Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
TopDrive
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Porsche

I just bought my first Porsche, an '87 911 coupe.

It wasn't a planned purchase, a friend owns a local import autoshop and he calls me whenever he has a customer that wants to sell something at a good price.

He called about this 911 and even though my knowledge on the cars is pretty low, I couldn't pass it up at the asking price, the car is in far too good condition for what I paid for it. ($17k).

There are no problems of any kind. Interior, exterior and mechanically it rates as 'excellent' condition.

I instantly fell in love with how it drives.

But there is one thing I am less than pleased with, I would like to have more power.

So that's my question, how radical would I have to get to wake up the 3.2 and if I do so will it detract from the value?

The car is 100% original right now except for the modern stereo and updated A/C. Even the paint is original.

Here are some pics, before and after getting it home.

Btw, I'm not looking for crazy quick or fast, I have cars for that. I'm just looking for better throttle response and more torque. But not at the expense of devaluing the car.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Quickest and cheapest means of achieving more throttle response and torque is pop a 3.6 in there and have fun ,less expense than what would be required to make the 3.2 marginally quicker
and about 75 more easy horse to contend with!...Bert
Old 04-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^ Scratch that idea for now. Get yourself a Steve Wong chip.

http://www.911chips.com/ It will wake you car right up and takes an hour.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 AM
TopDrive
AutoX

Thanks, that's precisely the kind of information I was looking for.

I've learned more about 911's in the past four hours lurking this forum than over the past 40 yrs.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

The car looks really nice, congratulations!

It is interesting reading a story such as yours… someone who (I think) was not a die-hard Porsche fan BEFORE buying the car, but then getting into it and liking it. Most of us posting here were already hopelessly biased towards 911s before getting one, so I sometime wonder if our opinion of how the car drives is similarly biased. Air cooled 911s feel very unique, and it won’t be everybody’s cup of tea. I am delighted that you are enjoying it.

As for performance, I consistently read that a SW chip and perhaps an exhaust is the usual upgrade path. I don’t have personal experience to add there, sorry.

I would recommend that you first have the car carefully reviewed and given a thorough tune up to establish a true base line. Your comment about throttle response caught my attention as that is one of the elements I particularly like about the 3.2’s.

If everything is up to snuff, the 3.2 is pretty quick, not truly fast by today’s standards, but still quick. Not saying that you won’t want more performance, but just suggesting to first make sure it is up to original spec and then decide. At this age, it is not unusual for a well-presented car to have various age & use-related issues needing attention.

One safety-related item that you should check soon would be the rubber fuel lines on top of the engine. If they are original, then they may be getting long in the tooth. There are a million other things to ponder, but that is the one safety-related item that I always think of for a 25 year old 3.2.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice OP! If you look at the my mods in my signature, I think they will make you happy! They really changed the car for me. Then once you do those, your next project can be the suspension!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TopDrive
But there is one thing I am less than pleased with, I would like to have more power.

So that's my question, how radical would I have to get to wake up the 3.2 and if I do so will it detract from the value?

Btw, I'm not looking for crazy quick or fast, I have cars for that. I'm just looking for better throttle response and more torque. But not at the expense of devaluing the car.
i just picked up an '89 and am attempting to make it a fun driver with more power. I am removing weight (factory front sport seats and rear seats) and eventually fiberglass bumpers. This should drop a few hundred pounds out of the car. I also removed the factory exhaust and installed headers and an M&K 2 in 2 out muffler. The car "woke" up considerably with just the exhaust. I should have a Wong chip sitting on my doorstep and cannot wait to get it installed when I get home Thursday and will let you know know. I am trying not to modify the car too much to devalue it but I also want to have something that I enjoy for my needs. I am storing all my stock parts and if/when I sell it won't be too difficult to return to stock.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all congrats on your purchase How many miles are currently on the beast ? Would love to see some interior pictures when you got a chance. Enjoy, it looks like you found a gem.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM
awhenry
Advanced

I was initially disappointed with the performance of my '87 911 but realized that it was driving the car in the context of other more modern vehicles. I traded a Lotus Elise for the 911 and my DD is a 2004 Pontiac GTO. Both are very fast cars especially compared to the 911. The more I drive the 911 I realize that it is indeed quick and responsive. I would check out the catalytic converter if slow response is your issue along with fuel filter and distributor cap/rotor. It is very likely just maintenance on the simple things that may be affecting your car. How many miles are on the drivetrain? Mine had sat for over 2 years and just needed some love and attention to perform. I also had to learn to lean on the accelerator a little more.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

With the proper octane fuel, a chip and headers will do nicely. <$2500 for ~15-25hp, depending on who you talk to. Been there's done that, it works.

I also went for the additional 25-30hp-that cost me $18k, but I had fun, and loved every minute of it. Building a 911 engine is quite rewarding.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Another note to the OP. Don't just think speed and power with these cars. It not just about that. It's the seat of the pants feel, the lack of any cpu saving your ***, locking up the brakes in a fast stop and smelling rubber, lack of power steering, the sound of that air cooled boxer, the smells, etc, etc. It's a car that really needs to be driven and manhandled. Also lets not forget about how sweet and nostalgic looking they are. IMO it's the iconic Porsche! All of the above is really what makes these cars special.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

It is not a 'hot rod' in the classical sense but much more. Take time to drive it and get to know its sweet spots. Above 4 grand it is a hot rod. You don't drag race but you can out pace with handling and high rpm.
You can get more HP but at a cost, the designers did a good job of exacting what they could while keeping the car very reliable.
If you can drop the emissions added on stuff work from there. Lighten.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most extra power you will get for the least amount of money will be a Steve Wong chip and a cat bypass/premuffler. Both can be had for around $375/each new.
http://www.911chips.com/dyno.html
Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that when most folks have their first drive in a 911, they conclude that it is not very fast. That's because most of the "go" is up above 4K rpm. Once you adjust to that, it becomes a blast to drive.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:57 PM
TopDrive
AutoX

Thanks for the replies. I'll get some more pigs up, including interior when I get home next, which will be a week or so.

It has 115k miles on it. The D50 feels new but its never been repaired that I can tell. I have all the maintenance records going back to 1991.

It has had valve guides replaced. The previous owner was a stickler for preventive maintenance as well, and it shows.

It took about 10 minutes for me to fall in love with how it drives though. I was shocked at its precision. It's not a luxury car, it's a drivers car.

I've owned a long string of nice cars, from old muscle to M cars. But not even my heavily modded M3 felt like this 911.

Quick Reply: First Porsche