Purchasing advice, 911SC or Carrera 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck
Holy crap.

$1200 for a plastic air box? Like the air filter housing!?!
$800 for a MAF? They are like $150 for other cars.

Holy crap.
PML, you have not been paying attention friend. Just go to the Pelican parts dept. and look around.
BTW, I have not bought any of that stuff except where I wanted to upgrade....that is worse case scenario....or just get on with it and by a Miata.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap.

$1200 for a plastic air box? Like the air filter housing!?!
$800 for a MAF? They are like $150 for other cars.

Holy crap.
Remember, that plastic air box is actually the central part of the intake manifold, and provides mounting surfaces for most of the crucial CIS parts (sensor plate housing, fuel distributor, throttle body, intake runners, cold start injector, etc.). Replacement is pretty much labor intensive, because on SCs the job should be done using a partial engine drop, or an engine out.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Peter.
I'd venture to say yours was one of the most informative, concise and clearest summaries I've seen on either of these porsche forums. Well done.

PML. These are 25/35 year old performance sports cars made by Germans. Any car that age is going to cost you money. Any car.
When they're German, they cost more. That's about it.

Don't over complicate it. It will all become clear about the second hour, day, week or month of ownership. You'll be zipping around town, smiling, wondering why it took you so long to get around to drive an air cooled Porsche every day.

I'm never living without one again. Life is too short.

Nick
Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 AM
zenspector
Advanced

Fifteen years ago I bought a 1979 911SC with 53,000 miles. Although I had owned a 356C years before, I was a total novice to the 911s. The car was all original, solid, and in great shape. I have had very few issues.
I still own the car. There is nothing quite like the simplicity and nimble handling of those classics.
The head bolts (2) did break, and I started to have it rebuilt and modified a little, but then decided to find a 3.2 engine out of a wrecked Carrera.
It seemed to make a lot of sense, since it would bolt right in, and it had (to name a few things) electronic fuel injection (relieving the air box problem), a better A/C compressor, and a much better torque range. Luckily, I found an '87 model with 400 more miles than the car. It has been bomb proof. It also makes that nimble little SC more of a blast to drive.
I kept the 3.0 engine and rebuilt it myself, a good exercise in knowledge of things Porsche, then crated it up and stored it away.
Long story short, I would probably buy the Carrera, but there is something in the nimbleness of the SCs and earlier Porsches that's been lost as the cars have progressed.
Good luck in your search.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by zenspector
Fifteen years ago I bought a 1979 911SC with 53,000 miles. Although I had owned a 356C years before, I was a total novice to the 911s. The car was all original, solid, and in great shape. I have had avery few issues.
I still own the car. There is nothing quite like the simplicity and nimble handling of those classics.
The head bolts (2) did break, and I started to have it rebuilt and modified a little, but then decided to find a 3.2 engine out of a wrecked Carrera.
It seemed to make a lot of sense, since it would bolt right in, and it had (to name a few things) electronic fuel injection (relieving the air box problem), a better A/C compressor, and a much better torque range. Luckily, I found an '87 model with 400 more miles than the car. It has been bomb proof. It also makes that nimble little SC more of a blast to drive.
I kept the 3.0 engine and rebuilt it myself, a good exercise in knowledge of things Porsche, then crated it up and stored it away.
Long story short, I would probably buy the Carrera, but there is something in the nimbleness of the SCs and earlier Porsches that's been lost as the cars have progressed.
Good luck in your search.
Hmmm... an SC with a 3.2 Carrera engine. That sounds like an ideal combo. Now if I can just find one in good condition...
Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 AM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Remember, that plastic air box is actually the central part of the intake manifold, and provides mounting surfaces for most of the crucial CIS parts (sensor plate housing, fuel distributor, throttle body, intake runners, cold start injector, etc.). Replacement is pretty much labor intensive, because on SCs the job should be done using a partial engine drop, or an engine out.
Ahh, your prices were including labor!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM
David Schacht
Instructor

I am in the process of closing the deal on an SC Coupe, PPI to be done today. I opted for the SC because of the lower weight compared to the 84-89 cars.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
yup ...

if you're only paying 1200 for this you are doing well..

Last edited by theiceman; 02-05-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM
kkothand
Intermediate

Smile Thank you, thank you..everyone.

Wow, a wealth of information here. I may have unwittingly started an interesting conversation caused by a simple type, the 1984 is NOT a Carrera 3.0L but a 3.2 L 911. However, the responses and discussions have been educational and informative especially on the 911SC. Now I know a lot more than a few days ago about this model 911. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 AM
kkothand
Intermediate

I do want to mention that the 911SC has had the following "upgrades", if one can use the term on a 27 yr old car.
- Carrera chain tensioners
- Have B&B stainless exhaust
- Tierods upgraded to turbo tierods
- Stiffer torsion bars added
- Turbo steering wheel added
- RS Door panels
- Pop-off valve added

Plus the 3.2L is no longer in the market and is gone . I am seriously considering the SC as my first 911 Porsche now. After all I did love the way it drove, even though I probably didn't drive it like it should be...
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahh, your prices were including labor!
Yes! Airbox replacement can be daunting to many, there are a number of things to take care of during replacement (sensor plate height adjustment, injector o-rings, throttle lever bushings, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning...), and when you're all done you should be schooled in system set-up. I've always used an exhaust analyzer to do final tuning, so you must have access to a calibrated CO% machine to do that (tuning is mandatory following this job). Also, it never hurts to check system numbers, like "ice" did in another current thread, to be sure that you know why the box failed.

Originally Posted by theiceman
yup ...

if you're only paying 1200 for this you are doing well..

You, sir, are of a rare breed. Your attention to detail would have made me proud to have you as a technician in my shop.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
zenspector
Advanced

Go for the SC. You will love it.
In an earlier post I suggested the Carrera, but I take that back. To me, a good SC is the perfect first 911.
I thought about selling mine once, but good sense prevailed. It is a permanent and prominent family member.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 PM
pro325
AutoX

Either one, buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face...
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Find a Euro SC if you don't have to deal with emissions (I don't in AZ) and you'll start with 204 HP rather than the 180...add some SSI"s and your about the HP of a stock early 3.2.
Then 'add' more lightness....my '83 SC is now 2400 lbs with a tank of gas....have no idea what a wet 3.2 weighs stock. It is fun to drive.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 PM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reiver
PML, you have not been paying attention friend. Just go to the Pelican parts dept. and look around.
BTW, I have not bought any of that stuff except where I wanted to upgrade....that is worse case scenario....or just get on with it and by a Miata.
Wow, it's still $500 just for a plastic box.
That still seems crazy but I guess it's more than just a plastic box.

Quick Reply: Purchasing advice, 911SC or Carrera 3.0L