Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Garage Overhaul - ready for a 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:31 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 173 Posts

A few quick pics of the KEF speaker install:
I have the sub hidden in the left corner behind the cabinet.
After several hours of tweaking (very difficult to perfect the sound setup in a garage) it is sounding really good. I'm using a Denon AVRX3000 connected to a GB Ethernet network being fed straight from my iTunes library.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

And a few more, including some of the floor for those who were asking how the floor is holding up after 2 years. Just finished cleaning it, so it's still wet in places

Old 02-15-2015, 12:05 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
And a few more, including some of the floor for those who were asking how the floor is holding up after 2 years. Just finished cleaning it, so it's still wet in places

Only thing missing is a lift.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:28 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill tell you one thing, it wont stay this clean after youve acquired an aircooled 911 heheh

beautiful garage
Old 02-21-2015, 04:05 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amdevo
ill tell you one thing, it wont stay this clean after youve acquired an aircooled 911 heheh beautiful garage
Thanks Amdevo. I guess that's what I was afraid of, so I just picked up a 997.2 C2 last week. Pics to follow soon.

Now the garage feels 'complete'
Old 02-21-2015, 04:28 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by amdevo
ill tell you one thing, it wont stay this clean after youve acquired an aircooled 911 heheh

beautiful garage
It might.

Although, to be honest, this is what it looked like yesterday.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:02 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
It might. Although, to be honest, this is what it looked like yesterday.
Jack, that is a great lift you have. Would you mind sharing the brand/model info?
I really like the fact that it can disappear when not in use.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks. I don't mean to step on your thread in any way. And it's tricky to recommend exactly what I did, since the thing I used (a Vestil hydraulic table lift) would normally be more expensive (and less versatile) than an in-ground scissors lift designed for automotive use.

But I found mine second-hand for very little money -- $455, and installed it myself, and made it work so that this:

Would turn into this, when it wasn't in use:

Which means there's nothing to trip on, or open a car door into -- and it also functions as a sturdy adjustable-height workbench or a great way to load heavy stuff into my Jeep.

It's been perfect for my 911 -- really a no-compromise solution for less than the cost of a top-of-the-line floor jack. And I use it a LOT more than I ever expected to. (Full disclosure: it's less-than-perfect for my other cars -- although it works.)
Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to ask a garage related question but there is no freaking way in Hell that I'm posting a pic now....
Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Thanks. I don't mean to step on your thread in any way. And it's tricky to recommend exactly what I did, since the thing I used (a Vestil hydraulic table lift) would normally be more expensive (and less versatile) than an in-ground scissors lift designed for automotive use.

But I found mine second-hand for very little money -- $455, and installed it myself, and made it work so that this:

Would turn into this, when it wasn't in use:

Which means there's nothing to trip on, or open a car door into -- and it also functions as a sturdy adjustable-height workbench or a great way to load heavy stuff into my Jeep.

It's been perfect for my 911 -- really a no-compromise solution for less than the cost of a top-of-the-line floor jack. And I use it a LOT more than I ever expected to. (Full disclosure: it's less-than-perfect for my other cars -- although it works.)
Thanks Jack - that is very interesting. I would definitely like to put a lift in, and really prefer the concealed type like you have. I guess that's the next research project for me. I would assume (hopefully) that such a lift can be installed without compromising the integrity of the remaining slab. Did you have any such issues?

Originally Posted by rusnak
I want to ask a garage related question but there is no freaking way in Hell that I'm posting a pic now....
Rusnak just look at pg.1 of this thread and you'll see that things started out pretty ugly

EDIT _ Just realized that the ugly pics were over in the Garage Journal thread showing the whole process:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=181620

Last edited by EMC2; 02-22-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:38 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

I finally added a 911 to the family. (I found a great, well optioned '09, 997.2 Carrera PDK)

Completed the full BlackFire detailing treatment
1. Clay
2. SRC Compound
3. Gloss Enhancing Polish
4. Wet Diamond Sealer
5. Midnight Sun Carnauba
6. Crystal Seal
7. Sleep very well

Wheels (being painted black with polished lip) and spacers will be done this week. Followed by TechArt springs with new Bilstein B6's, and Sharkwerks center bypass hopefully done by end of next week.

A few pics in the interim as right now driving is high on the agenda

Absolutely loving the car. Thanks for all the advice on various options around the forum

Old 02-22-2015, 10:20 PM
rs73ca
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am impressed.......beautiful job on the garage.

Those KEFs are interesting....my audio system is a couple of 60s Advent speakers very well tweaked over the years. Great American Sound Granson Amp. Preamp is Chinese circuit board and a PS I built and a great little case. I feed it with my high end DAC and a dedicated file server.
Not as pretty as yours....but works great.

You need that air-cooled Porsche in there!!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:58 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 255 Posts

WTH, since it is a garage thread I'll throw myself to the wolves. Mine is an average two car attached garage where I recently completed an overhaul. This space is mostly "function" based - a few nods to beautification but nothing like the OP's excellent car palace. But, like Jack, I do a lot of hardcore work in this little space. Engine rebuilds, alignments and more. All for the fun of it

Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rs73ca
I am impressed.......beautiful job on the garage.

Those KEFs are interesting....my audio system is a couple of 60s Advent speakers very well tweaked over the years. Great American Sound Granson Amp. Preamp is Chinese circuit board and a PS I built and a great little case. I feed it with my high end DAC and a dedicated file server.
Not as pretty as yours....but works great.

You need that air-cooled Porsche in there!!
Thanks - sounds like you have a great setup there also. I always feel that whatever system you install you need to be prepared to invest a good amount of time tuning/tweaking, to get the most out of it. I am thoroughly impressed with the Kef's and the level of audio detail they produce.

Originally Posted by cbracerx
WTH, since it is a garage thread I'll throw myself to the wolves. Mine is an average two car attached garage where I recently completed an overhaul. This space is mostly "function" based - a few nods to beautification but nothing like the OP's excellent car palace. But, like Jack, I do a lot of hardcore work in this little space. Engine rebuilds, alignments and more. All for the fun of it

That looks like a really great working garage and of course on the car selection.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:34 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Added the spacers today (5mm front and 8mm rear), and got back the repainted wheels.
Now just need to do the springs/shocks, and bypass. The wheels came out amazing.

If anyone in the Atlanta area ever needs someone for wheels feel free to PM me and I'll pass over the contact details.

Quick Reply: Porsche Garage Overhaul - ready for a 911