Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

OK, where do you guys search when you're looking for a 911 to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM
veduta
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default OK, where do you guys search when you're looking for a 911 to purchase

Been on the hunt for a decent SC in the $15K price range. I don't expect it to be a show car but mechanically sound yes. It will be a weekend driver only with the hopes that I will be able to learn how to do some basic repairs and maybe even eventually some challenging ones too. I've always wanted one and would love to have a project on the weekends but the car has to be reliable. I am constantly looking on EBAY as well as Rennlist and Pelican classifieds but finding what I'm looking for has proven very difficult. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM
kshafer1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased my 1979 SC back in August. I too was browsing ebay, rennlist, and pelican in addition to craigslist. My SC was on ebay but didn't meet the reserve. I contacted the seller (a wholesaler who was just flipping the car) after the auction, obtained lots of information including the previous owner and shop that maintained the car, made a few calls, flew out a few days later to look at the car and made a deal. While I didn't have a PPI done, I did have enough information about the state of the car from the previous owner and mechanic to know that it was a solid car with no mechanical issues.

Every time I drive my SC I have a smile on my face and can't believe I waited so long to get my dream car. Keep looking and I'm sure you will find your car.

--> Pictures <--

<-- that picture is me just about to drive the car for the first time
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 PM
veduta
Instructor

Great story! I'll keep looking. Was yours close to my price range? It's beautiful!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
kshafer1
Intermediate

Yes - same price range and pretty much the same story here. I wanted a sound mechanical car that I could tinker with.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine two years ago off of Craigslist. It was close to your price range. I searched the same places you have plus Craigslist (and even found one viable candidate on Hemmings).
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM
wolds
Advanced

Bought my 83SC off Craigslist last August also. Had to venture into enemy territory (Michigan) to get it.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found mine years ago on Yahoo's classified section for autos. No picture, just about 4 lines of text. I drove almost 7 hours to go look at it, and a week later flew back and bought it.

Try searchtempest.com if you want to use craigslist. I've found all sorts of stuff that way, from light towers, to trucks, tools, etc.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM
veduta
Instructor

Default Great call

On the tempest thing. Turning up many new adds.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine came from Craigslist after it hadn't sold "in all the usual places". A word to the wise: If you're looking for a $15K car, have $2-5K in your back pocket for repairs that will only become obvious a few weeks after you buy it.

Quick Reply: OK, where do you guys search when you're looking for a 911 to purchase