Houston PPI Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 AM
mmahon04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston PPI Options

Hey Guys,

I'm an out of town buyer (driving in), looking at picking up a 3.2 in the coming week, and need a final opinion from others on a shop to use for a PPI.

Options from research:
1) Koby Motors
2) Motorwerks Houston
3) Autodynamica
4) European Auto Techniks (i.e. Mike Cawley)
5) Lawell Motorsports
6) Swiss Garage
7) Viking Motorsports (1-713-777-0911?)

Long Shot Possibilities:
1) Sam Shalala (or referral from him; 1-281-808-0860?)

I've been informed/found out that the following places no longer do PPI's:
1) Eurocar-Werk (Called, no longer do PPI's for out-of-towners, was referrred to Koby)
2) Protechnik (Closed)
3) Momentum Porsche (No PPI's per forums; poor feedback)
4) West Houston Porsche (No PPI's per forums; no feedback)

Rennsport Porsche Works is out...I'd love to use them, but I don't have either the time or the permission to take the vehicle that far out of the way. Also, cost is no object (relatively speaking); I'd rather pay a premium and know *everything* than pay for it later. I'd love to hear feedback from people who have directly used one of the above (or third party from someone who has).

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What part of Houston?
Try posting on Face Book ... Lone Star Region PCA. They are a very active group and should be able to help you. GLWP!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,130 Likes on 809 Posts

Just keep in mind even the best PPi can miss some things .. hopefully you have a list of specific things you would like checked ...

Valve guide wear may be hard to spot unless you have accurate oil consumption records .. i would say that is about your only real worry that a PPi may not reveal. Just dont tell us you are buying it from Victory motors ..
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
mmahon04
Advanced

Originally Posted by Andy Kay
What part of Houston?
Try posting on Face Book ... Lone Star Region PCA. They are a very active group and should be able to help you. GLWP!
Thanks for the quick response. Their Facebook page is locked, but I have emailed the President of the chapter for a question redirect.

Originally Posted by theiceman
Just keep in mind even the best PPi can miss some things .. hopefully you have a list of specific things you would like checked ...

Valve guide wear may be hard to spot unless you have accurate oil consumption records .. i would say that is about your only real worry that a PPi may not reveal. Just dont tell us you are buying it from Victory motors ..
Thanks for the concern. From prior experience, I have what I consider a thorough list (several pages of things to check, line itemed). Quite frankly, if it wasn't for the fact I can't bring my lift or compression & leakdown equipment with me, I would do the PPI myself. Body gap checks, body filler checks (the old school magnet test w/ paint thickness gauge), compression, leakdown, etc, are all tops on my list; if I had my way, I would even go so far as to run an oil analysis pre-purchase.

Victory Motors it may be; I'm hopeful, but not attached. Finding vehicles in the south/gulf-south region (i.e. driving distance) is near impossible, and I can't afford to be flying all over the country and have one shipped back. For me, doing homework is mandatory which largely takes away worries about a given dealer; bad or good, the inspection should tease it out.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

wow sounds like you are really doing your homework .. personally paint thickness for me is not a concern ,, cars are 20 - 30 years old .. if it has been repainted here and there so what , as long as its a quality job .. but i hear you on the bondo tho .. Sounds like you are having fun with it ..

Last edited by theiceman; 06-14-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Is this car at Victory?

I've heard that Callas in Sealy is the place to be.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Use koby motor works, they do good PPI's and the lone star PCA Facebook is open, I'm a member , but if you want the real deal on a PPI , reensport is your guy..
Good luck.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:44 AM
mmahon04
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Is this car at Victory?

I've heard that Callas in Sealy is the place to be.
Car is currently at Victory. As per my prior statements, I'm cautiously optimistic (I'm sure I've read the same reviews/ratings we all have).

I've heard the same regarding Callas at Rennsport, but an hour drive out and back, not to mention test drive time, PPI time, my drive in from Baton Rouge, and drive back out makes for an impossible day.

Originally Posted by Opo
Use koby motor works, they do good PPI's and the lone star PCA Facebook is open, I'm a member , but if you want the real deal on a PPI , reensport is your guy..
Good luck.
Thanks for the Koby recommendation. I'd been in touch with Achilles there and he seems nice enough, but the street-view on Google maps didn't instill confidence immediately. "Book by it's cover" and all that I suppose. I'm working on it.

Regarding the Lone Star Facebook page, I might have missed something then; it wouldn't allow me to make a page post (the group was open to join, however).

*Edit* I did get an email back from Greg Platt (LSRPCA President), and his recommendation was to contact the three local dealerships, or any of the independent shops advertising in the LSRPCA newsletter. Several from my original post are in said newsletter.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought a 993 from Victory about 10 years ago and used Koby. Koby did a good job mechanically but missed a few cosmetic items. Omitting the interesting negotiating style by Robert Neal, the car was mostly as represented and Koby did a decent job.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 PM
mmahon04
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
I bought a 993 from Victory about 10 years ago and used Koby. Koby did a good job mechanically but missed a few cosmetic items. Omitting the interesting negotiating style by Robert Neal, the car was mostly as represented and Koby did a decent job.
Thank you for your heads up Targa. Do you mind if I PM you?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM
K80Max
Intermediate

You may have already made arrangements for your PPI. If not I HIGHLY recommend Mike Callas at Rennsport in Sealey. Well worth the extra time and distance. These guys KNOW these cars. You might give them a call or email with questions. They are a small operation and they stay busy.

We live in Weston Lakes about 20 miles from Mike's shop. You are welcome to our guest bedroom complete with annoying cat.

Max
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

If you are buying from Victory, all the more reason to take the time to get it to the best possible place for PPI.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If you are buying from Victory, all the more reason to take the time to get it to the best possible place for PPI.
+1
Hey ED, the last time I visit mike about 3 months ago, he told me that VICTORY will not let him do PPI's on their cars

K80max, I'm in Katy right around the corner from you
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

with victorys reputation it is excellent you are not buying the car sight unseen. at least that way you own any decision you make.
good luck in the hunt.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I have been to Victory many times, their cars are clean and appear decent.

Callas / Rennsport in Sealey is the only place I would go to do a PPI, it is worth the drive and a good shake down run figure an hour from Victory to Rennsport.

Don't cut corners and you will not have any remorse or regrets down the road.

Quick Reply: Houston PPI Options