Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1985 Targa valuation question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013 | 04:05 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 1985 Targa valuation question

Sorry to post this type of thread, but I am looking for a quick and reliable answer, and I know there are many people here that follow this market closely.

I have a good friend that is very ill, and he would like me to sell his car.

1985 Carrera Targa
Black
60k miles
unmolested/unrestored
all original
not sure what options were available in 1985, but this car seems to have all of them including:
heated original sport seats and full leather.
Gold "Carrera" script decals on sides
Rear Spolier
Original Fuchs wheels
paint and interior are both 9+/10
I believe he is 3rd owner and he has owned it for 25+ yrs.
All service records avail.
maintained by wright tuning in Cincinnati, OH

Personally, I do not want him to sell this car, but his situation dictates that it must go.

Would appreciate an honest assessment of fair market value.
This is NOT a for sale ad, please do not ask for pictures. There are several people interested, just need a valuation.

Thanks for any and all help,
Dan.
Old 10-19-2013 | 05:25 PM
pmarnell
8th Gear

Sorry to hear about your friend. At least the car could go to someone that would care for it.

I just bought an '89 Targa Guards Red w cork interior. 38K miles, new top, 30K service just done, new tires, partial leather, limited slip differential, whale tale for 28K. However, the mechanic that did the PPI offered me 34K. Which means he was going to sell for 36K.

Hagerty's insurance is a good source for a fair valuation. They have condition 1 3.2 911's appreciating at about 10%.

I'd say given the situation a fair price would be right around 30K.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2013 | 12:35 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks...anyone else agree or disagree with this?
Old 10-20-2013 | 04:36 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Hagerty has a cond 2 85 targa at $32.3k, cond 1 is $46.2k. Like everyone else, I'm thinking the early air cooled cars with low miles and in original condition will only go up. If your friend can wait until spring 2014, he'll probably be able to get more for his car.
Old 10-20-2013 | 01:20 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that. Most likely scenario for now is that I will buy it, as it will forever have great sentimental (and real) value to me. If I cannot swing the purchase, I will be offering it to Rennlist first as it deserves to be loved by an enthusiast.
Old 10-20-2013 | 07:30 PM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

$30k seems too high.
I just saw a local '86 Targa with 80k miles selll for about $20k.
My guess is $20k to $24k
Old 10-21-2013 | 06:27 AM
HorstP
Instructor

PML, what makes you qualified to say it is too high. You never owned a Porsche and saying that you looked at one which is cheaper is of exactly what value?
Old 10-21-2013 | 10:00 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

$30 is a fair price for an excellent original 911 as you describe, valuation is all in the details.
Phil
Old 10-21-2013 | 10:23 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck
$30k seems too high.
I just saw a local '86 Targa with 80k miles selll for about $20k.
My guess is $20k to $24k
I agree with PML
I personally think mid 20's is about right. I sold my near perfect cab for low 20's just 1 year ago and the fact that prices have skyrocketed since then is a sign we are bubbling due to unprecedented monetary policy rather than a sustainable trend. This current environment reminds me of a conversation with a guy in Florida back in mid 2008.....he was buying as many houses as he could because it was a 'no lose' situation.....well, we know how that ended. Amazing to me how people love to chase bubbles.
Old 10-21-2013 | 10:40 AM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shannon123
I agree with PML
I personally think mid 20's is about right. I sold my near perfect cab for low 20's just 1 year ago and the fact that prices have skyrocketed since then is a sign we are bubbling due to unprecedented monetary policy rather than a sustainable trend. This current environment reminds me of a conversation with a guy in Florida back in mid 2008.....he was buying as many houses as he could because it was a 'no lose' situation.....well, we know how that ended. Amazing to me how people love to chase bubbles.
No clue what you are on about...just looking for fair market value as it exists at this moment in time, not 1 year ago, not 1 year in the future...
Old 10-21-2013 | 10:55 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
No clue what you are on about...just looking for fair market value as it exists at this moment in time, not 1 year ago, not 1 year in the future...
As I said in my post.....mid 20's max I would think TODAY.

You want a REAL market opinion ? List it on EBAY as an auction with a reserve you know will not be reached. Let the bidding tell you where the market is, run it a couple times just to be sure you had adequate exposure........the costs will be inconsequential and you and your friend will have a price that was set by buyers rather than owner/enthusiast.
Old 10-21-2013 | 12:05 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Shannon...I am looking for both perspectives, buyers and sellers. Pretty sure they both determine the market. Since I have not owned a 3.2 Carrera for about 12 years (89 coupe and 85 cab) and my friend has had this car basically forever, he and I have not looked at any market trends or current values. And there do not seem to be enough of them on the market to determine values without asking opinions.

Thanks for all the opinions, I appreciate all of them.
Old 10-21-2013 | 03:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

This whole thread seems strange

this is not a for sale add ...

I will buy the car myself .....

if i dont I will sell it to you guys ....

Kind of weird ..
Old 10-21-2013 | 05:13 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
This whole thread seems strange

this is not a for sale add ...

I will buy the car myself .....

if i dont I will sell it to you guys ....

Kind of weird ..
Totally agree...
Old 10-21-2013 | 05:24 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure what is so weird...I guess honesty is hard to interpret.
This posting is not a for sale ad: This means that I do not want people pm-ing me for pictures, details, etc. As the car is not yet for sale.
I will buy the car myself: This means if I can get a fair market evaluation that is within my budget, then I will purchase this car from my sick friend, and still be able to give him fair market, which he deserves.
If I don't, I will sell it to you guys: This means that if the fair market value is above my means at the current time, then I will be offering it to Rennlist first through the classifieds.

Clear now?

Dan.

Quick Reply: 1985 Targa valuation question