Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

76 911S Narrow body vs wheel size

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:36 PM
joes911s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 911S Narrow body vs wheel size

I have been thru the archives and there are plenty of discussions on wheels and tires for 76 911. Several talk about wide body or conversions. I would rather not mod the body.

The stock size is 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs. Will Fuchs 6" x 16 front and 7" x 16 rears fit a narrow body without rolling the fender flares? Neither the seller nor I know for sure.

The tires can have a lower aspect ratio to accomodate the added 1" wheel diameter but the extra width will want wider rubber.

Thanks for letting me ask again. js
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

It's a common question and the only correct answer is "maybe". The fronts will fit fine. The rears may fit depending on tire size, ride height and amount of negative camber. These cars can be inconsistent in their body dimensions in the rear wheel arch area. They can vary from car to car and from side to side even on the same car. Tires of the same size and aspect ratio can also vary in their actual width and edge profile when mounted on the wheel. The only way you can really know is to trial fit your tire of choice on the wheel and install it on the car. IN GENERAL: 16x7 fuchs will accommodate a 205/50 in the rear wheel arches of a narrow body car. It will be close and may or may not rub under cornering and suspension compression. One caveat that people miss on occasion is that the tire sidewall may clear the rear fender lip only to rub the inner fender about two inches above the fender lip under full suspension compression leaving a nice heat blister on the paint.

I dealt with this issue with a custom offset wheel that started out as a 16x7 fuchs alloy. Harvey Weidman widened the wheel one inch on the inside to allow fitment of a 225/50/16 tire (barely). The only other option for wider tires without flaring the car would be a different wheel with an offset that pushes the width to the inside. I believe the popular wheel for this application is called a "revolution" and they are a bit hard to find.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The stock wheel is a 6 x 15 fuchs, you can fit a 8 x 16 to the front if you use the 951 offset fuchs I'm not sure what will fit on rear. Folks have been running 15 x 7 on the rear of early 911's but as TT states above it depends.
Phil
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As above, there's it all laid out.

But I'd work on what you're using for suspension/ride height first. I always settled on a square 15X7 w/ 225/50 setup for my non-flared track cars, the last being a '73S that I didn't want paint burn on. Ran it a little on the high side, maybe 1/2" higher than we call Euro Height with a 30mm rear torsion bar. It was still competitive, about the same times as my '92 C4 when running equal brand tires.

Quick Reply: 76 911S Narrow body vs wheel size