Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 PM
pauldavidanthony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine advice

Without going into details, I am gearing up to start a 1971 911T that has been idle for 6+ years. Just wondering if anyone has some advice regarding any sort of prep I might want to consider before I give it a try. I probably wont be ready to turn it over for another week or two at the earliest.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 AM
sparkplug93
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you allready know this, but you probably want to change the oil then, to lubricate the cylinders and everything else, (If it were me) I would turn the engine over just using like a socket and breaker bar or something of the sort. Pull the pluigs too for a couple of reasons one to replace the plugs, and two you could put a dab of oil in the cylinder to maybe help with piston lubrication. This is just things I've heard about when starting an engine that has been sitting a while, not necessarily for a aircooled Porsche motor but any engine in general. So these are general statements and suggestions, theres a lot more things you should do but it's a start. Also I'm not responsible for what you do with your engine obviously, but these are just some suggestions of things that I would do if I were starting an engine that's been sitting a while. I hope someone else can fill in the many steps and processes that you should do, that I didn't include.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,104 Likes on 789 Posts

I am no expert but here is what i would do ..

Drain the gas .. change the oil .. remove plugs and turn engine over by hand ( which will be easy as there is no compresion )

Inspect under areas for critters nests including air filter area, heat exchangers and through the fan under the shroud.

make sure the points are clean and move well if the car has them

Put fresh gas in fuel filter and start fuel pump without starting engine and disconnect fuel line at engine to make sure lines are flushed with fresh gas.

Reconnect fuel lines, put fresh plugs in

Fire her up .
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I am no expert but here is what i would do ..

Drain the gas .. change the oil .. remove plugs and turn engine over by hand ( which will be easy as there is no compresion )

Inspect under areas for critters nests including air filter area, heat exchangers and through the fan under the shroud.

make sure the points are clean and move well if the car has them

Put fresh gas in fuel filter and start fuel pump without starting engine and disconnect fuel line at engine to make sure lines are flushed with fresh gas.

Reconnect fuel lines, put fresh plugs in

Fire her up .
And then make sure the goo that has now dissolved into the fuel, depositing itself on the intake valves, doesn't lock them into position once it solidifies upon stopping the engine and it cooling down.

First time that happened to me, circa 30 years ago, was a nice customer who decided to rebuild a long time sitter himself. I got the "fix it" later in replacing the complete fuel system + pulling the top end down again to replace a few bent intake valves.

Quick Reply: Engine advice