retrofit AC into a non AC car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default retrofit AC into a non AC car?

I'm looking to buy a 3.2 Carrera and have found a car that's almost perfect except for one thing - there's no air conditioning. AC was an unusual option in the late 80s in the UK. Is retrofitting an option? I would find an AC equipped car at a breaker's yard and get all of the items (lines, compressor, condensers, evaporator, wiring, etc) but are there body or chassis mods required? I would probably upgrade some of the components to ensure it was as effective as reasonably possible. Any advice as to what might be involved would be appreciated. I know that "anything's possible" but is it realistic?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
awhenry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check into aftermarket AC. Probably cheaper and more effective than the stock stuff and if you do some more research, you will find that you have to replace about 1/2 the stock stuff to have a really good system.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 PM
marcel964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the climate were you living, but if it is not the tropics, just leave it out. Old 911 dont get very cold on AC. And you save à lot of money and aprox 30kg
Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I appreciate that the need for AC is a personal preference - let's just say my strong preference is to have it.

I would use some of the aftermarket components from Griffiths, retroaire or the like but I figure some of the basics will need to come from Porsche and some mods might be required. So my original question remains - is my aspiration realistic?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Griffiths can supply you with everything you need if requested, or give you a list of items not included. You'll need to cut a hole at the bottom of the smugglers box.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on the few times I have been in the UK over the years I would guess that your summertime climate is much like ours around here. In that case I suspect you would get more than sufficient A/C with just a factory system but with one or 2 updates..

Binary pressure switch to control and protect the compressor.

In my opinion you can add 2 extra cooling fans to the rear lid condensor and forget the front condensor/fan.

Use a trinary pressure switch instead and run the fans based on the 3rd switch function.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
rstarga
Pro

wwest, we've heard your suggestions before, please go away.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by rstarga
wwest, we've heard your suggestions before, please go away.
Op is in UK, NOT Tx.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Felix, I seem to recall a similar thread recently in which someone posted a link to a company offering a "turn-key" solution for around $2K.
Gary
Old 05-05-2013, 02:58 PM
rstarga
Pro

In the UK you can get away with basic setup:
Compressor; compressor mount;engine mounted condensor;receiver dryer;barrier hoses;smugglers box evaporator unit; temp and fan control switches. I don't think you need the complication of the front condenser.
Rennaire is a little less expensive than Griffiths and should be sufficient for UK.
Factory evaporator unit, rear condensor and switches could be sourced from dismantler.
You don't need any rear condensor fans, I ran the setup above for years in Mexico where the temps are about what you get in the UK summer, high 80's, to very low 90's.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by rstarga
In the UK you can get away with basic setup:
Compressor; compressor mount;engine mounted condensor;receiver dryer;barrier hoses;smugglers box evaporator unit; temp and fan control switches. I don't think you need the complication of the front condenser.
Rennaire is a little less expensive than Griffiths and should be sufficient for UK.
Factory evaporator unit, rear condensor and switches could be sourced from dismantler.
You don't need any rear condensor fans, I ran the setup above for years in Mexico where the temps are about what you get in the UK summer, high 80's, to very low 90's.
As I said before, I'm pretty confident that you would be happy with the factory A/C system, maybe even the one without the front condensor, provided...(***2)

But our resident expert, Kuehl, is on record (***1) as saying that the addition of the binary pressure switch is a highly desireable add-on feature, virtually a requirement if converting a factory system from R12 to R134a.

a.) Prevents damage to the compressor should refrigerant level get too low.

b.) Prevents the compressor from driving the system pressure beyond system design pressures, 350-450PSI, should the thermostatic switch control system fail "on"/closed.

c.) Based on Kuehl's recommendation (ref. "b"), and the EPA's test results, it may be entirely possible to use the factory "non-barrier" hose provided the binary pressure switch is used to prevent system overpressures.

Another recommendation of the EPA is that should the conversion to r-134a result in to much loss of A/C cooling capacity an extra fan might be added to move more air over the existing condensors. Increasing their efficiency thereby overcoming the loss due to R-134a.

My suggestion, supported by the factory reaction to the initial system design (add more refrigerant condensing capability) and by the EPA, is to use a TRINARY pressure switch. Use the extra switch element, just as do the majority of modern day 24/7 automotive A/C systems (Porsche included), to "power" additional condensor cooling fans.

In this case 2 radiator cooling fans "sucking" airflow downward through the rear lid condensor.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Douglas aka Amber Lamps has directed me to this thread as I am putting the a/c system from my 1986 Carrera on the market. Let me know if you are interested in one way or the other. The a/c was in working order but I cannot ensure that it still is at this time.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: retrofit AC into a non AC car?