Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can a '85 drive like a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:27 PM
gti2kids
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a '85 drive like a new car?

I've just started semi-seriously for a 3.2 Carrera or 930. Sorry for the nubie questions.

I just test drove a 85 targa today -- 155,000 miles, asking for $20K in San Jose, CA.

The paint looked good. Engine started right up, no smoke. Idle wasn't too bad (to my untrained ears). So I was excited to drive it.

However, as soon as I started driving the car, it felt like a moving death trap. Everything was shaking and rattling. The were lots of twists in the body. -- Are coupes better in terms of body rigidity compared to targas?

A lot of the rattling probably came from the whale tail. I could shake it (along with the engine cover) by my hands easily when the car was parked. Is this a known weakness of the whale tails?

The brakes were non-existent. I was so glad that I didn't kill anyone during the test drive.

It was very hard to get into 3rd and 4th, but 1st and 2nd were comparatively better. I actually managed to shift into 1st, by mistake, while the car was moving. So maybe the synchros weren't too bad after all? Maybe I am just not familiar with the shifting positions?

I drove another 88 targa before, and that one was a lot better, but still felt like a very old car.

Anyway, if I were to spend more (either upfront, or fix the car after buying it), would it be possible to have a car that drives like a new(er) car? Ideally I want it to drive like my 08 Cayman S (+ oversteering, - power). Or, am I just asking for too much from a 28 year old car?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome!

Sounds like you can find a much better example. My car doesn't rattle, corners fairly flat, and my whale tail certainly doesn't shake. My brakes are strong and have good feel, and while the gearbox has it's "quirks" it is truly a pleasure to drive. Having said that, I don't think it will ever drive like a Cayman S. I don't say this in a bad way, I say it because the Cayman S is a modern car with modern creature comforts, and the 3.2 is a raw, drivers car... or "analogue" as some may put it.

I daily drove my 3.2 last year (25,000km in about 5 months) and loved it. AC didn't work very well so I removed it, and on hot days I learned to bring an extra shirt with me wherever I was going. In heavy traffic it can be annoying as I can only go into first when stopped (no synchro left). Other than that though, the car is very comfortable, quiet enough when just cruising, and nothing else can bring a smile to my face like it does. It has enough performance to get my adrenaline pumping, and there is certainly no other car that connects the driver to the road like a 911 does. There is enough room with the back seats down in "shelf mode" for 2 sets of golf clubs, and the car is incredibly reliable. In fact, this summer (having now bought a daily driver/winter beater) I have spent more money on maintenance for my '99 Jetta than I have on the 911... and I've driven the 911 more, and it has higher mileage!

In summary, the 3.2 is an incredible car that I couldn't imagine living without. It won't ever drive like a Cayman does, and I like that.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You aren't asking too much at all. Mine is an '88 manual-cabriolet that is super tight with zero rattle and no noticeable flex.

The no brakes issue may have been anything from bad brake fluid to loose front wheel bearings.

There are good cars out there, cars worth compromising on, and cars that you should just run from as fast as possible. You may have driven the latter. I looked at dozens like that.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a 2008 Cayman and a 1988 911 Cab. My 911 exhibits none of the reports from your drive in the 911. Everything works perfectly and is very tight. I have been daily driving it since 2006 averaging over 9000 miles per year. I have put in a full Griffith's A/C in and that makes a world of difference in places like Florida, Texas, and Hawaii where I have lived with it.

When I drive the Cayman and the 911 back to back, the Cayman is clearly a finer car in every technical aspect. Hard to compete with 20 years of advances in technology as well as an engine in the middle.

Which car do I prefer? Hands down, the 911 has the "soul" that is missing from modern cars, even modern Porsches. There is just something about it. I've always wanted to buy a new 911 Turbo someday. Now with no manual transmission option in the Turbos, that is not going to happen.

