Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

how you experts analyze photos of 911's for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 PM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how you experts analyze photos of 911's for sale.

I am curious how you experts analyze photos of 911's for sale.
What details and issues your expert eye picks up on.

What are your comments on this car for sale?
Do you see anything that most people wouldn't notice?

1985 Porsche 911 Carrera. 121k miles for $16,500.
http://www.forzamotorsports.com/1985...ra/default.htm
Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That poor engine
Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

I'm not an expert, but I noticed some issues after a quick observation:

1. Door sill may be rusted
2. Sagging sunvisors and roofliner
3. Aftermarket door pulls
4. Aftermarket stereo
5. Poor paint surface on rear spoiler
6. Loose wirings in the engine
7. Bundle of wiring harness hanging under the dash looked like it had been worked on
8. Possibly involved in a front-end collision- paint finish of the front-end frame are different (derived from pic DSC_864 and 867)
Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't look bad. I've seen worse for $16k. Check all fluids and all lubricant levels. I think I see one of those oil changer filters.

Interesting that it didn't come with AC. The PO was planning to add it, but I'm not surprised that never got done. It's a lot of work and $$ to complete.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Although we have no experts here , or no one i know has claimed to be one , we do tend to look at things with a critical eye.

For the most parts you are looking for things that are not stock , or things that may raise a red flag that would indicate further inspection. eg a small rust buble may indicate a much closer inspection for rust is required.

Better to be overly critical in my eye and get a nice surprise rather then say everything is rosy and end up in a money pit.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm far from an expert.....but I do have a legitimate opinion.

These cars are old.....very old.....and if they are not in really really good condition inside and out, they look their age and then some.

Now....having said that, these cars look absolutely terrific if they are in great shape !

Bottom line.....IMO, they look one way or the other and getting them from looking REALLY OLD to looking great is expensive......and we haven't even talked about the engine (unseen items) yet !
Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
PushingMyLuck
Instructor

Nice looking car to me...

If I had to try to find something
  1. I noticed rust on the gas tank holder straps. Is this common?
  2. Peeling paint on the "whale tail"
  3. Undercarriage shots are while it was being trailered (strap downs)
Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

You not really interested to get one, right?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, at least they aren't asking $20K.

I guarantee you that engine could stand being yanked out, cleaned, and some resealing done. That sucker was steam cleaned, and it still has a lot of discoloration. Some prominent corrosion too-front skid on LH side, various parts at rear.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Not an expert but just a few observations, the overall exterior,interior and engine and trunk compartments are very clean and tidy for this year and model.
It's of course an '85 Carrera coupe sunroof standard 915 5 speed, with 121K miles this is under the
average for a daily driver at 4300 miles and change per year so it's likely been a second or third car.
The mere fact that it includes all of it's original equipment and seemingly paint adds to the veracity
of it's condition and maintenance.
The only non stock appearing items to me are the stereo head unit and door pocket speakers
unsightly to some but a major necessity if you wanted anything resembling decent sound in a vehicle of
this vintage.
The engine nor trans appear to have any major weeping or leaks although as prior posters mentioned it could in fact have been steam cleaned but doubt you could prove it..
The 3.2 engine is a bulletproof design with 60K intervals on sparkplug changes, unless some basic
maintenance was deferred it's likely in good shape.
It also has a PCA member sticker so some where along the line probably a few very **** protective
owners looks like a one or two owner car to me maybe same family but passed on and cherished.
I'd venture to say with this mileage that this is a reasonably good deal in this market although
try and haglle it down at least two or three K unless there's verifiable receipts for things like tires,
clutch, top end jobs etc.
Looks decent to me not a garage queen but a nice driver ,real nice...Bert

Last edited by budge96; 08-10-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: spell
Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why does it have a front condenser fan if it was a factory no A/C car?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has an Optima battery, not stock.
One of the reasons people do this is because they have had a Voltage Regulator failure and boiled or even exploded their lead acid battery. The rusty area around the battery is the evidence of this failure and contamination. Check further for rust, like down into the front crossmember where the suspension bolts on.
BTW, I have an Optima battery. The same thing happened to me.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

I've seen several less desirable similar vintage 911's for sale, with higher asking prices than this one.

IMO the plusses outweigh the minuses, which don't appear to be all that major assuming the obligatory pre-purchase inspection reveals no expensive surprises.

If I was in the market, if this car could be bought for $15K and if the PPI is OK, I'd be all over it...I'd love to rescue this one and take care of the cosmetics. It has a lot of potential for the right owner but maybe not if you aren't the hands-on mechanical type.

It takes $20K+ nowadays to acquire a really nice, needs nothing SC or Carrera nowadays unless you find an uninformed owner or are buying from a friend.

Just my opinion...I've only been fooling with these things for 41 years.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

So, here's the deal. We are all evaluating based on pics, on the Internet. You can really only get into the details on what it really looks like, in person.

It's been my experience, that pics usually look better than what it is like in person. The corrosion evidence, oil stains on much of the case, etc, would cause me to have someone look, or look myself before I even dreamed of talking to the owner about a purchase.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In addition to what has been mentioned, the RR light assembly fit, could have been hit RR. Right side paint, door vs rear quarter, more could have been hit RR. Right side door alignment, door could have been off. Left side door alignment, door could have been off. Bottom front of left door, door brake could have failed. Left front corner of bumper alignment, could have been hit or off and not well aligned on replacement.

Ed, you should be watching the race or sampling the brats at each of the infield vendors!

Quick Reply: how you experts analyze photos of 911's for sale.