911SC Steering Wheel Play

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM
SPG356
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911SC Steering Wheel Play

Greetings,

A friend's 911SC cab has and up and down/side to side play in the steering wheel, not rotational play as in turning the wheel, but literally up and down and side to side. The turnsignal stalk housing does not move at all, so I am guessing we have something missing or very worn in the shaft.

Anyone have this experience?

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2013, 07:09 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the sleeve that goes over the bearing. They are made of Teflon or another type of breakable material. You have to pull the steering wheel to see it. Once the wheel is pulled, it will be evident.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

yeah i cut up the cap from my edge shave gell and jammed it in .. 5 years later is still solid.. i think there is a thread on tis down the page a little.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the factory steering wheel bearing has a plastic insert that is designed to create an interference fit between the inner race and the not-so-precise steering shaft. When the factory plastic insert breaks down, the interference fit is gone, and the steering shaft wobbles around.

The fix would be (1) replace the factory bearing, (2) replace just the factory insert by buying a new factory bearing and remove the entire steering column, or (3) a number of aftermarket fixes.

The aftermarket fixes are: (1) use the 928 metal sleeve sold commonly by Porsche parts houses, (2) use a plastic paint can lid or the Edge shaving gel lid, or (3) the "Mitch Leland" designed steering wheel bushing.

I would not opt for the 928 sleeve. It removes most of the wheel wobble, but introduces a metal-on-metal rubbing condition that may wear out the steering shaft. I think I might have been one of the first to try the Edge shaving cap. The plastic detents that hold the cap on act to close up the gap and prevent the plastic material from walking down the shaft, keeping it in place. I was one of the first to receive the prototype "Mitch Leland" bushing, as my friend Mitch took it upon himself to come up with a more permanent fix for his beautiful M491 burgundy coupe.

I am partial to the Mitch Leland bushing, which is sold exclusively by Pelican Parts. I know that a number of folks have created similar bushings, including Ed (Ivangene) and others. The only one that I know of that is commercially available is the Mitch Leland version. I still have mine installed after around 6 or 7 years, and the steering is rock solid. It includes detailed instructions. In full disclosure, I was involved in the pics that are part of the instructions, taking the first pics on my own 3.2 911. Mitch came up with his own design and developed the part into a true fix.

Hope all that helps.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
SPG356
Intermediate

Thanks guys, that is exactly the info I needed!

Regards,
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 AM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mitch Leland bushing is great. Easy installation, too.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

...and Rus's Shave Gell Cap is free
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM
User 123
Instructor

Thanks for this thread... Exactly the details I was looking for. I just ordered the Mitch Leland Bushing.

Quick Reply: 911SC Steering Wheel Play