Bottom line, you came across a dud, keep looking. A good strategy is to go online and find the PCA Region monthly newsletters for their classifieds. You will typically find better cars as well as a network of folks who can link you up with the right folks. You can also e-mail or call the local PCA Region presidents as most know what good cars are up for sale wither publicly or privately.

Good luck! Don't settle.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I've owned 2 200k + mile 911's and both drove flawlessly, no rattles, no issues. They are not modern cars bit they are well built and drive well if properly maintained.
Phil
Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't add much more than to say I've had customers who've turned 40-50K mile, 3 year old 911s of this era into complete POS, and what were then 15-20 year old models with 150-200-250K miles that were perfectly fine.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

a 30 year old car will never drive like a brand new car from today. the advances in technology and design ar just too great. that doesn't mean you wont find a car to fall in love with and enjoy driving.
keep up the hunt.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, a 1985 Carrera can drive like a new...'85 Carrera. Yes, an '88 Carrera can drive like a new...'88 Carrera.

My '82 SC coupe has 205K miles, no rattles, no squeaks, great brakes, good power, deliciously smooth. Just like a "new" 1982 SC.

Remember, when you drive a 30-year-old car, wear your oldest jeans, a faded T-shirt and worn tennis shoes. In other words, get into a proper mindset. And keep looking, there are a lot of crappy, semi-worn out cars with issues out there.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

If you maintain it, change out wear items in a timely fashion, yes. My '83 feels 'new' in an older car way. Tight steering that tracks straight and is uber responsive. Great brakes, no shakes, rattles or rolls.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Yes, a 1985 Carrera can drive like a new...'85 Carrera. Yes, an '88 Carrera can drive like a new...'88 Carrera.

My '82 SC coupe has 205K miles, no rattles, no squeaks, great brakes, good power, deliciously smooth. Just like a "new" 1982 SC.

Remember, when you drive a 30-year-old car, wear your oldest jeans, a faded T-shirt and worn tennis shoes. In other words, get into a proper mindset. And keep looking, there are a lot of crappy, semi-worn out cars with issues out there.
my issue is the car is fine, but the owner is semi worn out
Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make an annual trip of around 2K miles in 4 days, and I feel this is a good way to compare new rental cars to my '84 911. The newer cars are plush and smooth, quiet, have a lot of neat lights and stuff. Newer cars are all about soft edges, fluffy tires, pillowy suspension that will let you bounce down the road and not notice potholes and things like turns in the road. I drove a Dodge Charger. Nice in a straight line, but terrible on anything else.

The 911 is not at all quiet, but the noise is all engine and wind. Zero rattles, zero squeaks, and overall it feels like it was made from a solid chuck of billet. Brakes are "Hand of God" stopping power. The car is all about agility in every direction, and responsiveness to your every thought.

I say to the OP, you drove a bad 911. You should probably drive another few before you buy anything.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Man, you got that right!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
msterling
Advanced

Just find a good one. A good 85 Carrera will have been maintained cosmetically AND mechanically. My 88 911 Carrera Cab does not exhibit any of the faults you mentioned. It is kinda noisy in a very good way. It stops, goes and turns just like when it was new. It looks 98% as good as when it was new. It has been reliable and fairly inexpensive to own over the ten years I have had it. It is NOT for sale.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Art Caputo
Intermediate

I have had a few 911's over the years mixed in with the latest models, including a couple of GT3's. My current 86 with 65k miles handles and runs like my 88 did when I bought it new. If I could only own one Porsche for all around use it would be any solid 3.2 Carrera. Personally, it's an acquired taste that the modern ones fail to capture. In your case I suppose it could be a combination of not having familiarity with the model, and driving a poor example. As has been already mentioned, you will no doubt feel a difference in refinement, and for sure, handling characterisics between a Cayman and an older 911.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
This is so funny!!!

While I was semi worn out before a total hip replacement, at this time (6 months post surgery), my 80SC (with 228,000+ miles - 200k are with my butt in the driver's seat) and I are at least 95% new.

Quick Reply: Can a '85 drive like a new car?