Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Post 1999 911's versus 1994 and older 911s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I appreciate the kind words.

The Porsche that I most regret selling was my second RS America. White, no sunroof, A/C and LSD only. The only mod was a Fabspeed exhaust. I was made one of those "offers you can't refuse" when the market was at it's peak and foolishly let it go. The 993 that replaced it was OK but it was more "lux" than "sport".
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my first air cooled Porsche in 1971. I was young and dangerous in that thing. Inexperienced and stupid, yes, but man, I fell in love for life. These were the raw cars of the 60's, much like the dumb, over the top muscle cars back then, just the sports car version. I fell in love with one of those muscle cars too, and recently bought and sold one after driving it for 7 odd years. I did it because it was fun, and BTW, drove it net net for free after selling it at a small profit!

Car manufacturers have moved on because they are supposed to. Technology and the marketplace demands it of them. Nothing is like it was back then, and neither are we. If you want the old experience, then you buy and drive a classic, or what you consider a classic. Many of us do.

I have a 997 Turbo and and 89 911. Comparisons? Um, none, except maybe the badge. Which is more fun to drive? Clearly the 89. Which requires more maintenance? You guess! It smells, it smokes sometimes, it creaks now and then but it is what I want today, because I fell in love yesterday.

Porsche isn't making yesterdays cars anymore. Are they making future classics? I believe time will tell, but clearly the GT2 and GT3RS are good candidates. As far as the PDK is concerned....time marches on, along with technology. But until you drive one, as I did last year, prepare to be very impressed.

I say, go buy that 930 or '96 Turbo. You'll never regret it, and probably won't lose any money in the deal.

Nick

Quick Reply: Post 1999 911's versus 1994 and older 911s