Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'84 Carrera Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:12 PM
CVDH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '84 Carrera Starting Issues

Hi there, I've been having some issues with my 911 Carrera 3.2. I've only owned it a few months so excuse my lack of practical, hands-on experience. While it occasionally starts and runs flawlessly, much of the time it will not start. Fuel pump, lights, accessories, everything will power on when I turn the key, but sometimes the starter will not crank. Push starting works and sometimes it won't need help getting started again after. I tried a new battery, because I did a search and read that batteries that aren't charged 100% will lack the cranking power to turn the starter. The battery wasn't the issue. Can I reach the starter without jacking up the car? Can I "diagnose" the issue by whacking the starter with a wrench to see if that makes it work?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Kind of hard to reach without the car on stands. Get it up then check all of your connections. It still sounds like it's time for a new unit...an intermittent starter is normally the case when they start to go bad.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 PM
CVDH
Racer

Thanks for the advice. I think she's pissy because the 510 just arrived. I might as well replace it while I do my valve adjustment.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your starter solenoid is dying. It will eventually stop working completely, but it's usually intermittent at first like you're experiencing. It's hard to reach without backing up on ramps or jacking up onto stands because it's up above the transmission on the pass side where it meets the back of the engine, so you really have to get under the car on your back and reach up thru everything to get to it.

FYI, one of the bolts holding it on is on the top side of the starter base so you'll have to reach around and over the top drivers side of the transmission and somewhat blindly find the bolt with your wrench.

Oh and unless you're just testing voltage, if you're going to remove it be sure you disconnect neg battery terminal b/c it has constant voltage running to it all the time.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

It sure could be the starter. Or your ignition switch. Or wiring to the starter. You can access the connections, although it is a pain, but maybe with the help of a mirror, check what you have back there.

The first thing I'd do, is check battery connections. Then, I'd replace the ground strap. These deteriorate over time, and for $7 or whatever it costs, not a bad thing to replace. Then see what you get.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by CVDH
Hi there, I've been having some issues with my 911 Carrera 3.2. I've only owned it a few months so excuse my lack of practical, hands-on experience. While it occasionally starts and runs flawlessly, much of the time it will not start. Fuel pump, lights, accessories, everything will power on when I turn the key, but sometimes the starter will not crank. Push starting works and sometimes it won't need help getting started again after. I tried a new battery, because I did a search and read that batteries that aren't charged 100% will lack the cranking power to turn the starter. The battery wasn't the issue. Can I reach the starter without jacking up the car? Can I "diagnose" the issue by whacking the starter with a wrench to see if that makes it work?
Why would it be the starter motor when he mentions push starting sometimes works and sometimes won't?
Check the earth strap from the body to the gearbox, if in doubt get a jump lead and connect it from the body of the car to an earth point on the engine and see if it cranks, do the same if you have a long enough lead from the positive on the starter (Remove right rear wheel for easier access) to the positive on the battery, that will eliminate power problems and while your there check the tickle wire for the starter too.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It really does sound like the starter or a grounding issue. Any chance this only happens when the engine is hot, like after a long drive. Some starters become "heat soaked" and "freeze" up when they are too hot. Replace with a known good one.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Chicago Craig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffnudd
Why would it be the starter motor when he mentions push starting sometimes works and sometimes won't?
I think you misread what he posted. It sounds like he says that push starting works, and then it won't happen for a bit afterwards.

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
Sounds like your starter solenoid is dying. It will eventually stop working completely, but it's usually intermittent at first like you're experiencing. It's hard to reach without backing up on ramps or jacking up onto stands because it's up above the transmission on the pass side where it meets the back of the engine, so you really have to get under the car on your back and reach up thru everything to get to it.

FYI, one of the bolts holding it on is on the top side of the starter base so you'll have to reach around and over the top drivers side of the transmission and somewhat blindly find the bolt with your wrench.

Oh and unless you're just testing voltage, if you're going to remove it be sure you disconnect neg battery terminal b/c it has constant voltage running to it all the time.
I'd agree with this. What you describe sounds exactly what happened to my SC prior to the starter finally quitting. And changing the starter is a REAL pain. You pretty much have to get the car about 30 degrees over, and the bolts are only accessible by touch. It's not a bad fix, and I think anyone could do it. But I *hate* working on cars on jack stands. I've seen too many rigged things fall, from sailboats to crates to cars.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok, what I did. I just rewired a new solenoid to the starter and fastened it to the firewall...I know, I know...but 2 years later still works.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad starter or bad battery/ starter/ ground connections.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

a couple points ....

It is possible that a bump start may not start a hot engine . Hot engines are harder to start period than colder ones so this does not really surprise me.
I would certainly investigate the ignition switch as Ed mentioned before crawling under the car . May not be it but boy would you feel dumb if after all that struggling under the car, it was ... worst case you will have a spare.

If you can see if you can have it rebuilt locally or get a opinion at least . I have no confidence in Bosch rebuilt anything.
I have heard you can replace it with a different manufacturer high torque starter as an option but i dont know much about that.

Quick Reply: '84 Carrera Starting Issues