Originally Posted by aualexa2
Pass
Passed and forgotten... thank you for the great advise
Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Toddster
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Custom cab

i just read a great article in panorama about how it took Porsche several years to come up with the engineering to create a cab out of the 911 coupe that would not collapse. There was one example they mentioned of the engine actually falling out of the car from the lack of stiffness and movement in the frame. I would not trust any one making that type of conversion. I don't think Porsche developed that until 83
Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 PM
rocket.science
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddster
i just read a great article in panorama about how it took Porsche several years to come up with the engineering to create a cab out of the 911 coupe that would not collapse. There was one example they mentioned of the engine actually falling out of the car from the lack of stiffness and movement in the frame. I would not trust any one making that type of conversion. I don't think Porsche developed that until 83
oh another great piece of advise.
I noticed cabriolet prices seem a tad bit higher than coupe
Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 AM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Pass
+1
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

I havent really read the whole thread so i appologize if i have mised something.

Converting 911s into Cabs is an endorsed project from Porsche. In fact in the 80s they found the cars so reliable they wer having trouble with generating revenue for the service dealers. So they offered to the Public a conversion done at the dealerships that would convert your 911 into a cab. I actually have the Porsche instruction manual on how to do the project somewhere i think.

However it should be noted that this was only for current Targa models of the day as they already had the body stiffening built in.

That said i think it took 35 years or so for Porsche to build there own Turbo cab. if i remember correctly they said they would never do it as it could not be done ... Well technology , manufacturing and products advance i guess.

They may have done one or 2 special wishes but i am sure someone can tell us when the first true Turbo Cab production line started . I bet it was this century tho.

Anyway another interesting point to note here . I say Pass on the car above too . it goes to show you that guys are eager to "mod" cars and personalize it and make it special. Thats great but severly modified cars can not stand up against nice original specimens as there are just too many unkowns for buyers.

Just look at that car above as an example .. everyone here is a "pass" me included .. There are very few modded cars that guys run to snap up , with the obvious exception of Ruby, but that again , is because we know the history of the car.

So try to look for nice original well kept examples, get Petes book and take your time .. and if you like to mod, mod tastefully with theings that can be unbolted.

Carry on ....
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Very odd that someone would go thru all the "widebody" mods and not put on a T-Tail! C-Tail looks ridiculous!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellence had an article on the first 930 Cabriolet. It appeared on the private market and was restored. I think it debuted in either Stuttgart or Paris in the mid 1980s. I want to say around '84 or so? It had funky 1980s multi colored swooshes on the fenders.

As for finding the aircooled 911 of your dreams, take your time, and go out and look at all the 911s you can.

Try searchtempest.com too.

Quick Reply: shopping for an aircooled 911