Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also sand the housing with some 150 grit paper to give you the clearance you are looking for. How much clearance should it have?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

I think the fan to housing clearance is 1/16". Thought about that Houpty. But the magnesium is fairly porous beyond the outer layer, based on some pitting in the housing. Saga continues...thought I had a good line on a used one from Dc Automotive. Bought it online. Couple of days later I get a refund email notice. Couldn't find it in their inventory. If you need an earlier housing there are several good ones for sale at the Bird board classifieds. Decided to bite the bullet and buy new OEM fan and housing.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

What about vertex ?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Funny you should say that Ice. Man, this is a saga. Not the job itself, just finding the parts.

Ordered used fan and housing from dc Automotive. Showed to be instock. A week goes by. Get an email that my card has been credited the order amount. Call. "What's up?"
"Yeah, we can't locate your parts."
OK. Plan B. Purchased new OEM fan and housing, (showing to be in-stock) from AutoAtlanta. A week goes by. No email with tracking #. Call.
Again, "What's up?"
"We're shipping your part today."
"Part?"
"Yes, just the fan. Housing is now NLA."
"Great."

Oh well, get a Vertex from Pelican. Ordered housing. Go it. Installed fan into housing. Fan is binding. Installed alternator in Vertex housing to test fit. Fan is binding. Sent Vertex back. Re-installed alternator with washers behind alt mount as Rusnak, advised. Tried a couple of different washers at 6 and 7 o'clock. Got pretty even all the way around. Decided to use old fan. I'll install new fan when I get another housing.

Next job is going to be less parts issue, but scarier. Oil change. Valve adjustment. S-pipe replacement. Chain tensioner feed lines replacement and possibly chain box cover gaskets replacement.
Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

added pics.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad that you more or less have the problem solved for now.

First oil change? If so, then prepared to be baptized. Most newbies end up looking like Daniel Plainview.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've a new Vertex housing and fan waiting to be installed once she gets back from restoration (paint and interior). Hoping to not encounter installation issues but have heard of a few challenges here and there from others (all fixable issues),..many others have had NO issues with this approach. We shall see!

BEST!

Doyle

Quick Reply: Alternator woes