tail pipe, no rattles, no rust and handles like nobody's business in curves. Considering this is a 29 yr old car I am impressed. Of course I am new to Porsche 911's.

Not sure why the gear shift is being criticized on SC models, since I didn't have any trouble at all. Granted it is not a modern transmission, but I almost believed one has to learn some special technique to change gears based on some articles I have read. If PPI checks out I believe I will be the owner of this 911 SC.

Now I have to get educated on how to maintain in the cold NE during winter which is around the corner....
Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Allmost time to park it anyway. Mine is going away in about a week. You have the whole winter to study.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theiceman
Allmost time to park it anyway. Mine is going away in about a week. You have the whole winter to study.
I am planning on driving in winter. Not daily of course, and depending on road/weather conditions. Just have to bundle up when I do. First things first, have to close the deal.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kkothand
Did my inspection, found minor oil leak that the current owner has been living with, odometer has stopped working (at 125K), and paper work proves the current mileage. Drove it again, no smoke in tail pipe, no rattles, no rust and handles like nobody's business in curves. Considering this is a 29 yr old car I am impressed. Of course I am new to Porsche 911's.

Not sure why the gear shift is being criticized on SC models, since I didn't have any trouble at all. Granted it is not a modern transmission, but I almost believed one has to learn some special technique to change gears based on some articles I have read. If PPI checks out I believe I will be the owner of this 911 SC.

Now I have to get educated on how to maintain in the cold NE during winter which is around the corner....
Sounds like a nice car...the 915 'issues' are mostly due to worn out box's...if it's in good nick you just 'place not shove' it in gear and go.
Most of the techniques guys chat about are actually to get in in gear quickly (quicker) and cleanly.
I love my SC, went for a short drive yesterday and 150 miles latter got back to the house.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:07 PM
dwcann
1st Gear

Just bought a 1983 911 SC with 31,000 original miles in pristine "stock" condition and still had the original Parrelli Tires on the 16-inchers. I did, however, pay a premium for the low mileage. I also looked at a same-year car (same color, too!) with only 56K on the meter. Just proves, they are out there. Took me most of a year to find the one I bought.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:43 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Care to share the price, or at least the asking price of the one you passed on?
Congratulations btw!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
kkothand
Intermediate

Default VIN number question

Originally Posted by Reiver
Sounds like a nice car...the 915 'issues' are mostly due to worn out box's...if it's in good nick you just 'place not shove' it in gear and go.
Most of the techniques guys chat about are actually to get in in gear quickly (quicker) and cleanly.
I love my SC, went for a short drive yesterday and 150 miles latter got back to the house.
I completed the PPI, and no surprises. Some peeling underneath (on the trunk side) which has been exposed to the elements. However I have a concern about the VIN numbers if someone can address. They are different in the door jamb and the one stamped on the metal in the trunk (under the covering). They are identical except there is a ZZZ (4-6th), then a Z (9th place) instead of AAO, and a 0 as in the VIN on the door jamb. Should I worry?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I am planning on driving in winter. Not daily of course, and depending on road/weather conditions. Just have to bundle up when I do. First things first, have to close the deal.
That is actually awesome , i used to do that too ..

I found however the combination of hard tires , hard suspension , weak defogging and virtually no defrosting , not to mention balking shifter at sub zero temps... and my aging bones .. conviced me to park it and take a more cushy car

I will admit though there is not a better feeling than driving around with no roof in Targa with your touque and gloves on heater blasting ..
Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I completed the PPI, and no surprises. Some peeling underneath (on the trunk side) which has been exposed to the elements. However I have a concern about the VIN numbers if someone can address. They are different in the door jamb and the one stamped on the metal in the trunk (under the covering). They are identical except there is a ZZZ (4-6th), then a Z (9th place) instead of AAO, and a 0 as in the VIN on the door jamb. Should I worry?
That's OK, At one point in time Porsche began to stamp all tubs with consecutive VINs. Those stampings were not changed when a car was designated to be something other than a Euro model. The "real" VIN for USA & Canada appears on the door post sticker and the A-pillar plate.

Sorry, I can't remember when the ZZZ system on all cars began (with the start of 17-digit VINs?), but my '82 SC is production #0422, and it shows ZZZ on the trunk stamping.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theiceman
That is actually awesome , i used to do that too ..

I found however the combination of hard tires , hard suspension , weak defogging and virtually no defrosting , not to mention balking shifter at sub zero temps... and my aging bones .. conviced me to park it and take a more cushy car

I will admit though there is not a better feeling than driving around with no roof in Targa with your touque and gloves on heater blasting ..
Hmm... I have to consider all the points you noted, since there is no heat in a 911SC at least not for the 1st hour or so (?).
Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

the heat is pretty good, except it melts your shoes before your knees get warm
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM
kkothand
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
That's OK, At one point in time Porsche began to stamp all tubs with consecutive VINs. Those stampings were not changed when a car was designated to be something other than a Euro model. The "real" VIN for USA & Canada appears on the door post sticker and the A-pillar plate.

Sorry, I can't remember when the ZZZ system on all cars began (with the start of 17-digit VINs?), but my '82 SC is production #0422, and it shows ZZZ on the trunk stamping.
Thanks peter. I also found that it is common to use the ZZZ nos. in production, when they have not yet decided which market the car is going to go; once it is know (U.S. in this case) use the "real" no., so each car indeed has a unique no., and the last nos. are identical. It is good to have confirmation for someone who is a newbie like me.

Quick Reply: Purchasing advice, 911SC or Carrera 3.0L