Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Nylon Bushings and Grease

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nylon Bushings and Grease

More barnfind fun. While (still) messing with the through-tunnel fuel lines on my SC today (still can't get the old return line out for some reason) I found a few more "interesting" things.

One of them is that the nylon bushings that the accelerator rod runs in are are all disintegrated, and all had been greased with what appears to be plain old chassis grease like was used on grease fittings in the old days. Isn't this sort of lube detrimental to nylon (or whatever these things are made of)? Seems to me I read somewhere in the past not to lubricate this type of bushing. Right or wrong? Same question about the shift rod bushing and the ball socket on the bottom of the shifter.

I also found that the P/O had installed a quick shift kit of same variety, and when I removed the steering wheel for some working room I found the upper column bearing disintegrating. The surprises just never stop.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The upper column bearing is easy to replace and a very common problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

After all these years most wear items will be worn if not previously replaced. Silicone and some synthetics can be used on nylon bushings but sometimes best to just be...any grease/lube can and will attract dirt that will increase wear...depends upon the type of bushing and its job.
The manual says lube some plastic/nylon bushings in the shift linkage arena that you mentioned.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These things aren't just worn, they're disintegrated. That's what made me think of chemical degradation.

I think when I reassemble it all I will lube them with a silicone grease, like Dow-Corning 111.

Quick Reply: Nylon Bushings and Grease