Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Smiling !

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Smiling !

Seems crazy to report this, but I FINALLY was able to take my 84 911 for a nice fall foliage run with my wife. That, as it turns out, was important. I bought this car in August and have driven it a few short trips, but nothing of substance. We decided to travel south to Univ of New Hamp to see our daughter. Back roads one way, Route 1 north the other. The car ran extremely well, and the trip helped me sort out the 915 transmission. Takes practice, but once you get it, its not that bad a tranny at all. Anyway, this car is flat out awesome to drive and best part is that my wife really enjoys it as well. I've owned many collector cars, all types, but never a Porsche. She loves it. No looking back, that's for sure. Just a great road car. These posts all make a lot more sense now!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Glad you had a good P event.
On that tranny (if not done)...externally change all of the plastic up front...shift coupler cup and rod support sleeve. Coupler re shimmed adjusted.
Check your clutch cable for stretch/adjustment...and your clutch pedal arm for being out of round at the clevis pin.
Very slight issues at any of these points can combine to make things out of tolerance.
I like the 915 as it takes some 'concentration' to do just right....makes driving more involved/fun.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd say the 915 is a lot better than "not bad at all". There were only 10's of thousands of them in one of the best cars ever built.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the perfect way to spend your Sunday
Old 10-14-2013, 09:24 AM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree, "not bad at all" is a bit underwhelming. I hear and read so much about the G50 vs the 915, that I have become a little bit too sensitized to it, I guess. It certainly takes some skill and some thought, but all in all a very nice transmission that works well with the 3.2 IMO. Thanks for the tip on the shift linkage adjustments and the mechanicals. I do have some of those components collected and will do that work in the spring.

I did end up chatting briefly with a 993 owner that I encountered that day and gave some thought to swapping cars for a brief ride. Too busy and too late to pull it off. Too bad, would love to drive one.

Quick Reply: Smiling !