Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'88 911 165/15 space saver spare?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 PM
BACooke
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 911 165/15 space saver spare?

Over the years I've never had to use my spare: although I do take it out once a year to inflate & inspect. It's in excellent condition but I'm still uneasy about going on any long trips in case I have problems. I have a brand new compressor but it still takes forever to inflate. I would rather find a 15", 16" or 17" wheel (narrow as possible) and mount a tire that would have the same outside diameter as a 205/50/17. Any recommendations? If it's as narrow as the existing spare it will fit in the trunk while inflated. I would gladly sacrifice the storage space in order to have a pre-inflated "regular" tire.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

another approach: I purchased the inflator/flat fix unit that comes with most new GM cars.
Amazon.com: 2011 LUCERNE DTS CAMARO TIRE AIR COMPRESSOR PUMP 20938769 20898942: Automotive Amazon.com: 2011 LUCERNE DTS CAMARO TIRE AIR COMPRESSOR PUMP 20938769 20898942: Automotive
I took the spare out as a weight saving deal. My Caddy came equipped this way too, no spare.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another approach: I purchased the inflator/flat fix unit that comes with most new GM cars.
Amazon.com: 2011 LUCERNE DTS CAMARO TIRE AIR COMPRESSOR PUMP 20938769 20898942: Automotive Amazon.com: 2011 LUCERNE DTS CAMARO TIRE AIR COMPRESSOR PUMP 20938769 20898942: Automotive
I took the spare out as a weight saving deal. My Caddy came equipped this way too, no spare.
Don't you still need the sealant? I've often wondered about going that route, but the sealant won't work on every type of flat. Plus, the tire shop tends to hate you for bringing them a mess later.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Reiver
Drifting

The sealant is in that pump body, you can use it simply as an air pump or turn the sealant on.
Guys that change tires for a living understand this if you give them a heads up.
BTW, how many flats have you had in the last 10 years? Do you have roadside coverage too?
My point is I have not used a spare in I don't know how long so don't agonize over every eventuality.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The space saver spare works very well. Keep it and buy a vaire or superflow compressor. No sealant, ever!!!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
The space saver spare works very well. Keep it and buy a vaire or superflow compressor. No sealant, ever!!!!!
or that
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i have owned my car for 12 years and never inflated or checked my spare.
once you inflated how do you deiinflate it?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 AM
mstier
Advanced

There's a tool you can buy at an auto parts store to disinflate a tire.

The more serious issue with the spare tire in the 911 is that as I understand it the spare is a critical part of the collision safety system of the car. Without the spare in place, you don't have the mass that the car was designed to have in the location it was designed to have it. If you have an accident, you compromise the safety of your vehicle. Now, I know you're thinking that these are rear engine cars, they can't be very safe in any kind of a front collision, but the other reality is that they're a far cry from a Corvair. Especially the later cars like your and my '88 are remarkably safe vehicles considering their configuration, but that requires not messing around with the basic setup.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I've used the space saver spare twice, and the full-sized spare in my 914-6 once. The space saver spare works just the same as a full-sized spare, but it obviously takes up less space and perhaps the fact that it's uniflated might aid longevity, I don't know. Unless you have a 25 gallon Ruf gas tank, there is no reason not to carry it.

To disinflate the spare, there is a small check valve that you can open with a small knife or screwdriver. It's similar to the uninflation check valve on air compressors. If you leave the space saver spare inflated for a few days or weeks, then it might be difficult to fold it back up. You can use a ratcheting tie-down to deflate it and fold it back into the trunk.

Do not use Fix a Flat on the space saver tire! Just use compressed air.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

i do think i nicely finished Fuch in that location with a full tire might look kind of smart .. i guess if i could pick up a single 16" fuch and paint it up i would drop it in. Not sure if it would fit though .. I have one of mine in my van right now as I just had the wheel weight put back in so i will throw it in and see if t fits.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
BACooke
7th Gear

Wink 16" Fuch??

Iceman, I'd be interested to know if a 16" Fuch would be thin enough to fit in the trunk with the tire fully inflated. Thx in advance, Brian
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

There was an article in `Excellence' magazine about this very issue a year or two ago. They discussed the concern about the age of most of the collapsable spares out there and whether they would be safe to inflate and use, considering that many are now 20 years old or older. The tire itself has become unobtainium making a freshening of the spare impossible. The article was somewhat discouraging because it offered no solution to the problem other than carrying a can of tire goop.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You'd have to buy a 916 prototype space saver spare to get a Fuchs wheel with the folding tire.

A full size tire will not fit in the tank well. In fact, the rear tires will not fit in the trunk.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

You'd have to buy a 916 prototype space saver spare to get a Fuchs wheel with the folding tire.

A full size tire will not fit in the tank well. In fact, the rear tires will not fit in the trunk.
damn .. well that truely sucks ..
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
ruflife
Advanced

I know this well. Quite a few years ago, out to dinner - Flat on a back road - had the spare and the compressor but thought while I was changing it if the 15 year old spare would hold air - spare on and inflated and held air - looked at the trunk for a minute - looked back at the 16x9 Fuchs rear for a minute - looked in the car for a minute while my date looks at me a little puzzeled - she wasn't overly happy with me when I suggested that if she would get her cute dress and all in the backseat so the Fuchs could ride shotgun - she asks if it would make sense to leave it on the side of the road and come and pick it up later - I was a gentlemen - I waited with her while her room mate came and picked her up because ain't no way in hell that wheel is going to sit on the side of the road......true story - 2nd and last date.

Quick Reply: '88 911 165/15 space saver spare?